Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:14 PM

418 posts, read 564,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
When the public debates on the health care issue, they only debate two of the options = UHC versus private insurance. I think we need to explore other alternatives since I think UHC will not work and we know that private insurance is not working either.

Why do people fall for the lies that our government will actually be responsive to the people's needs when it has been proven time and again that it is not? Take SS for example, this is the biggest governmental ripoff that I know of. Most Americans pay tons of money into it for such as small return. What happens if someone dies before they can collect their benefits? If SS works so well, why do many governmental employees pay into the system instead of their pension programs? As I said previously, I have worked for two separate governmental entities in CA and a portion of my earnings went into pensions and zero into SS.

Although UHC appears to be the solution, I'm not so confident about trusting the government to handle this when it has bungled so many other programs. Take public education: We pay more per child than at any time in our history, yet we are seeing such low returns in terms of graduation rates, test scores and overall quality. Many of our public schools have turned into crime zones and the government is so apathetic.

SS and education are just two examples of government-run programs that have gone bad. How do we expect the government to be any different with UHC?
I get you... however, beyond UHC(in all its variants) and private insurance, there is no other "specific" option. You can have both running at the same time, of course.

The problem in US is, that govt is extremely corrupt, and often pockets money from paid taxes.

It takes great effort to run social systems, and everything else. It seems that all other western govts are far more capable of running social services, UHC etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 03:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
When the public debates on the health care issue, they only debate two of the options = UHC versus private insurance. I think we need to explore other alternatives since I think UHC will not work and we know that private insurance is not working either.

Why do people fall for the lies that our government will actually be responsive to the people's needs when it has been proven time and again that it is not? Take SS for example, this is the biggest governmental ripoff that I know of. Most Americans pay tons of money into it for such as small return. What happens if someone dies before they can collect their benefits? If SS works so well, why do many governmental employees pay into the system instead of their pension programs? As I said previously, I have worked for two separate governmental entities in CA and a portion of my earnings went into pensions and zero into SS.

Although UHC appears to be the solution, I'm not so confident about trusting the government to handle this when it has bungled so many other programs. Take public education: We pay more per child than at any time in our history, yet we are seeing such low returns in terms of graduation rates, test scores and overall quality. Many of our public schools have turned into crime zones and the government is so apathetic.

SS and education are just two examples of government-run programs that have gone bad. How do we expect the government to be any different with UHC?
Although I always welcome and appreciate any input from others, for my post above, I would like to hear from US citizens. Thank you.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:18 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
I don't think there is a Govt that isn't corrupt. That's why safegaurds are put into place to stop the corruption in the NHS. Every year the finances are published and open to public scrutiny. Also there are Primary Care TRusts to monitor and regulate the Area system.
Scope & Accountability - Oxfordshire PCT

Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I don't think there is a Govt that isn't corrupt. That's why safegaurds are put into place to stop the corruption in the NHS. Every year the finances are published and open to public scrutiny. Also there are Primary Care TRusts to monitor and regulate the Area system.
Scope & Accountability - Oxfordshire PCT
Maybe it is so, but there is however significant difference between nations in this matter. Some are more, some less, and some literally "free of corruption".

Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,691,981 times
Quote:

I've read this kind of argument from a lot of Americans. I mean, if this common mistrust of Government is so widespread, why don't you try to change it? America is a democracy (ok, a Representative Republic), you can vote and make your leaders work for your own welfare instead of corporations', as it clearly happens with this whole health issue.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I've read this kind of argument from a lot of Americans. I mean, if this common mistrust of Government is so widespread, why don't you try to change it? America is a democracy (ok, a Representative Republic), you can vote and make your leaders work for your own welfare instead of corporations', as it clearly happens with this whole health issue.
Yeah, right on spot.

However, the system of corporations is so strong, that nobody can break it. It literally completely runs America, and writes laws.

Remember, when US min wage was raised, it had to be together with tax cuts for corps. To whole other western world, this is something they can't understand. Nowhere else can you find such mistrust for govt. Even though they have far tougher job, when running all these systems.

For instance, Walmart is pushing its workers to vote repub etc.

Unfortunately, there aren't many options out there... Dems, repub... both corrupt.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:25 PM

I agree Has. The only way to get change is to "make it happen". Too many people on here are self satisfied and against a change in the "status quo" no matter how much better the alternative is.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:28 PM

I loved how people were condemning Walmart. When the financial squeeze hit them, they were straight down to Walmart. Maybe the same will apply to the health System. Once the employees health is no longer available or the Insurance becomes way too prohibitive or they restrict even more of the Chronic sick, these same opposers of a UHI will be shouting for health reform.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I agree Has. The only way to get change is to "make it happen". Too many people on here are self satisfied and against a change in the "status quo" no matter how much better the alternative is.
Like I said, the issue here is with how US govt runs in general... not only HC.

We could speak about working hours, min salary, paid maternal leave, UHC etc. It doesn't matter. The problem is in what I said above.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:34 PM

Fortunately for America there are 50 States. Each State would be responsible for the day to day running of its health system. There would be a Primary Care Trust in each state to monitor the system. This would be run by a board of delegates from the medical field, administration experts and the public. The Govt. would finance through tax. The PCT, could also obtain more funding by hiring out facilities to private health, etc. The local G.P's would work hand in hand with the Hospitals. The finances would be published each year and open to public scrutiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies