Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,151,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't know a single person here in California who is itching to move away. Not one. This includes business people, artists, business owners and everyone in between. Yeah, California has issues...so does every single other state out there, and you have to decide what you're willing to compromise on and what you're not.
As it happens, I am itching to move away... CA used to be a good place to live and do business, but increasing costs and gov't interference, not to mention the proliferation of fruitcakes, have made it untenable for me.

That something as nuts as the "wealth tax" could get, what was it, 600,000 signatures? goes to prove the point. I expect if it had made the ballot, it would have gotten around 30-40% YES votes, even if it didn't pass. That's about the usual amount now for really wacko measures that don't pass... and don't forget, this is the state whose voters outlawed modern egg production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
As it happens, I am itching to move away... CA used to be a good place to live and do business, but increasing costs and gov't interference, not to mention the proliferation of fruitcakes, have made it untenable for me.

That something as nuts as the "wealth tax" could get, what was it, 600,000 signatures? goes to prove the point. I expect if it had made the ballot, it would have gotten around 30-40% YES votes, even if it didn't pass. That's about the usual amount now for really wacko measures that don't pass... and don't forget, this is the state whose voters outlawed modern egg production.
Our business is doing pretty well in California.

Although the 'fruitcakes' comment is interesting...what exactly do you mean by 'fruitcakes'?

And the Prop2 issues.... I can say that I was in support of that prop after being involved in the livestock and dairy industry for many, many years.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
California now wants to impose a 55% Wealth Tax.
Spoiler
This would be above and beyond what they collect in state income tax.

That's a tax on ASSETS, not income...

What are they going to use this money for?

That's right. They want to use it to buy a controlling interest in Fortune 500 companies. That would mean that the state of California would effectively own Exxon Mobil, Chevron, General Motors, Citibank, etc...

Want to leave? Pay up. Died while you were here? Pay up.

They want to go from a 9.3% maximum income tax to a 35% max. That's nearly a 400% increase. Considering that $150k/year is not really a lot of money in places like Los Angeles, this is particularly troubling. $150k is a good salary, but would you put those people in the same category as the people with $40 million in assets?

What would the effect of this new bill be?

I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that I left California. They're out of control and this is exactly the sort of thing that drove me away. I guarantee that if this makes it through the petition process and gets put on the ballot, you're going to see a mass exodus of money, businesses and people from the state.

Edit: Forgot the link...
http://www.lao.ca.gov/ballot/2008/080587.pdf
It's that or a federal bail out. So we can let the Cali's pay their own bill or the rest of the nation pay it.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,027 times
The proposal in the OP seems quite reactionary, and I doubt it will pass, but I don't know a whole lot about California politics, aside from the political geography.

Any Californians have anything to say about CA Proposition 13? From what I understand, that's been a big issue for the state, yet it seems like something that would be quite popular among the posters in this thread.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
The proposal in the OP seems quite reactionary, and I doubt it will pass, but I don't know a whole lot about California politics, aside from the political geography.

Any Californians have anything to say about CA Proposition 13? From what I understand, that's been a big issue for the state, yet it seems like something that would be quite popular among the posters in this thread.
Yes... Prop 13 is the only saving grace for many.

The voters of California did something the Legislature refused to do... Prop 13 benefits each and every property owner by providing a uniform framework through-out the State by making Taxes predictable and requiring voters to approve new taxes and limits annual increases to a maximum of 2%

Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
It's that or a federal bail out. So we can let the Cali's pay their own bill or the rest of the nation pay it.
California sends far more dollars to the Federal Government than it receives... keeping the difference would be enough to pay it's bills.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:10 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,328 times
As for a freak prop getting 35-40% of votes,we have to see it as a harmless game people play...

They know it will not pass,so they don't put themselves in logic discipline...

It's like the wako referendum in Switzerland to abolish...the military...It got an unbelievable 38% of the vote...

A prop to confiscate the property of the Jews in USA ,to balance the budget,would get ...30% in CA...

On crazy propositions,u got crazy voting phenomenons...

Old 04-14-2010, 05:44 PM

23,843 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
I started this thread two years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies