Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:26 PM

190 posts, read 848,987 times

Advertisements

UPDATE 8 August 2008 ~ War has broken out between Georgia and South Ossetia. At least 10 Russian troops have been killed and 30 wounded and 2 Russian fighter jets downed. American Marines, a thousand of them, have recently been in Georgia training the Georgian military forces. Several European nations stopped Bush and others from allowing Georgia into NATO. Russia is moving a large military force with armor towards the area. This could get bad, and remember it is just a strategic diversion....but one that could have horrific effects.

http://europebusines.blogspot.com/2008/08/massive-us-naval-armada-heads-for-iran.html (broken link)

What does the author mean by "Russia coming to the aid of South Ossetia is just a strategic diversion"? A diversion from what? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Not satisfied by threatening to attack Iran, Cheney now intends to attack Russia? The thousand year war begins. I wonder if this has something to do with the Caspian Sea basin natural gas reserves? I’ll bet it does.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:53 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Not satisfied by threatening to attack Iran, Cheney now intends to attack Russia? The thousand year war begins. I wonder if this has something to do with the Caspian Sea basin natural gas reserves? I’ll bet it does.

USA has no interest in Russia but Iran yes .
We arent going to get involved other than a few speeches when it comes to Russia/Georgia

I suspect Israel will strike Iran surprised they have waited this long.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
These are the reasons I have zero faith in humanity...

Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 PM

190 posts, read 848,987 times
Back to the original question:
how could Russia involving itself in Georgia/South Osettia be a strategic diversion?
IS Russia trying to divert attention from the anti-missile system it is selling to Iran shortly?
Is Russia trying to divert attention from the naval armada it is sending to help Iran against the upcoming UN naval blockade of Iran?
Is Russia trying to divert attention from its attempts to crush the warming relationship between the US and Georgia?

Quote:
I wonder if this has something to do with the Caspian Sea basin natural gas reserves? I’ll bet it does.
As a matter of fact, read this snippet:
Israel has a stake in the Azeri oil fields, from which it imports some twenty percent of its oil. The opening of the [Baku-Ceyhan] pipeline will substantially enhance Israeli oil imports from the Caspian sea basin.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Your link continues, "The intent is to create a US/EU naval blockade (which is an Act of War under international law) around Iran (with supporting air and land elements) to prevent the shipment of benzene and certain other refined oil products headed to Iranian ports. Iran has limited domestic oil refining capacity and imports 40% of its benzene. Cutting off benzene and other key products would cripple the Iranian economy. The neo-cons are counting on such a blockade launching a war with Iran."

Oh, my God! Look at the list of ships going out there!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 PM

edit - this was last week evidently. Whew...we all seem to be alive still, for now

okay, back to John Edwards's love child!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:12 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Can you smell it? It's the smell of SHTF. And to think those idiots on wall street are selling oil. The time to buy commodities is now. $$$

Old 08-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Can you smell it? It's the smell of SHTF. And to think those idiots on wall street are selling oil. The time to buy commodities is now. $$$
I didnt see a mention of all this war games business last week in market news though I wasnt looking for it. Did you? I just now looked back for news and didnt see any out of the ordinary talk - no recent war games influencing the price of oil that I could see.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:28 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
It's on the internet it's got to be true. Run for cover! WWIII!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies