Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Obviously.

Guns are part of our culture; and hunting is a part of it as well.

We're Americans, and no matter how hard you liberals try to take away or squelch our traditions and American behaviors, those of us who care about "being American" and what that means, are going to fight you tooth and nail, to the day we die.
I'm a liberal and would never dream of taking away your guns, I have no problems with guns or hunting. I realize that puts me at odds with many other liberals, however you would be surprised how many other "average" liberals feel the same as I do.

What I do have a problem with is with the belief that only conservatives care about "being American"...to me that is the pinnacle of arrogance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:48 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I'm a liberal and would never dream of taking away your guns, I have no problems with guns or hunting. I realize that puts me at odds with many other liberals, however you would be surprised how many other "average" liberals feel the same as I do.

What I do have a problem with is with the belief that only conservatives care about "being American"...to me that is the pinnacle of arrogance.
I said that a bit earlier when I stated that, even though I did not come from a hunting tradition, I had no problem with the concept, or practice, and even though I've never participated in hunting, I am not opposed to the idea. I suspect there are more than a few of us who share that view.

And yes, I do truly agree with you that it is arrogance and ignorance for one side of the political and/or social spectrum to claim sole ownership of the incredibly nuanced sociological notion of what it is to be part of 'America'.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:39 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
shooting guns is childish? or were just focusing on the paint ball thing i brought up. that takes care of just one urge/itch.

but that still dont negate the fact that hunting is cowardly. cant deny that can you? run up on an animal, then maybe you can callo yourself a hunter.

and i go to the range just in case i gotta shoot some thugs. I LIVE IN LA AFTERALL...

signed, sad person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
People dont sharpen their shooting skills hunting. They sharpen them for hunting.
But what can you expect from someone who goes to gun ranges, out door gun ranges! (Whuppie!), to sharpen their skills so they can go shoot paint balls at other people. A person that can compare a fake childish game with the down to earth reality of hunting is a sad person indeed.

Animals are never unsuspecting. Its their nature to question everything & they know things are trying to kill them. The clueless are those that think its better for a cow to live its life only to feed some slob than it is for a deer to live its life until maybe a predator gets it. Most game animals survive, no livestock does.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:09 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
"Stewards of the Land" You mean your family are employed to keep the animal population down? Some "well adjusted" people start by killing animals and then move on to humans. A FBI profiler said that when you look for multi killers you should look into their history and you will find that they started by first killing animals. I'm sure your children Greatday are well adjusted but there are some who are not. How do you tell the difference when teaching them as children how to kill?
There is a difference between hunting and cruelty to animals.

You are purposely muddying the water. People who "start by killing animals and then move on to humans" don't usually kill game animals while hunting. Jeffery Dahmer, Ted Bundy, and other serial killers (and a few hitmen like Richard Kuklinski) were not out there hunting elk or geese, they were setting fire to cats and dogs and beating them death with baseball bats. If you cannot see the difference between hunting animals for food (obviously with a bit of sport thrown in) and torturing domestic animals just for amusement than you are either really dense or a PETArd.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:13 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Do you eat meat?

I already know where you are headed with this, and yes I do.

Serial killers take animals like pets, especially cats and do weird sick **** to them. They don't hunt animals, they torture their pets or neighbors pets. Light them on fire, peel off their skin, etc. Look up profiles of serial killers, these were all traits of their childhood.

Also, I myself can't stomach hunting because I love animals too much to kill them, but I have no problem whatsoever towards people who hunt. It is also good for the deer population if they aren't overpopulated, otherwise they starve to death.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:16 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times
No. Kids are shooting animals. And the next thing you know, they're turning from normal kids to gangbangers.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:18 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
To those calling me ignorant for pinning the blame for gun-grabbing on liberals, I am hard pressed to find a conservative who has pushed for more gun legislation that restricts law-abiding gun owners.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:19 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
No. Kids are shooting animals. And the next thing you know, they're turning from normal kids to gangbangers.
lol you're being facetious...right?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
OP is anti-hunting and anti-gun, I think.

When a kid is of age to hunt, if the family hunts, go for it. We did; venson is common in the freezer as are wild turkeys.(Yes, we have hunting licenses). My husband also does bow season and muzzleloader. Our kids are both quite adept at gun handling and both have Criminal justice degrees.... the learning how to use the guns didn't hurt there either.

BTW, stick to your state laws. Some don't allow 9 years olds to shoot on a license and most need to learn on a smaller "varmint" rifle (.22) or shotgun (410) before a gun that will easily take a deer without just wounding it.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:22 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times
I'm quite serious. There's a lot of bad kids these days. The way I see it, more kids, more criminals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
lol you're being facetious...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies