Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
So what are you trying to say? That Clinton was a liar and a slimeball? I happen to agree!
You need to go read the WHOLE post I was replying to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Most ot the time I agree with you but not with the "China has taught the rest of the world how to do business" They just have a lot of cheap labor and can undercut the rest of the world on pricing...nothing more.
China, as a neo facist dictatorship, is a very efficient country when it comes to doing anything. When they decide to build an Olympic complex inclusing a 90,000+ seat arena, they simply select a site and go to the land and tell whoever has it that they have a week to vacate it and move elsewhere. And a week later bulldozers are clearing the land and cement trucks are pouring the footings. The Chinese do not have the political "niceness" of having to go through courts, compensate landowners, do environmental impact studies, get permits and everything else we have to do here. And they don't have to "put up" with neighbours that oppose it running to court and blocking their progress.
The question is then, how does a politically liberal democracy like the USA compete with that. The answer is that we can't.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
So you are saying that there are NO citizen rights in China? Just bulldoze and forget the citizens?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
a politically liberal democracy? um, no. we are a constitutional republic. what you described about the government taking the peoples land, um, that never happens in your "liberal democracy?" funny, I would say it happens quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
China, as a neo facist dictatorship, is a very efficient country when it comes to doing anything. When they decide to build an Olympic complex inclusing a 90,000+ seat arena, they simply select a site and go to the land and tell whoever has it that they have a week to vacate it and move elsewhere. And a week later bulldozers are clearing the land and cement trucks are pouring the footings. The Chinese do not have the political "niceness" of having to go through courts, compensate landowners, do environmental impact studies, get permits and everything else we have to do here. And they don't have to "put up" with neighbours that oppose it running to court and blocking their progress.
The question is then, how does a politically liberal democracy like the USA compete with that. The answer is that we can't.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
So you are saying that there are NO citizen rights in China? Just bulldoze and forget the citizens?
Yeah, that's pretty much the way they do it.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:38 AM

And you think that is OK?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
And you think that is OK?
Where did I say that ? You asked a question, I answered it.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I thought you accused me of being a square. if we can get another opinion, perhaps we could triangulate our thoughts. on topic, this is pretty absurd. I know people who do work in china, and didn't think it was this backwards.
You may be interested to know that all the letters of the word "square" are actually present in your name, albeit in jumbled order. This is surely prophetic and signifies the reasoning behind the imaginary accusation that you have accused me of making but that I did not actually make. As for China... racial discrimination doesn't really fit in with communist dogma, does it? Then again, neither do corporate sweatshops and flimsy labor regulations... are Cuba and North Korea the lone "survivors" now I guess? They must be feeling pretty lonely.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 AM

OK so you disagree with how China treats its Citizens?
"The Chinese do not have the political "niceness" of having to go through courts, compensate landowners, do environmental impact studies, get permits and everything else we have to do here. And they don't have to "put up" with neighbours that oppose it running to court and blocking their progress."
I just thought from this statement that you agreed with them. No Prob.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
OK so you disagree with how China treats its Citizens?
"The Chinese do not have the political "niceness" of having to go through courts, compensate landowners, do environmental impact studies, get permits and everything else we have to do here. And they don't have to "put up" with neighbours that oppose it running to court and blocking their progress."
I just thought from this statement that you agreed with them. No Prob.
One thing we need to learn as Americans is what others do around the world is really none of our business. We need to clean up our own backyard first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies