Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:08 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times

Advertisements

I'm not really big on welfare programs, but I got to give the OP some rep.

I've met some people who have been screwing the system (anecdotal evidence and you can't verify it, but I'm not lying), but most people on welfare don't and it's not like welfare is a walk in the park. When people go on about how great Medicaid or public housing is great to on, I do not think those people are in tune with reality. There are lots of bureaucratic nonsense with free healthcare and public housing is only a success in the sense that the people in housing projects aren't homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 AM

932 posts, read 1,676,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
In what way?

Prove it.

Of course. In typical liberal fashion, when confronted with facts you scream racism and run away.

Now I'm going to beat up on you some more.

"Recipiency and dependency rates are higher for non-Hispanic blacks and Hispanics than for non-Hispanic whites, as shown in Table SUM 1. "

Because the Black population is 12% nationwide, of course they are going to have the highest number of people on welfare. I really can not speak on the issue of Hispanics because I rather not go there. Also your data is correct CHILDREN are the recipients of welfare the most. something you seem not to get. The data over the years has stayed relatively constant throughout all demographics so what really is your point?

70% within 24 months? This contradicts:

"Indicator 9, for example, shows that among individuals receiving AFDC/TANF at some point over a ten-year period ending in 2000, 18 percent received some welfare during six or more years. Another 31 percent were recipients in three to five years, and more than half (51 percent) received welfare in only one or two years."

From your data source, "Welfare dependence, like poverty, is a continuum, with variations in degree and in duration. Families may be more or less dependent if larger or smaller shares of their total resources are derived from welfare programs. The amount of time over which a family depends on welfare might also be considered in assessing its degree of dependence." They admit that various circumstances indicate who stays dependent on welfare the longest. They did not include however, what was the cause of people to be dependent if 50% of their income was from TANF/AFDC and SSI which is for people with disabilities.

Indicators of Welfare Dependence: Annual Report to Congress, 2007: Introduction and Overview
You can not beat up on somebody when you already stated that every person on welfare drive mercedes benz. When you have proof of that then I'll retract my statements. That was the main point of me posting this. You sir are out of touch with poor America.

And yes I'll run away when someone uses stereotypes to justify their opinions and pass them on as fact. Its very poisonious.

Obviously you don't have anything to say about my post. Thanks for the debate though, it was very much appreciated.

Last edited by LoveMiiorHateMii; 08-13-2008 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
I'm going to say something perhaps controversial: "work" has no value in itself. It's often parroted that people on welfare need to "work" for it, that people who don't work should feel ashamed, etc., but this is actually quite untrue. Quite the contrary, there is not much to be learned by work in itself. Often times, too much work in fact seems to have a detrimental effect on the human spirit.

Just think about this seriously for yourself, do you live to work, or work to live? I would suggest if it is the former, that you are a very spiritually impoverished person. Our culture goes to great lengths to make people view themselves it terms of money or status, but ultimately these things are empty of any meaning.

This is why I think workfare is wrong. The whole concept is morally bankrupt. It's about telling other people what is important in their life, instead of letting them discover what is important for themselves. It lacks compassion and concern for the wellbeing of others. Just think about it this way, that time you force somebody to work is time that person could be using to develope themselves, to sort out any problems in their own life. Instead, they are busy working. They don't have time to get more education, to take care of any of their children, and it could even threaten their ability to engage in spiritually and physically beneficial activities, such as prayer, exercise, or meditation. All those things are reduced by the work requirement.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Experience means that when I was young my mother( a single mother at that) was on welfare. I remember having to eat foods from the food banks that were not nutrious,but thats what we had to eat. I remember my mother having to sleep on the floor in the living room so that me and my brother could sleep in the bed.

I remember my friend's father getting killed in a drive by in front of an ice cream truck. My mother has a scar on her forehead when she pushes us and herself in the bushes. I remember my mother stealing food and school supplies from the Save-alot. I remember the babysitters apartment with at least 30 kids crammed in it.
I remember being scared to death of roaches and mice. I remember standing inside my mothers coat while she held my brother waiting for the bus in the 1996 blizzard

But through all of that and more my mother has come out on top and so have her kids. My dad came back into my life and helped me out tremendously. My mother just recently purchased her first house at the age of 45. She worked hard as hell and still does. She started in the government as a gs 1. They paid for her to go to college where she earned her bachelors in accounting recently. Now she is a GS 14. It took her a long time to get there but she is there.

I know of others who are also on welfare now and do not drive mercedes, lexus' and have 10 kids like some of you like to believe.

Some of you all sit in your nice as$ house and have been spoon fed all your life but claim to know what the hell is going on. Give that up and live like some of the poor I know in DC and Prince George's County, and see how that ish feel.

So yes, I know what its like and I can speak on it. Its called life sir. Some of us have and some of us do not.

Travel the country. Some places still have well water!
Well said. You have wisdom far beyond your years. Stay in college. The country needs educated thoughtful people.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
I am sure a compliment from you will make his day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Well said. You have wisdom far beyond your years. Stay in college. The country needs educated thoughtful people.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I am sure a compliment from you will make his day.
I love all compliments since I am a girlie girl. Thanks rlchurch.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
oops, sorry. I referred to you as "his." my bad. her.

Quote:
I love all compliments since I am a girlie girl. Thanks rlchurch.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Experience means that when I was young my mother( a single mother at that) was on welfare. I remember having to eat foods from the food banks that were not nutrious,but thats what we had to eat. I remember my mother having to sleep on the floor in the living room so that me and my brother could sleep in the bed.

I remember my friend's father getting killed in a drive by in front of an ice cream truck. My mother has a scar on her forehead when she pushes us and herself in the bushes. I remember my mother stealing food and school supplies from the Save-alot. I remember the babysitters apartment with at least 30 kids crammed in it.
I remember being scared to death of roaches and mice. I remember standing inside my mothers coat while she held my brother waiting for the bus in the 1996 blizzard

But through all of that and more my mother has come out on top and so have her kids. My dad came back into my life and helped me out tremendously. My mother just recently purchased her first house at the age of 45. She worked hard as hell and still does. She started in the government as a gs 1. They paid for her to go to college where she earned her bachelors in accounting recently. Now she is a GS 14. It took her a long time to get there but she is there.

I know of others who are also on welfare now and do not drive mercedes, lexus' and have 10 kids like some of you like to believe.

Some of you all sit in your nice as$ house and have been spoon fed all your life but claim to know what the hell is going on. Give that up and live like some of the poor I know in DC and Prince George's County, and see how that ish feel.

So yes, I know what its like and I can speak on it. Its called life sir. Some of us have and some of us do not.

Travel the country. Some places still have well water!
And it looks as if your are trying to better your life from what you had as a kid by going to college.

Spoon fed all of my life my ass. No one gave me anything, I worked for what I have, and It isn't that much, but I did work for it.

I too remember going without food as a child, but that only makes or should make someone want better for their kids and that is what I worked for.

And you should be proud of your mother as I am sure you are. See even she has taught you one of lifes little lessons, if you want to better your life you need to work hard for it and not depend on welfare or you will never bring yourself up.

You talk as being poor is something that is new, well it's not.

I've done more than just travel the country, I've traveled the world thanks to the United States Army.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
And it looks as if your are trying to better your life from what you had as a kid by going to college.

Spoon fed all of my life my ass. No one gave me anything, I worked for what I have, and It isn't that much, but I did work for it.

I too remember going without food as a child, but that only makes or should make someone want better for their kids and that is what I worked for.

And you should be proud of your mother as I am sure you are. See even she has taught you one of lifes little lessons, if you want to better your life you need to work hard for it and not depend on welfare or you will never bring yourself up.

You talk as being poor is something that is new, well it's not.

I've done more than just travel the country, I've traveled the world thanks to the United States Army.
Humbled I am. She is the reason I posted this because we never had a car until i was in the sixth grade. All this people drive this and that luxury car isn't true. The only mercedes I rode in belongs to my uncle, who owns a business. Thanks Houston3

Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Humbled I am. She is the reason I posted this because we never had a car until i was in the sixth grade. All this people drive this and that luxury car isn't true. The only mercedes I rode in belongs to my uncle, who owns a business. Thanks Houston3
You're welcome and keep going to college. And I was glad to hear you say your father came back into your life and is a help too.

If you go back and read what I have said, I feel family is the most important thing we can have. That is the only thing that will hold this country together.

And you are one up on me, I have never even rode in a mercedes..LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies