Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:21 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,940,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
Recruitment always goes up during a bad economy. People don't have any other options than to sign up. And its usually the poverty stricken areas that have the highest enlistments. Its a sad statistic but its true.
Simple truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,612,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I would dare say if a BHO or any other dem gets in, the numbers will change dramatically downward because of the cuts in the military infrastructure. If you value your freedom, beware BHO or any other dem. Remember Carter? Remember Slick?

Remember Dubya? Remember Cheney??? I'll take BHO any day of the week - he's got my vote...

BTW - maybe one reason the numbers are so high is that government has gutted aide to colleges and college students. It's getting near impossible for a middle-class family to send their kids to college - the only way they can get a higher education is to enlist and hope the military pays for it. IMHO - this was all pre-planned. Gut aid to higher education - make it unaffordable for the average person - and you'll have an endless supply of enlistees for the DOD.

Worked like a charm...

HubbleRules
-

Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,209,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Since when did the military become a last choice....

There is still no better way to get on the job training and schooling all while receiving discipline. Quit down talking our military it's the most counter productive thing that can be done.....by the way they die for you to have the right to down play them...
I'm impressed by the flag waving, truly I am.
I talk with military people daily.
In this bad economy, and it is a bad economy, people join because it's a guaranteed job with some benefits.
Whose rights are they fighting for in Iraq? Mine, hardly. The Iraqi's, unlikely.
Big business, perhaps.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Chilegirl is right...my son just turned down an $80,000 re-inlistment bonus to extend for 18 months...was chicken feed as to what he could make on the outside...and he said it so bluntly..."Being in the Army with the Clintons were the worst years of my life...Obama's coming in and I'm getting out."
Did his time and we are having a parade with a lot of flags when he comes home to West Virginia...one of the so called 'poverty stricken areas...ha ha ha....
Funny, I hear the opposite.
My buddies weren't being put in danger's way for petrol resources during the Clinton administration.
I know lots of people getting out now for political reasons. They don't like being single soldiers/airmen during this conflict.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:56 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
its all perspective where you are standing. a 9 trillion dollar debt looks great if its going towards your salary or a loved one. DOD a mixed blessing.
blowing things up and rebuilding never really made much sense to me.
hey but what do i know, im retired.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,362,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm impressed by the flag waving, truly I am.
I talk with military people daily.
In this bad economy, and it is a bad economy, people join because it's a guaranteed job with some benefits.
Whose rights are they fighting for in Iraq? Mine, hardly. The Iraqi's, unlikely.
Big business, perhaps.

Yes just a bunch of reg. jobs with no meaning....They just take them cause they are there.

Enlistments are up and it's in the budget to increase the army.

Unemployment rates are along the same lines as with Clinton 's legacy.
Unemployment Rate US (Recent History)

The military is still one of the best choices for a young person to make. Schooling, housing, pay, trainings....ect.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Funny, I hear the opposite.
My buddies weren't being put in danger's way for petrol resources during the Clinton administration.
I know lots of people getting out now for political reasons. They don't like being single soldiers/airmen during this conflict.

"Between 1993 and 2001, the Army went from 572,423 to 480,801, which is a decline of 16 percent. The entire military went from 1,705,103 to 1,385,116, a decrease of 18.8 percent."

Factchecking Republicans on Bill Clinton and Military Spending - Liberal Values - Defending Liberty and Enlightened Thought

Military budgeting determines if people enlist or not.The economy has little effect. People enlisted right and left through Bush's admin to get from that 1,385,116 to around 3,000,000.....So now we have a conflict of interest......Bush being the worst demon god ever sent to this earth by the devil Lucifer himself has sent the economy into the drain....or at least that's what some would like you to think. ....Why would people be enlisting.....even at low unemployment rates....http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=248

Did Bush destroy the economy or not. if poor economy was the factor in determining troop enlistment then why do just two admin's contradict that theory.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
"Between 1993 and 2001, the Army went from 572,423 to 480,801, which is a decline of 16 percent. The entire military went from 1,705,103 to 1,385,116, a decrease of 18.8 percent."

Factchecking Republicans on Bill Clinton and Military Spending - Liberal Values - Defending Liberty and Enlightened Thought

Military budgeting determines if people enlist or not.The economy has little effect. People enlisted right and left through Bush's admin to get from that 1,385,116 to around 3,000,000.....So now we have a conflict of interest......Bush being the worst demon god ever sent to this earth by the devil Lucifer himself has sent the economy into the drain....or at least that's what some would like you to think. ....Why would people be enlisting.....even at low unemployment rates....http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=248

Did Bush destroy the economy or not. if poor economy was the factor in determining troop enlistment then why do just two admin's contradict that theory.
During a time of peace when people aren't getting blown to bits for oil, there's no need for a large military.

Unlike during the Bush administration. Show me where true unemployment rates are low. Note, I said true unemployment rates, to include all unemployed people, not just those collecting unemployment.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
During a time of peace when people aren't getting blown to bits for oil, there's no need for a large military.

Unlike during the Bush administration. Show me where true unemployment rates are low. Note, I said true unemployment rates, to include all unemployed people, not just those collecting unemployment.

That wasn't good enough for you because it didn't support your theory. Then it's on you to find facts that debunk what I put up. We needed a military when Clinton was in office...but the farther back it got scaled the more it gave the open opportunity for 9/11.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,940,580 times
Quote:

The military is still one of the best choices for a young person to make. Schooling, housing, pay, trainings....ect.

Yeah right....and dying for crooked politicians and big business. Then when you get your legs blown off, the government tosses you to the side and won't even give you proper care.

My kids will never join the military if I have anything to say about it. I'll work 3 jobs round the clock to put them through school before I'd let them sign their lives over to the military and put their lives in the hands of Dubya, Cheney, or any other politician to use as cannon fodder to line their wallets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies