Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 PM

375 posts, read 782,078 times

Advertisements

Gratitudes to Lovemiiorhatemii for making this great topic. Required reading for those of you who still buy into the myth that the disadvantage poor of this country are who are really sucking the life's blood from it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...are-myths.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
But I bet 99% of you all do.

My question is when is the herd finally going to wake up and realize that the problems we now face in the US are the direct result of corporate greed and government backed welfare initiatives that support the most wealthy in this country? Even the immigration problem can be set squarely at the feet of greedy corps that rather place the stability of our social services at risk than pay legal American citizens actual working wages.

So what is the answer people? What do we do?CQ Politics | Most Corporations DonĂ¢€™t Pay Income Taxes: GAO (http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=3&docID=news-000002937306 - broken link)
I'm not sure if you even read the article. It's pretty standard, really. If a corporation does not turn a profit in 2008, it will not pay taxes for 2008. That isn't exactly anything new, novel or even noteworthy. The same courtesy is extended to all of us. Further, a corporation with a net worth of $250 million is still on the smallish, independent side of the spectrum and is actually a prime target for acquisition. To avoid being gobbled by the big fish, a corporation of that size has to carry considerable debt to present a less attractive target, so it should be no surprise if the numbers are in the red at the end of the year. I don't know if it is true that 55% of corporations didn't pay taxes in 2007, but I can guarantee you that if that percentage was weighted by net worth, the percentage would be in the single digits. The government does not let corporations run wild and pay no taxes. To the contrary, I'm sure that any corporation would be more than happy to be taxed at the highest level levied against private citizens.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
We have the second highest corporate taxes in the worold how. I thnik you need to look at all the corporate taxes and really get a idea of what taxes are payed by who. Its like the top tax payers pay a huge per centage of the toatl taxes collected. Lokk at all texes paid and you will see where ht eral money comes from and it isn't you or I. In fact many lower income earners actaully get more money back than their payroll deductions thru unearn income credit.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
We have the second highest corporate taxes in the worold how. I thnik you need to look at all the corporate taxes and really get a idea of what taxes are payed by who. Its like the top tax payers pay a huge per centage of the toatl taxes collected. Lokk at all texes paid and you will see where ht eral money comes from and it isn't you or I. In fact many lower income earners actaully get more money back than their payroll deductions thru unearn income credit.
-------------

Problem is seems like many are simply not paying these corporate taxes .

Old 08-12-2008, 01:51 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
-------------

Problem is seems like many are simply not paying these corporate taxes .
Have you ever been audited? The IRS even chases small accounts. They pay really close attention to the big ones and have much more leverage against a corporation than against you or me.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Hmmm let's see...they are already going over seas in groups of 1,000 every day and you want to tax them more? Yup looks like it will be groups of 2,000 a day...

Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Oh, and don't let the fact that they employ thousands of citizens get in the way of taking more money from those greedy corporations.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This problem pales in comparison to entitlement programs, such as Section 8 housing, food stamps, welfare, WIC, etc. At least corporations are producing something tangible, and employing others. In contrast, perpetually unemployed people do nothing except to take from society. It is time to start demonizing this segment of the population, and to stop bashing achievement.
The segment of the population you describe has always been demonized. As for contributing nothing to society, it could be possible that their not being in the labor pool helps to bolster wages for the people in the lower-level jobs that they would otherwise be desperate for as a means of survival. Not sure if so, but possible.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:07 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This problem pales in comparison to entitlement programs, such as Section 8 housing, food stamps, welfare, WIC, etc. At least corporations are producing something tangible, and employing others. In contrast, perpetually unemployed people do nothing except to take from society. It is time to start demonizing this segment of the population, and to stop bashing achievement.
That is not right. Most of the problems we now face are directly attributable to the government bowing to business and the public be damned.

If we did not grant the energy industry in this country their every wish, we would not be in the mideast mess that we are now in.
We probably would not start wars for oil.
We would certainly be, by now. reaping the benefits of decades of alternate fuel research.
Our economy would not be witnessing raising prices due to fuel increases and the needless war.
Infrastructure, education, health care issues would be addressed due to the extra money freed up.
We would not be in this horror of bad weather due to global warming.
World pollution would certainly be decreased, since India and China would be using the alternate technologies.
Hospitals would not be closing due to all the free services they supply illegal immigrants.
The educational system would not be as strained because of the missing children of illegals.

Almost every major problem that is threatening this county

Old 08-12-2008, 04:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
We may have high corporate taxes, but also the most loopholes, so hardly any business is paying those high taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies