Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
The same goverment that wants you to honor your contract and rightfully so.

Will than turn around a do everything that they can to keep you "prisoner" .

They actually recently raised age think to 42 (not sure) to call back NG and reserves.

The GVMT makes up its own rules as they go along .

I have mixed feelings about this guy . Hope he doesnt get jail time but know he will .
I would be willing to bet that there is a clause in the contract the NG sign that the governement has the right to change the age limit, but I do not know for sure.

He signed a contract, then signed a reenlistment contract, so I find it hard to believe he did not know what he was doing.

This is a contract like any other and when a legally binding contract is broken there are legal ramifications. Why should this man be treated any differently than anyone else?

Last edited by mrstewart; 08-14-2008 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:10 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Most likely because of the false advertising done by the military recruiters office. I remember when I went for my interview the first thing out of their mouth is "go tour the world at the Gov's expense". They also like to say you may never see a day of battle and can very likely end up with a desk job.
---------------

Your so right . I was artillery stupid enough to know what my job was from day 1 (thought it would be "neat" shows the stupidity) but we had a guy in our squad that signed up to be a truck driver.

Since Howitzers are pulled by trucks poor guy wound up in artillery lol and ofcourse he had to do everything we did .

He used to "complain" how he was told he was going to drive a truck and make deliveries lmao. He is out now so its fine.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I would be willing to bet that there is a clause in the contract the NG sign that the governement has the right to change the age limit, but I do not know for sure.

He signed a contract, them he signed a reenlistment contract, so I find it hard to believe he did not know what he was doing.

This is a contract like any other and when a legally binding contract is broken there are legal ramifications. Why should this man be treated any differently than we would anyone else?
------------------
"I would be willing to bet that there is a clause in the contract the NG sign that the governement has the right to change the age limit, but I do not know for sure."

Your correct.

Its in tiny fine print worded so a lawyer needs to decipher it but yes your right.

IMO its wrong to do that but again your correct.

Oh I didnt know he signed a reeup which comes with hefty bonus. Okay you made a great point.

He didnt get the bonus yet as you get it AFTER you do the years (I think as I refused the reeup/bonus just wanted my honorable and OUT).

I still feel bad for him hope he doesn't get jail time but know he will.

I feel bad for him because I have changed ALOT since getting out and think its the Neocon war mongers who should be on front lines yet in truth its those with very little in life who wind up serving in combat jobs.

I dont believe in this system anymore thus that's why feel for the guy but again you make good points and right.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Oh I didnt know he signed a reeup which comes with hefty bonus. Okay you made a great point.

He didnt get the bonus yet as you get it AFTER you do the years (I think as I refused the reeup/bonus just wanted my honorable and OUT).
Not exactly true: Re-enlistment bonus's are paid out over the term of the re-enlistment. My son re-enlisted last year (taking him to 25 years) and is getting $100,000 in bonus money. He received the first allotment right after re-upping, then the next one just this last month, with 3 more to go.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
------------------

A great point, indeed. The soldier in question appears now to be a frustrated thief as well as a deserter.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not exactly true: Re-enlistment bonus's are paid out over the term of the re-enlistment. My son re-enlisted last year (taking him to 25 years) and is getting $100,000 in bonus money. He received the first allotment right after re-upping, then the next one just this last month, with 3 more to go.

$100,ooo to reup ?

Imagine 4 yr plus reup and he is infantry or some needed MOS?

He is E7 or above if NCO , Lt Col or above if officer?

E4 doesnt get that type money to reup and think its not paid till either your time or half your time is done.

Your son is a "lifer" might be different but again I said waant sure because the reeup thing changes every few yrs and based on MOS and rank.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:32 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Most likely because of the false advertising done by the military recruiters office. I remember when I went for my interview the first thing out of their mouth is "go tour the world at the Gov's expense". They also like to say you may never see a day of battle and can very likely end up with a desk job.
Yes, but wouldn't common sense tell you that if you sign up for the military, despite what they may tell you to the contrary, the possibility of going to war is inherent? ...Especially when you sign up to serve during a time of war, like the man in question did?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
$100,ooo to reup ?

E4 doesnt get that type money to reup and think its not paid till either your time or half your time is done.

Your son is a "lifer" might be different but again I said waant sure because the reeup thing changes every few yrs and based on MOS and rank.
I was offered 15K to re-up in 1968. (11B Sgt E-5, infantry squad leader.)

It was in cash, spread over a bunk at the Repo Depo at Bien Hoa, Vietnam, by a re-enlistment officer who had bought me a bunch of beers the night before I was to rotate back to the world.

I said "Make it Fifty grand." (This was 1968, remember....)

He said no.

End of (true) story.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
$100,ooo to reup ?

Navy. Medical

Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Navy. Medical
Okay and his rank has to be above E7 pay grade .

I dont know what that is in Navy rank .

I think if not a MD than Xray technicians -RN -Therapists get high bonus .

Ask your son when you email him or phone if he is higher than E7 pay grade because that type money isnt offered to many none that I can think of under E7.

I am no expert on bonus as it changes yearly but do know few jobs and low ranks don't get that type bonus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies