Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times

Advertisements

Very good initial response to Russia in my point of view:

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — The Polish prime minister says that Poland and the United States have reached an agreement that will see a battery of American missiles established inside Poland, a plan that has infuriated Russia and raised the specter of an escalation of tension with the country.

The Associated Press: US, Poland agree to missile defense deal (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Gotta love the Poles.

They never bought the Commie bullshyt.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
I think we'll see a LOT of "newfound Friends' since Russia is ratteling the sabers again.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:09 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
A top Russian general said Friday that Poland's agreement to accept a U.S. missile defense battery exposes ex-communist nation to attack, possibly by nuclear weapons, the Interfax news agency reported.

The statement by Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn is the strongest threat that Russia has issued against the plans to put missile defense elements in former Soviet satellite nations.

Poland and the United States on Thursday signed a deal for Poland to accept a missile interceptor base as part of a system the United States says is aimed at blocking attacks by rogue nations. Moscow, however, feels it is aimed at Russia's missile force.
"Poland, by deploying (the system) is exposing itself to a strike — 100 percent," Nogovitsyn, the deputy chief of staff, was quoted as saying.

He added, in clear reference to the agreement, that Russia's military doctrine sanctions the use of nuclear weapons "against the allies of countries having nuclear weapons if they in some way help them." Nogovitsyn that would include elements of strategic deterrence systems, he said, according to Interfax.

U.S. officials have said the timing of the deal was not meant to antagonize Russian leaders at a time when relations already are strained over the recent fighting between Russia and Georgia over the South Ossetia region.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...DpsLwD92IMAU02 (broken link)

Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 AM

Now the Czech Republic has to be included rapidly in this deal, along with emergency inclusion of Ukraine into NATO.

Multiple ways to skin a cat, I don't favor sitting back and shaking our head.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Russia warns Poland over U.S. deal - Europe - MSNBC.com
More on the topic of Russian threats toward Poland

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Now the Czech Republic has to be included rapidly in this deal, along with emergency inclusion of Ukraine into NATO.

Multiple ways to skin a cat, I don't favor sitting back and shaking our head.
What in the way of tools do we have to fight the cat without using strategic nuclear weapons?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What in the way of tools do we have to fight the cat without using strategic nuclear weapons?
Keep them busy on multiple fronts. War isn't inevitable. All Russia has is oil and extortion. They are great at intimidation, both other countries and businesses. All you need to do is pull out business expertise, and they can't manage at all.

Let them drown in their own managerial incompetence. I believe we are fairly close to having technology in place to rapidly reduce the need for oil, it just takes some political will to make the investments. Fortunately, I think this Russian action will seal the deal, and we finally get energy independent.

I know it won't happen overnight, but internationally we aren't really that far away.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM

982 posts, read 3,308,107 times
"This is for America. This is for NATO. This is for Bush."

Commentary: Russian bombs' message is 'this is for America' - CNN.com

I would like to find another source to back this up (the writing on the bombs). If it is true, I think that sends a very clear message.

Personally, I think the threats against Poland are suspect. A 'top general' spouts off a blustering script of veiled threats - I wonder why Medvedev hasn't had his own press release about this. I think that's a threat that they aren't fully prepared to go through with.

Ahmadinejad has got to be loving this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies