Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times

Advertisements

I think we just drop that smart-@ss Tennessee kid with his KKK-Confederate Flag belt buckle down in a Harlem school. Let's see if he wants to exercise his rights to free speech there. Some others might want to exercise some of their rights too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 02:43 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
so you are openly advocating violent behavior towards a person wearing a belt buckle? how about we drop off a member of the black panthers in the middle of a klan meeting. would that be productive? your calls of violence from stafford are falling on deaf ears. what are these rights you say others would want to exercise? people don't have the right to physically harm another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I think we just drop that smart-@ss Tennessee kid with his KKK-Confederate Flag belt buckle down in a Harlem school. Let's see if he wants to exercise his rights to free speech there. Some other might want to exercise some of their rights too.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 PM

564 posts, read 892,502 times

What a beautiful t-shirt! Ahhh if only the flag was really flying there...

Old 08-16-2008, 06:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
If the school has a dress code, he should abide by it or get schooled elsewhere.

Another BS lawsuit.
That depends. If the dress code bans "any flag, insignia, symbol" then fine- I agree with you that he should abide by it. But if it only says he cannot wear a confederate symbol, it is a violation of his freedom of speech. The government does not get to pick and choose what speech is acceptable and what is not. If the boy wants to wear that symbol and announce to the school "hey I am trailer park trash", he has the right to do so.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post

What a beautiful t-shirt! Ahhh if only the flag was really flying there...
It would be kind of hard to jack up the thing and put it on wheels wouldn't it?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:42 AM

All sides agree his clothing failed to draw much notice at Anderson High School, where one of 1,160 students is black, or at the vocational school, where all 200 students are white.

But officials worried about the impact at Clinton High School six miles away, where about 100 of 1,200 students are black. Clinton High was the first public school desegregated by court order in the Old South in 1956 and was rocked by three massive explosions that temporarily closed the school in 1958.

They are going to have a hell of time making that argument stick. How is a belt buckle at one school going to cause a race riot at another school 6 miles away? Stupid argument. If I were a lawyer, I would have to try not to laugh while making such a stupid presentation.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:07 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That depends. If the dress code bans "any flag, insignia, symbol" then fine- I agree with you that he should abide by it. But if it only says he cannot wear a confederate symbol, it is a violation of his freedom of speech. The government does not get to pick and choose what speech is acceptable and what is not. If the boy wants to wear that symbol and announce to the school "hey I am trailer park trash", he has the right to do so.
Leaving out the entire debate about the symbolism behind the confederate flag....

He doesn't have that right if he joins the military, works at the post office, or any fast food chain, or as management in a corporation, or a car salesman or as a cashier at Target or Walmart, or even as a teacher in that same school, or, or, or,.......because ALL of those places have dress codes or uniforms!! How is it that people think students are special and should get to 'express themselves' on school grounds when that is not how it works any where else? Ridiculous. As I stated before, he needs to grow up (advice could be taken by a few posters here as well) and realize the world is larger than his little wardrobe issue. If he is going to fight for his 'right' to wear that t-shirt he is going to spend his life unemployed.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Folks, we are getting a little too personal here and should return to the actual topic at hand, which by the way is not each other.

The topic is...

Tennessee Teen Fights For Right to Wear Confederate Flag

Old 08-16-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Leaving out the entire debate about the symbolism behind the confederate flag....

He doesn't have that right if he joins the military, works at the post office, or any fast food chain, or as management in a corporation, or a car salesman or as a cashier at Target or Walmart, or even as a teacher in that same school, or, or, or,.......because ALL of those places have dress codes or uniforms!! How is it that people think students are special and should get to 'express themselves' on school grounds when that is not how it works any where else? Ridiculous. As I stated before, he needs to grow up (advice could be taken by a few posters here as well) and realize the world is larger than his little wardrobe issue. If he is going to fight for his 'right' to wear that t-shirt he is going to spend his life unemployed.
Not a comparison. The military and post office have uniforms and prohibit the wearing of any symbols what so ever. Target and Wal*Mart are private businesses and, as such, are not subjected to the 1st Amendment. At a public school that does not have uniforms (which I think all of them should) and does not specifically ban any insignia, he has the right to wear anything he wants as long as it is not obscene. The government does not get to pick and choose what is acceptable speech and what is not. And you don't want them to do that, do you? For example, if a radically liberal school board- let's say in Berkeley California- bans the wearing of American flags but allows the wearing of Russian or Cuban flags, would you have a problem with that? Is it OK to suspend the student who wears an American flag? What is they say "you can wear Obama shirts but you cannot wear McCain shirts"? Because that is what you are arguing for here. There is a good reason why the government does not get to decide what speech is acceptable.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 PM

102 posts, read 350,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Who cares....Majority of TN folks are crazy anyways. Look at the GOP over there.
Where did you get this idea? People from Tennessee are very friendly, not crazy. This has been my impression of people from Tennessee, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies