Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,940,220 times

Advertisements

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Granted the guy's books are one sided and probably ultra lib, but c'mon now.

Oh well...glad I'm locked and loaded. No, not for use on TSA officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,691,067 times
Yup, the last time I flew domestically I found out I am on that "watch list" as well.

I can guarantee you in my case anyway it's strictly because of my political views.

Even local law enforcement are alerted when they run the DL of anyone on the list.

It just ensures you get maximum harrassment from any US authority you deal with.

This is the classic fascist "****-list". It's really nothing new, just that modern technology really facilitates this kind of totalitarian crookedness.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:10 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,326,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Yup, the last time I flew domestically I found out I am on that "watch list" as well.

I can guarantee you in my case anyway it's strictly because of my political views.

Even local law enforcement are alerted when they run the DL of anyone on the list.

It just ensures you get maximum harrassment from any US authority you deal with.

This is the classic fascist "****-list". It's really nothing new, just that modern technology really facilitates this kind of totalitarian crookedness.
-------------

I have heard that from people who have blogged,etc spoken out against this GVMT and given their name,info.

They seem to wind up on that list . Than those reporters that investigate it also wind up on the list.

Which makes their life horrible as they fly frequently.

This GVMT has done what terrorist's couldnt do .

Old 08-14-2008, 03:04 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,696,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post

If you don't mind my asking, do you know exactly what you said that caused you to end up on the watch list? Do you have a blog or something, or was it just things you've written on forums such as city-data? What sort of problems occur at the airport due to your name being put on the watch list? Were you born in America? Are you a member of any organizations that may be considered "radical" by our government?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm interested to know, but I absolutely, totally understand if you don't want to tell me.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,201,502 times
I get the feeling there's more normal Americans on that list than actual terrorists.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 PM

23,532 posts, read 23,863,036 times
Quote:
Get over yourself - the government doesn't give a rat's patootie about you. If your name is on the list, it's because someone who actually should be on the list either has the same name or has used it as an alias. I worked with a fellow who was "on the list", except that he wasn't. It was someone else with the same name.

The watch list doesn't differentiate between individuals - it's just a list of names. If you're unfortunate enough to have a name that also happens to be on that list, then you just have to deal with it. My former coworker does, and he doesn't complain about it...

Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM

350 posts, read 652,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Get over yourself - the government doesn't give a rat's patootie about you. If your name is on the list, it's because someone who actually should be on the list either has the same name or has used it as an alias. I worked with a fellow who was "on the list", except that he wasn't. It was someone else with the same name.

The watch list doesn't differentiate between individuals - it's just a list of names. If you're unfortunate enough to have a name that also happens to be on that list, then you just have to deal with it. My former coworker does, and he doesn't complain about it...
That is the poorest excuse I ever heard - the same they used in Florida to keep people from voting! Sorry, Mr. Jackson, but you have same name as felon John Jackson, so you will not be allowed to vote.

Either the gobment is acting maliciously - would be very interesting to know how many Bush supporters are on said list - or it is grossly incompetent - either way, not good. There should be a clear procedure in place to get off the list if it a case of...mistaken identity. For sure, via birth certificates, passports etc, it could be done.

As your Ben Franklin said, 'Those who would give up Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety'

Last edited by gortamor; 08-14-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM

23,532 posts, read 23,863,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
it is grossly incompetent
There you go. Now you're starting to understand. I wouldn't call it "gross" incompetence in this case, as they're just casting the net wide to make sure they don't miss any fish. Missing one could mean another 9/11 (or worse).

I've always said that the government isn't capable of managing large systems. They can't do it efficiently, if at all. This is one example. The postal service is another. And the granddaddy of all mismanaged government projects - social security. The really terrifying thing is that people actually want to entrust our health care to the government...

Could the "no fly" list be managed better? Of course. Everything the federal government does could be managed better. Frankly, they shouldn't even be doing the majority of things they're involved with. If they'd just stop mucking about with things that aren't their business, they might actually be able to efficiently accomplish the things they are supposed to be doing...

Old 08-14-2008, 04:44 PM

350 posts, read 652,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There you go. Now you're starting to understand. I wouldn't call it "gross" incompetence in this case, as they're just casting the net wide to make sure they don't miss any fish. Missing one could mean another 9/11 (or worse).

I've always said that the government isn't capable of managing large systems. They can't do it efficiently, if at all. This is one example. The postal service is another. And the granddaddy of all mismanaged government projects - social security. The really terrifying thing is that people actually want to entrust our health care to the government...

Could the "no fly" list be managed better? Of course. Everything the federal government does could be managed better. Frankly, they shouldn't even be doing the majority of things they're involved with. If they'd just stop mucking about with things that aren't their business, they might actually be able to efficiently accomplish the things they are supposed to be doing...
I said it may be incompetence but there could be other motives as well. I've an unusual Gaelic name, and am on same said stupid list. Why? Who knows? But cannot get off it or find out why am on it.

This, mate, seems like it should be unconstitutional.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,599,070 times
What happens at the airport? Are you allowed to fly?

I'm not on any lists that I'm aware of, but every time I fly, they go through my bags (never put things back like I had them either) and I always get called over for the extra search.

Unless something more bothersome is happening, I'm not worried about it. And I highly doubt "political views" have anything to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies