Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That, too. Simple stuff - most companies won't cut you a physical paycheck, for instance, they expect you to have a bank account for direct transfer. Banks will ask for address information and do a credit check. Car? Go get insurance. The insurance guy will want to see your driver's license. The driver's licenses are issued by the police, and they'll want to know your residence status. It's easy if you're legal, just check the boxes and move on. The machinery actually works. It's very hard if you're not. And at least in Northern Europe, there's no tradition for bribes to move things along, quite the contrary. (Try to slip a German police officer a 100-Euro bill to help your case, and chances are you'll end up in handcuffs.)

Sure, you can do black/grey market cash jobs and put your money in the mattress, but eventually, you'll want to buy that house or car or get a job with a desk.
LOL...German cops aren't smart enough to take a 100 Euro bribe.

I swear, that's gotta be the most straighlaced country in Europe. Guess it works for them, but it makes for one hell of a bureaucracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 03:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
I do not know any that do, except of-course those that want another revolution to tear this nation apart, they are traitors IMO.
Casper

Old 11-26-2010, 03:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, about the only difficulty i ever had crossing Euro borders was the Swiss border cuz they want you to buy that Autobahn pass. Austria used to inquire about having international insurance. I used to just buy it before leaving. Driving from Italy into Croatia could be a pain in the butt, but i've heard that it's gotten a bit easier.

Still though, it's a bit harder to find work in Europe without the proper papers because they frown on hiring illegal aliens and because just about every country issues indentity documents that you're supposed to carry with you.
Definitely. Working as an illegal is almost impossible. There are so many cross references and checks between tax authority, social security system, health care provider etc. And it is true, in Central and Northern Europe nobody will hire an illegal, except in red light districts

Old 11-26-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That, too. Simple stuff - most companies won't cut you a physical paycheck, for instance, they expect you to have a bank account for direct transfer. Banks will ask for address information and do a credit check. Car? Go get insurance. The insurance guy will want to see your driver's license. The driver's licenses are issued by the police, and they'll want to know your residence status. It's easy if you're legal, just check the boxes and move on. The machinery actually works. It's very hard if you're not. And at least in Northern Europe, there's no tradition for bribes to move things along, quite the contrary. (Try to slip a German police officer a 100-Euro bill to help your case, and chances are you'll end up in handcuffs.)

Sure, you can do black/grey market cash jobs and put your money in the mattress, but eventually, you'll want to buy that house or car or get a job with a desk.
Yes, checks are very rare in Europe. Living in Europe without a bank account is almost impossible since employers pay employees that way. My parents have never even had a credit card, nor has anyone of my family ever used checks. Europe is very conservative in terms of payment methods, we don't trust in checks etc. Things have to be traceable.
Cash or debit card for everyday shopping, and bank transfer or maybe credit card (usually associated with the same bank account) for everything else.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:45 PM

565 posts, read 485,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Definitely. Working as an illegal is almost impossible. There are so many cross references and checks between tax authority, social security system, health care provider etc. And it is true, in Central and Northern Europe nobody will hire an illegal, except in red light districts
I am afraid that is not the reality.
In Europe between four and eight million people in illegal situations work for different sectors of the economy such as construction, agriculture, hotels, garment sweatshops and so on.

Last edited by henrjam; 11-26-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, checks are very rare in Europe. Living in Europe without a bank account is almost impossible since employers pay employees that way. My parents have never even had a credit card, nor has anyone of my family ever used checks. Europe is very conservative in terms of payment methods, we don't trust in checks etc. Things have to be traceable.
Cash or debit card for everyday shopping, and bank transfer or maybe credit card (usually associated with the same bank account) for everything else.
But for France, where people still use checks to pay for almost everything that cost more than a few Euros.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
I am afraid that is not the reality.
In Europe between four and eight million people in illegal situations work for different sectors of the economy such as construction, agriculture, hotels, garment sweatshops and so on.
Probably not exactly the kinds of jobs American expats would like to do There are some illegal farmhands here too, but they are exploited and treated more like slaves. Compared to that illegal maids from Mexico working in California have a pretty good life.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
But for France, where people still use checks to pay for almost everything that cost more than a few Euros.
Hm, I don't know France, never been there, but in the Germanic half of Europe checks are seldom used. And I doubt checks are used for paying employees in France.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Hm, I don't know France, never been there, but in the Germanic half of Europe checks are seldom used. And I doubt checks are used for paying employees in France.
I believe it is usually done so. France is the exception in Europe, for this and also so many other things.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Probably not exactly the kinds of jobs American expats would like to do There are some illegal farmhands here too, but they are exploited and treated more like slaves. Compared to that illegal maids from Mexico working in California have a pretty good life.
Ordinarily the illegal don't get the best jobs in any country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies