Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times

Advertisements

Try living abroad... you will really appreciate America... except the health system lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Has anyone else noticed how many people declare their hatred for America but yet continue to live here? And, you know, I would not care if they hated America and were willing to do something to offer change, but they just complain and try to sell us on the attributes of other, more "socially evolved" countries.

This is really no different than marriages that go bad...if it is that bad, LEAVE and start over where the grass is greener.

Just wondering if others noticed this trend.
Simple answer - because you are ALLOWED to - it's America.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Try living abroad... you will really appreciate America... except the health system lol
You are likely to come to really appreciate abroad as well. There are lots of people in lots of places who do lots of things differently but as well or better than we do. The truth is out there...

Old 08-16-2008, 12:26 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
My profession is to analyze other people's work and upgrade it. Not destroy it, not throw it away, but upgrade or enhance it. Because I have to "change" things on occasion, I am often accused of not understanding or hating. My job is to take what is already good and make it the best it can be under current situations. I think sometimes that defensiveness translates a need for improvement into an assumption of hate.
Don't forget people are generally resistant to change. They're frightened and feel threatened by it, especially those who are part of the status quo, or who benefit from the status quo.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Many people who live outside America or other countries hate America because they are jealous of what America has achieved, it's great lifestyle and democracy.
Hardly. It's not what America has achieved, it's how America has achieved it.

If you get a chance to do it over, see if you can do it without murdering heads of state to get access to resources and prevent US corporations from paying taxes, and without interfering in the sovereign political processes of other countries.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
people that disagree with america don't necessarily hate america.. people speak up out of love and concern...
the question is ridiculous.. if someone really hated america.. they wouldn't live here....hate is a strong word....

Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 AM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Smile Surgical Hatred Doesn't Justify Displacement!

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed how many people declare their hatred for America but yet continue to live here? And, you know, I would not care if they hated America and were willing to do something to offer change, but they just complain and try to sell us on the attributes of other, more "socially evolved" countries.

This is really no different than marriages that go bad...if it is that bad, LEAVE and start over where the grass is greener.

By the poll that was recently conducted it appears that your "many" people remark is actually only a small percentage that actually state they HATE America.

Now, if you are complaining about others that complain--exactly how are you a bit better? Are you not belly-aching about the right of other Americans to redress the political status-quo?

I'm not sure you have noticed but many complainers seem to have valid complaints--they extend through many walks of American life and include the intellectuals that man the think tanks to the average man in the street. A core issue among all seems to be that in the last decade or two America is not the America we knew and loved but something else--and headed in a dubious direction.

It is smart-rumped for sure to assert that Americans ought to leave due to verbal disgruntlement. Indeed, I can't imagine what would occur if acknowledgement and complaints were not part of Americana. IMO, those that oppose the complainers should leave and reside in a country where a show of anger, hatred or political dissent gets you immediatly if not permanently checked.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:13 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
By the poll that was recently conducted it appears that your "many" people remark is actually only a small percentage that actually state they HATE America.

Now, if you are complaining about others that complain--exactly how are you a bit better? Are you not belly-aching about the right of other Americans to redress the political status-quo?

I'm not sure you have noticed but many complainers seem to have valid complaints--they extend through many walks of American life and include the intellectuals that man the think tanks to the average man in the street. A core issue among all seems to be that in the last decade or two America is not the America we knew and loved but something else--and headed in a dubious direction.

It is smart-rumped for sure to assert that Americans ought to leave due to verbal disgruntlement. Indeed, I can't imagine what would occur if acknowledgement and complaints were not part of Americana. IMO, those that oppose the complainers should leave and reside in a country where a show of anger, hatred or political dissent gets you immediatly if not permanently checked.
I believe I may have been misunderstood in my post.

First and foremost, I believe that we are all fortunate enough to live in a country where we are free to have the right to free speech and I exercise that right all the time.

My concern, as I have stated before are the people, not necessarily on this forum, who state they have a deep hatred of the country and all it stands for. These are their word choices, not mine.

I tend to look at it as a bad relationship that is irreparable. If the deterioration of feelings has gotten so bad that it can not be fixed, do something about it. No different than a bad job, neighborhood, relationship.

Obviously some took this question rather personally and did not take it in the spirit in which it was meant. I was not pointing fingers, just asking a question.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:43 PM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Smile Better Ticked Too Late Than Not At All

Quote:
I believe I may have been misunderstood in my post.

First and foremost, I believe that we are all fortunate enough to live in a country where we are free to have the right to free speech and I exercise that right all the time.

My concern, as I have stated before are the people, not necessarily on this forum, who state they have a deep hatred of the country and all it stands for. These are their word choices, not mine.

I tend to look at it as a bad relationship that is irreparable. If the deterioration of feelings has gotten so bad that it can not be fixed, do something about it. No different than a bad job, neighborhood, relationship.

Obviously some took this question rather personally and did not take it in the spirit in which it was meant. I was not pointing fingers, just asking a question.
I don't think you are misunderstood at all.

Whether you think an opinion is a bad relationship that is irrepairable is not a reason to declare those that hate live elsewhere. They can live where they damn well choose and will.

There are Americans that are loyal to their country--are native born--and have served their country in time of need that have and will state that they despise what our country has become as opposed to what it once was, and further despise those that gave the depravers the opportunity to do so. The disloyals are the ones that have stamped and mutilated our country, sold us out to foreign interests for personal gain and allowed the corporate and wealthy UNREGULATED playgrounds. All the while seeing our middle-class go to the rear of the line in preference to detrimental interests.

Hate--maybe close. Rather, I choose despise, of those responsible, and it comes very easily. Also, one who has and will continue to join with others to make positive and non-violent changes and work very hard to return our country to those that made this country--our great middle-class.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:

Yes, I have noticed. Many liberals are whores to their own monetary desires, even to the point of living in a country they think is evil, just to make a buck.
Here is a perfect example from the from the Director of Hellboy and other movies, Guillermo del Toro complaining about some silly opposition to the title of his movie. Notice the last sentence:
“American theaters in the South rejected the first movie, refused to play it, because the word ‘hell’ was in the title,” he says. “Other theatres in the South changed the title on the marquee from Hellboy to Hello Boy, and Heck Boy.”
He thought when he was pitching Hellboy II: The Golden Army that people would be less sensitive, but not so. “We actually went back to discussing, ‘Can it not be called Hellboy?’ Again!” he exclaims, aghast.
“I find it really puzzling that we are not prudish about the deforestation of the Earth, bombing other countries, killing children, raping entire continents, but we are prudish about one word.”

So America rapes other continents and kills children and yet this Hollywood dipwad stays here anyway and makes sure he gets filthy rich off that child killing continent raping country. What a hypocrite.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies