Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times

Advertisements

It appears that the Arctic has been gaining a lot of ice over last year and record ice in Antartica.. so much for global warming...

Arctic ice refuses to melt as ordered | The Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
global warming extremists are funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It appears that the Arctic has been gaining a lot of ice over last year and record ice in Antartica.. so much for global warming...

Arctic ice refuses to melt as ordered | The Register

Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Next year we’ll hear the same crap about the ice melting, in 10 years we’ll hear more of the same junk science. The media will hype it up, telling us we’re all going to die. Except, the problem is, nothing ever changes (except the size of Al Gore’s bank account, that is growing much faster the the CO2 content of our atmosphere).

Arctic Ice Grows, Refuses To Conform With Liberal Meme » Right Pundits

Old 08-15-2008, 06:05 PM

I do have to say that I fell for it hook, line, and sinker when I was young... I thought it "must" be true because politicians, scientists, and the media were all saying that it was true... there was a big push by the educational system and government to push this idea into my head... it then morphed into an "in" thing to believe in and I never questioned it... Then I finish undergraduate... and I kept hearing about it getting worse, so I decided I should be more proactive in convincing others to do the same... to do this, I had verse myself in the global warming "science" and after reading their logic... I was like... wth? This is all bunk! So I kept reading more and more because I thought there must be something I am missing... there wasn't... the science just didn't add up....

Old 08-15-2008, 11:49 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Next year we’ll hear the same crap about the ice melting, in 10 years we’ll hear more of the same junk science. The media will hype it up, telling us we’re all going to die. Except, the problem is, nothing ever changes (except the size of Al Gore’s bank account, that is growing much faster the the CO2 content of our atmosphere).

Arctic Ice Grows, Refuses To Conform With Liberal Meme » Right Pundits
I disagree. Next year we'll hear about how the coming ice-age can only be avoided by avoiding red meat altogether and not having any kids.

Actually, I think this report is complete BS. It looks like I'm going to have to start wearing the tin-foil hat again to keep Limbaugh and Exxon from poisoning my brain.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
The National Snow and Ice Data Center which is quoted in the article that the OP posted a link to is now saying, "It's now a neck-and-neck race between 2007 and this year over the issue of ice loss".

"We thought Arctic ice cover might recover after last year's unprecedented melting -- and indeed the picture didn't look too bad last month."

"But recent storms in the Beaufort region "triggered steep ice losses," he said, "and it now looks as if it will be a very close call indeed whether 2007 or 2008 is the worst year on record for ice cover over the Arctic."

Calgary Herald: 'Unprecedented' melt sinks hope for Arctic ice recovery

Old 08-16-2008, 04:21 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Did NASA report this or is he just inferring it from his interpretation of the graph? Like what if the ice was more spread out but thinner?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
Quote:
A chunk of Antarctic ice about seven times the size of Manhattan suddenly collapsed, putting an even greater portion of glacial ice at risk, scientists said Tuesday.
Discovery News : Discovery Channel

Quote:
A giant chunk of ice that is 3,000 years old has broken away in what scientists say is proof of climate change.
3,000-year-old shelf ice breaks away | Metro.co.uk

Quote:
Satellite images show a massive chunk of ice measuring 295 kilometres in length and 37 kilometres wide. It covers an area of about 11,000 square kilometres, roughly twice the size of Canada's smallest province. Scientists say it's among the largest ever observed
Massive iceberg breaks away from Antarctica ice shelf

But hey nothing is really happening right

Old 08-16-2008, 07:25 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times
You weirdo's are annoying with this bit. The earth naturally warms and cools. In a couple thousand years, whether we are here or not, the earth will probably be in the middle of an ice age. It's nature, get used to it.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 AM

The pictures showing the gain of ice everywhere really is "neck and neck"... B.S., no matter how the authors try to slant it, it is NOT "neck and neck"... as to the chunks of ice separating from the shelf... lets see... 3000 year old ice breaks way which meant that possibly a 10000 year old ice broke 3000 years ago... I guess we had global warming 3000 years ago? Maybe even 10000 years ago? Yeah, smells like B.S. for global warming.... if you think every ice "never" breaks away... well, then we would probably have billion year old ice everywhere instead of 3000 year old ice, wouldn't we? Except we don't.... ha! Using normal rhythms of the earth to explain bunk science for global warming isn't helping your misguided beliefs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies