Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:36 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,573,950 times

Advertisements

FoxNews.com
Quote:
HIGHLAND, Calif. — Authorities say a 16-year-old girl who died after losing control of her car had been texting on her cell phone moments before the accident.
Kayla Preuss, of Highland, was driving on the Interstate 10 Freeway in Redlands when she lost control of her car and crashed. She died of head injuries.
Authorities say Preuss had been driving drunk and was speeding. But another factor may have contributed to the crash.
Phone records show Preuss was texting just before the accident. Her cell phone, which was flipped open, was found resting on the floorboard by her feet.
Preuss' mother Kelly said she hopes the accident will make other people think before texting and driving.
I get sick to my stomach when I see these kind of stories. The lives of young persons being snuffed out by thoughtless acts of invincibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,663,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
FoxNews.com

I get sick to my stomach when I see these kind of stories. The lives of young persons being snuffed out by thoughtless acts of invincibility.
Sounds to me like Darwin at work. At least the stupid idiot didn't run over somebody else.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:19 PM

15,785 posts, read 21,294,157 times
It's unbelievable how many people my age and younger text while in the car. I have one friend who does it quite often with me in the car. Or at least, he did until I refused to set foot in his car. It's reckless and dangerous. Hell- I don't even understand talking on the phone in the car. Even my mom, who has been driving for 35 years and is an excellent driver with a spotless record, is terrifying when she drives while talking on the phone.

As a pedestrian as well, it sometimes seems like I'm putting my life in the hands of idiots! I've been nearly hit by so many reckless drivers on phones or obviously texting/fiddling with the radio/otherwise distracted.

It's tragic that this girl died due to this, but I'm thankful that she only killed herself rather than hurting another passenger, another car, or a pedestrian.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,663,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's unbelievable how many people my age and younger text while in the car. I have one friend who does it quite often with me in the car. Or at least, he did until I refused to set foot in his car. It's reckless and dangerous. Hell- I don't even understand talking on the phone in the car. Even my mom, who has been driving for 35 years and is an excellent driver with a spotless record, is terrifying when she drives while talking on the phone.

As a pedestrian as well, it sometimes seems like I'm putting my life in the hands of idiots! I've been nearly hit by so many reckless drivers on phones or obviously texting/fiddling with the radio/otherwise distracted.

It's tragic that this girl died due to this, but I'm thankful that she only killed herself rather than hurting another passenger, another car, or a pedestrian.
I am of the opinion myself that this country needs to raise the unsupervised driving age to 18. Kids are just not mature enough to drive. They are too damn silly and stupid. At the very least, if they cause a wreck not only should they go to jail but their parents should too.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,126,235 times
I can watch Television on my cell phone while driving - I don't, but, I could.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,126,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am of the opinion myself that this country needs to raise the unsupervised driving age to 18. Kids are just not mature enough to drive. They are too damn silly and stupid. At the very least, if they cause a wreck not only should they go to jail but their parents should too.
Its not only kids causing these problems - adults are infamous for doing it too -

Near Las Vegas a couple of years ago - a woman was speeding down a road - and talking on her cell. She ran a red light - broadsided a car killing the 3 passengers in that car.

This woman - who btw, had a 4 year old in a car seat in her car - got out of her car - and instead of dialing 911 - she called her lawyer -

Business people texting on their Blackberry's are just as bad as the kids

Old 08-17-2008, 07:52 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,396,999 times
Quote:
HIGHLAND, Calif. — Authorities say a 16-year-old girl who died after losing control of her car had been texting on her cell phone moments before the accident.
Kayla Preuss, of Highland, was driving on the Interstate 10 Freeway in Redlands when she lost control of her car and crashed. She died of head injuries.
Authorities say Preuss had been driving drunk and was speeding. But another factor may have contributed to the crash.
Phone records show Preuss was texting just before the accident. Her cell phone, which was flipped open, was found resting on the floorboard by her feet.
Preuss' mother Kelly said she hopes the accident will make other people think before texting and driving.
I think the drunk part did her daughter in more than the texting part...

Old 08-17-2008, 08:04 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,597,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I find that you may have to raise that age to maybe 60. It isn't just kids on those cell phones. At a stop light last week I counted how many people actually using their cell phones while turning thru the intersection.
I counted 9 out of about 14 people. I refuse to get one. If people need to get ahold of me the message will still be on my machine when I get home!!
What did people do before cell phones? They may be great for road side assistance BUT NOT WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING! The next accident may involve your child or spouse,is it worth it????

Old 08-17-2008, 08:29 PM

564 posts, read 889,860 times
Yes it is sad indeed. I've personally avoided at least 5 accidents with someone using a cell phone. The biggest thing I see is people are not paying attention, slow reaction time, and changing lanes without looking. To defensive drive around here you need all of your senses, there is always a nut doing something that is endangering their life and all the lives around them, if your not in the game, then you too become a threat to everyone else around you. Now I have 2 nuts to deal with. See where I'm going?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,903,529 times
First, as someone pointed out. She was drinking and driving. Thats the first problem and should be the main problem people are focusing on.

As for the devices, yes they can distract the idiots, but then taking away a device from an idiot doesn't change the fact that they are still an idiot. The problem is the driver, not the device. Many people out there are intelligent and attentive drivers who use phones and other various devices from time as needed while they drive.

If we are to claim being on a phone is a great danger for a normal person while driving the speed laws, then we have to look at emergency drivers who use their radios in high speed situations as certain death. The fact is, it isn't a problem with the device, but the lack of responsibility of the person. If you think they have special magical training, then think again. It is simply called "pay attention". The same thing you learn in driving school is the same thing they apply in high speed situations concerning being alert and defensive driving.

I am really getting tired of someone doing something stupid and everyone jumping up to claim that somehow this wouldn't be a problem if we banned this device or outlawed this action while driving. When do we get to ban stupid people? I can promise you that banning stupid people would be a heck of a lot more effective than banning something that a stupid person does irresponsibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies