Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM

350 posts, read 653,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I doubt it. Americans overwhelmingly oppose illegal immigration, yet the ACLU wont hesitate to sue the pants off any American who so much as sneers at an illegal. So much for helping AMERICANS...
To make sure I understand correctly. You think what was done to these prisoners at Abu Ghraib was all right because they were not citizens, merely foreigners and therefore with no human rights?

Are you aware that many were scooped up with no proof they were connected with terrorism? Are you aware that torture is against the Geneva Conventions (yes, yes, Bush makes up some new catagory of prisoner that technically isn't covered)? Are you aware that torture seldom works? That a person, unless they are highly trained, will say anything to get the pain to stop? I know, I am from Northern Ireland and lived there through the Troubles.

And do you not think that such behaviour besmirches the name of the nation that has so long stood as a beacon of freedom and hope to the world?

Last edited by gortamor; 08-18-2008 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing causality...
Then you admit that your post was purely and simply gratuitous.

Quote:
I do think, however, that it is possible to infer a certain level of hypocrisy and lack of disinteresteness on the part of an organization that both ennables pedophiles and includes at least one among its administration...
Hypocrisy? Disinterest? Have you any evidence to present which would indicate that the ACLU of Virginia was aware of Mr. Rust-Tierney's internet hobby prior to the case being brought against him? If not, you are then being merely slanderous?

N.B.: The word "enables" has been both misspelled and misused.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:42 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I support the ACLU & their hard work in keeping America free. Defending the right of speech isn't the same thing as an adult having sex with a minor. The ACLU don't advocate illegal activities but the right to express opinions. That's why even the KKK, as delusianne pointed out, have the right to express their opinion [also Rev Phelps, etc].

In a free society we must deal with opposing views. The ACLU represents those who want that constitutional right.
Let's see. They'll fight FOR NAMBLA, the KKK, prisoners and pedophiles, but they'll fight AGAINST a moment of silence in school, the pledge, a Santa Clause decoration in a courthouse/school/public, and cops who have to shoot armed criminals.

Yeah, they are looking after my best interests.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone is arguing causality -- you have introduced that concept independently. I do think, however, that it is possible to infer a certain level of hypocrisy and lack of disinteresteness on the part of an organization that both ennables pedophiles and includes at least one among its administration...
Well, mate, why was it posted if this was not the implication? Surely those members of the ACLU who defend the KKK are not closet hood-wearers...

Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
To make sure I understand correctly. You think what was done to these prisoners at Abu Grahab was all right because they were not citizens, merely foreigners and therefore with no human rights?
Uh...no

The organization is question is called the AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION...not the world human rights club. The ACLU had no right to stick their nose in this..they only did it to humilate the US.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Then you admit that your post was purely and simply gratuitous.
Freely offered but apparently without value, seeing how it seems to have provoked such interest. I do not as of yet charge anyone to read my posts...

Quote:
Hypocrisy? Disinterest? Have you any evidence to present which would indicate that the ACLU of Virginia was aware of Mr. Rust-Tierney's internet hobby prior to the case being brought against him? If not, you are then being merely slanderous?
Not being familiar with the habits or hangouts of the Virginia ACLU, I would welcome their expressions of public disassociation from this hyphenated criminal. Are you aware of any? Please post a link.

p.s. Slander the ACLU? Don't make me laugh, please. Not on a Monday like this.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Well, mate, why was it posted if this was not the implication? Surely those members of the ACLU who defend the KKK are not closet hood-wearers...
Shrug. One man's "implication" is another man's billibong.

Besides -- who's to say that no ACLU members are closet kleagles?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Let's see. They'll fight FOR NAMBLA, the KKK, prisoners and pedophiles...
Do you see exceptions in the Free Speech clause that are meant to apply to these groups?

Quote:
...but they'll fight AGAINST a moment of silence in school, the pledge, a Santa Clause decoration in a courthouse/school/public...
The state may not use its agency to promote the interests of any particular religion, or of religion over non-religion. Religion in this country is an entirely individual matter. The state is to play no role. How much simpler could this be?

Quote:
...and cops who have to shoot armed criminals.
Want to cite a case?

Quote:
Yeah, they are looking after my best interests.
You seem to feel that your best interests will be served by trashing the Constitution of the United States. It is indeed safe to assume that the ACLU will not serve such interests at all...

Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Uh...no

The organization is question is called the AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION...not the world human rights club. The ACLU had no right to stick their nose in this..they only did it to humilate the US.
They work closely with Amnesty International, which is international in scope. So, yes, they do have that right.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Shrug. One man's "implication" is another man's billibong.

Besides -- who's to say that no ACLU members are closet kleagles?
If they are or are not, that is not relevant. The relevant thing is that they protect our rights which are enumerated in the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies