Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,913 times

Advertisements

Don't Liberals find anything indecent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Probably for the same reason they defend the KKK.

Actually, the NAMBLA question is in their FAQ. Think of the hate mail that led to them having to include it!

Why did the ACLU defend NAMBLA?
In representing NAMBLA, the ACLU does not advocate sexual relationships between adults and children. What we do advocate is robust freedom of speech. This lawsuit strikes at the heart of freedom of speech. The defense of freedom of speech is most critical when the message is one most people find repulsive. For more information, please read the ACLU's press release.

American Civil Liberties Union : ACLU Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.aclu.org/info/18852res20040107.html#3_4 - broken link)

This might fit better in the main Politics section - ?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:31 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I agree.

I only posted it in response to Hasdrubal's post -- "Why do conservatives see nudity as something evil?"

Hasdrubal's post belongs somewhere else too.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Probably for the same reason they defend the KKK.

Actually, the NAMBLA question is in their FAQ. Think of the hate mail that led to them having to include it!

Why did the ACLU defend NAMBLA?
In representing NAMBLA, the ACLU does not advocate sexual relationships between adults and children. What we do advocate is robust freedom of speech. This lawsuit strikes at the heart of freedom of speech. The defense of freedom of speech is most critical when the message is one most people find repulsive. For more information, please read the ACLU's press release.

American Civil Liberties Union : ACLU Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.aclu.org/info/18852res20040107.html#3_4 - broken link)

Funny how they believe in the robust right to talk about sex with boys, but when it comes to my constitutional right to have a firearm to protect my boy from their perverts they are suddenly nowhere to be found....

Old 08-17-2008, 09:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
As a former ACLU contributor who's now become totally 'fed up', it's my opinion that 85% of what the ACLU does, they do because it's a way to "Annoy the Grownups"...That's right...in just about every case I hear of, the ACLU takes the position that would be taken by a rebellious 12-year old....and rebellious 12-year olds get great pleasure in annoying "stuffy" grownups.

What can be more 'annoying' than a group advocating, apparently with a 'straight face', their right as grown men to engage in sex with underage boys? That's easy....a group of high-powered attorneys, ALSO with a 'straight face', who go to great lengths to defend this behavior as someone's inalienable "right".

The ACLU gets great satisfaction in defending the outrageous, the disgusting, and the unacceptable, against the 'straight' majority. That's why they take these cases,,,because it's FUN to make us 'squirm'.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Funny how they believe in the robust right to talk about sex with boys, but when it comes to my constitutional right to have a firearm to protect my boy from their perverts they are suddenly nowhere to be found....
Thats because they don't serve the protection of peoples rights, but rather that they serve whats best in their political interests. Every time I hear someone telling me that they are doing something for my own good, I usually start looking for the ammo. The second amendment exists for the individual to protect themselves from groups that claim they are there for your protection.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,144 times
I always assumed it was because they had closet pediphiles in high positions in their organization

Old 08-17-2008, 09:58 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
Smile Good going ACLU

I support the ACLU & their hard work in keeping America free. Defending the right of speech isn't the same thing as an adult having sex with a minor. The ACLU don't advocate illegal activities but the right to express opinions. That's why even the KKK, as delusianne pointed out, have the right to express their opinion [also Rev Phelps, etc].

In a free society we must deal with opposing views. The ACLU represents those who want that constitutional right.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I support the ACLU & their hard work in keeping America free. Defending the right of speech isn't the same thing as an adult having sex with a minor. The ACLU don't advocate illegal activities but the right to express opinions. That's why even the KKK, as delusianne pointed out, have the right to express their opinion [also Rev Phelps, etc].

In a free society we must deal with opposing views. The ACLU represents those who want that constitutional right.
Yes, of course....."express opinions". I must remember that.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, of course....."express opinions". I must remember that.
Good, glad I could help you understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies