Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
You think so? I don't know, I liked her sitcom more than anything else. (I didn't see the very last season, though...the one that gets a lot of criticism). Great actors all around. I've seen Here and Now and liked it at first, but didn't find it funny anymore after one viewing. It was better than The Beginning, though, IMO.
I do prefer her standup. I'm not a big fan of the sitcom. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose (which ties back to the larger themes of this thread, right? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:41 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose (which ties back to the larger themes of this thread, right? )

Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
BTW I consider myself Republican and I definitely don't go out of my way to stop gay marriage. Because of my religious beliefs I am stuck in a position that would probably want me to vote against it...but as a human...I really feel it's an awful thing to fight against. I may not view it as a marriage...more like a union (by definition) but I feel that two people loving each other shouldn't be such a bitter issue. I mean, for goodness sake, they allow abortion, the death penalty..etc..without blinking an eye...what do I care if two people get married?
I think you have a good attitude, and I hope that if it ever came to it, your good sense would help you make the right decision on a vote....

At least you don't let the religious view point totally blind you to the facts. Thumbs up from us! http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smilie_daumenpos.gif (broken link)

Congrats to Ellen and Portia!!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,437 times
I'm not blind to the facts...thanks . I think society is just too judgemental and hypocritical..and it personally disgusts me that they think they have the right to judge to people who are in love. I could say if they were harming someone...but they are LOVING each other. JESUS!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM

500 posts, read 910,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
OK...what in the WORLD does anti-woman have to do with any of this????
BTW I consider myself Republican and I definitely don't go out of my way to stop gay marriage. Because of my religious beliefs I am stuck in a position that would probably want me to vote against it...but as a human...I really feel it's an awful thing to fight against. I may not view it as a marriage...more like a union (by definition) but I feel that two people loving each other shouldn't be such a bitter issue. I mean, for goodness sake, they allow abortion, the death penalty..etc..without blinking an eye...what do I care if two people get married?
[mod cut] If you live a good religious life, when you die you go see that invisible person in the sky and he'll be pissed because you accepted gay marriage? Why worship someone like that.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-18-2008 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: no personal insults please!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
i dont know if some posters are tryin to be funny or just offensive, but i think it will be hard to respect what posters like bbk and tin have to say. i never took j or yele seriously, but its a disapointment that some people who normally have pretty "together" posts, could only offer juvenile quips.

again, im happy for ellen and portia. after the negativity put on here by some people, i feel i gotta balance that out.

may they be blessed for years to come. i seen a picture of them in the news and they looked pretty. pretty in pink. and very happy!

LET CALIFORNIA RING!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
...but its a disapointment that some people who normally have pretty "together" posts, could only offer juvenile quips.
Tell me about it. So many people saying things just for shock value or refusing to think anything through in quite a few threads lately...it's getting to the point at which I have so many people on my ignore list that threads start looking disjointed and nonsensical. Granted, there are some who rarely say anything that contributes to a discussion, and maybe some people view me that way, but at least I don't start practically screeching, "All conservatives are mentally ill and handicapped religious fundamentalists and a waste of space!1!11"

Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
You'd be surprised at how many Republican women can be just as bigoted as their homophobic Republican husbands.
At the same time, don't assume every Democrat is for same-sex marriage.

I love Portia. She is absolutely gorgeous. Ellen has her good days but Portia....she's got it.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:29 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Stop the personal insults please and discuss the topic of this thread

Ellen DeGeneres marries girlfriend.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-18-2008, 02:32 PM

350 posts, read 653,662 times
Back to topic. Who cares what Ellen D. does or doesn't do? This is not hard news, but entertainment news. Fluff as we used to call it.

Let gays marry, I could care less, although churches cannot be forced to perform such ceremonies. If two people fall and love and want to make that committment to each other, let them. Soon enough, the poor souls will want a divorce...

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-18-2008 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies