Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times

Advertisements

[quote=prim2007;4900270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

You missed the point all together so maybe you should read the whole thread and post later. By the way, more than 1/2 a million chidren are in the foster case system, how many have you stepped up to adopt/support? Everyone talks like all children can easily be adopted so why are there thousands waiting? Why are most of the jail systems filled with adults who were abandoned and abused children.
I am an adoptive mother, my son is not white and was a premie dx with probably cp. Do I pass muster? It doesn't matter though, as I am wholeheartedly against anyone adopting (or having kids biologically for that matter) only to make a political point. That, imho is disgusting.
Regardless, foster care is not adoption --- you are getting two very different things confused. Children in foster care are not eligible for adoption --- not right away, not for many many years and in most cases not ever. The foster care system in the US is f'd up, and social workers who are more dedicated to social engineering then the children they should be protecting are at fault here, not the prolife movement.

Yeah, you can say there is a waiting list for couples but that's because they want perfect looking kids (in many cases white) with no health or potential emotional issues.
See above.

I tell you what, let's make sure men who leave the women and refuse to step up finacially and be a part of the child's life, be subject to a minimum 10 years in prison or maybe they get the death penalty as well for contributing to the "murder" of a child. Afterall, many of these abortions would not occur if there was a solid support system in place which usually involves the male owning up to his responsibility.
On this you and I agree
More realistically, I think that women should have the right to place children for adoption without the biofathers agreement or interference. I also wish there was a way to eradicate the stigma that women who place children for adoption face.

As to the issue of rape.........I personally have no problem with the morning after pill particularily when given to rape victims. I do however a problem with any woman for any reason having a late term abortion. I don't believe that I am alone in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
[quote=camping!;4900645]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post

On this you and I agree
More realistically, I think that women should have the right to place children for adoption without the biofathers agreement or interference. I also wish there was a way to eradicate the stigma that women who place children for adoption face.

As to the issue of rape.........I personally have no problem with the morning after pill particularily when given to rape victims. I do however a problem with any woman for any reason having a late term abortion. I don't believe that I am alone in that.
I have never had a problem prohibiting late term abortion since women still have the right to choose just that they must choose early. However, I am strongly opposed at forcing a mother to deliver a child in the case of rape, incest, or health of the mother or when it's clear the child will not survive. The problem with pro life radicals is that there is no tolerance of anything. If you really want to go back to biblical times as many wish to do, these women having sex outside of marriage would be immediately stoned to death and the men too, so what happened to their babies? Anyway, pro life advocates should focus on preventive education, instilling self esteem, and help create a culture where men are ashamed when they walk away not made to feel "normal". This is what will reduce abortions; otherwise, you're not going to see much change except the horror stories already mentioned in the posts above.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:58 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
But we are discussing the small number of abortions that are performed due to rape. OP wanted the pro-life take on whether or not there should be an exception due to rape, and it seems many people think there should not be.
BUT - the Pro Life movement DOES MAKE EXCEPTIONS for Rape or Incest or the life of the Mother.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post

I have never had a problem prohibiting late term abortion since women still have the right to choose just that they must choose early. However, I am strongly opposed at forcing a mother to deliver a child in the case of rape, incest, or health of the mother or when it's clear the child will not survive. The problem with pro life radicals is that there is no tolerance of anything. If you really want to go back to biblical times as many wish to do, these women having sex outside of marriage would be immediately stoned to death and the men too, so what happened to their babies? Anyway, pro life advocates should focus on preventive education, instilling self esteem, and help create a culture where men are ashamed when they walk away not made to feel "normal". This is what will reduce abortions; otherwise, you're not going to see much change except the horror stories already mentioned in the posts above.
I agree with you. Late term abortion or partial birth abortion is hideous and uncivilized and should be outlawed. If a woman carries a child to that point and then decides that she doesn't want it, from that point, adoption should be the only resource, not the killing of a fully formed baby. As we all know, medical advances have made it possible to save pre-term fetuses as young as six months in utero.

That said, perhaps if women who found themselves unexpectedly pregnant (birth control fails folks, my two youngest children are proof of that) would be more likely to consider other options if, as you say, men weren't given the societal wink and pat on the back when they walk away from women that they've impregnated. Until the repercussions of abandoning that woman to her own devices outweigh the so-called benefits, a reduction in abortions is not likely.

Until that day comes, which I highly doubt it will, the number of frightened women who face the daunting prospect of pregnancy and motherhood with no support whatsoever will not decrease and no one, but the women themselves, should have the right to determine whether or not they will go through with something as life altering as pregnancy and they should have the right to terminate that pregnancy early.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
BUT - the Pro Life movement DOES MAKE EXCEPTIONS for Rape or Incest or the life of the Mother.
As evidenced by this thread, there are plenty of people who think there should not be exceptions made for rape. From what I'm reading, the largest pro-life groups do not support exceptions in the case of rape or incest (see below).

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/facts/r...argument5.html
http://www.prolifeaction.org/faq/stand.htm#rape

Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
[quote=prim2007;4900780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

I do see where you are getting at, however I don't believe it is either fair or accurate to paint prolife people as religious zealots and/or bombers (or they're cheerleaders) as you mentioned in an earlier post.
I think you are fighting a very small minority of pro life people, after all wouldn't it be fair to say that there are pro choice radicals? Those that believe abortion should be legal throughout a pregnancy up to and including the first few months after birth?
Radicals on both sides of this issue are luckily the very few.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I'm only in favor of abortion in cases of rape, or like when you take birth control and you still get pregnant or when you have a healt issue which can be dangerous to be pregnant, etc...

That doesn't make me in favor of Obama!!!!

I wish there was more done to prevent pregnancies. In the Netherlands girls can get the birth control pills without their parents consent and I'm all in favor of it, rather than the girl coming home and being pregnant. Just before any one will judge me....I do have kids and i have also 1 girl who is 18 right now and I would never have mind if she would have gotten it without telling us, but we have a very good relation ship and we discuss many things, and this is one of the issues we discussed.
Why are there so much less teen pregnancies in Europe as over here.....? If you provide the birth control or morning after pill which is for the next day....so very early after concieving....the amount of teen pregnancies will go down, isn't that better than having an abortion.....and even talk about it.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:13 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Let's be clear - most (not all) pro life advocates have even made the "exception" for rape or incest.

As another mentioned - the number of abortions due to rape or incest is relatively small compared to the number who choose abortion as a matter of "convenience".
Link?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll ask you:

Why is it the baby's fault that he/she is the product of the violent, heinous act of rape?

How does killing the baby make the rape any less horrific and take away the pain?

Please answer these questions only. No one has been able to do this, they've either ignored it entirely or resorted to name calling. Every successful abortion results in death. Murder is murder.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Nobody has ever been able to answer my question either

How do you propose to end abortions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies