Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
In response to rich urban liberal theory. -I think, Liberalism probably becomes someone's mindset when they enter a city.(more accepting) I mean, it's hard to stick to conservative values when you see all these different ethinicities and income levels, and less family-values.

When a conservative is in the middle of Kentucky and see's a homeless person-it's not going to be something taken lightly. It's going to be-"Get this man off of my street now!"
conservatives dont move to cities and become liberal, they stay out of the cities because there full of liberals!

Old 02-17-2007, 01:26 AM

40 posts, read 147,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I hate talk radio, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Conservatives, who listen to the radio more than other other group of people, listen to the radio primarily because it is FREE. They can't afford more than FREE even though they think they are rich and are getting the same tax breaks Bill Gates is. Therefore, rant radio works great in areas where the people need FREE entertainment because they aren't making enough to pay for entertainment.

In the areas where people make a little more money (blue states) they can afford to pay for what they want to listen to -- which isn't rant radio.

I've never listened to Air America, but unless it plays to the crowd that wants FREE entertainment, it's never going to work.

SOUNDS LIKE WE HAVE SOME ENVY GOING ON HERE

Old 02-17-2007, 01:29 AM

40 posts, read 147,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I'd love to see stats on this.

Rich.
Affluent.
Upper middle class.
Middle class
Working class
Plum poor.

The cities draw from all over the country, and those folks are trying to get away from "red" states mentality go to the "blue" states so they can think progressively--rich or poor!
YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NOT BEEN DOING YOUR HOMEWORK, ALL OF THE BIG LIB. CITIES ARE LOSING POPULATION RAPIDLY DUE TO FAILED PROGESSIVE POLICIES.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:49 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
There are tremendous logical fallacies at work here. Cities lose population much as they have been doing for the past 40 years. They also gain population. If you pay attention to the posts regarding places to live, people want cities and towns.

The suburbanization and sprawl of America has been going on since WWII it is much more about pied a terre than liberal or conservative.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Why is "Air America" failing? Why does conservative talk radio do so well? Is it just bad radio? Are there not enough people on the left to listen to it? I do not have it in my area so I have never listened to it. I heard today that it is just about done. Maybe air america should talk to maybe Rush and ask what makes his show so successfull.
The reason they are failing is their market is saturated, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, PBS, Time, Newsweek, just about every metropolitan newspaper, and for the same reason conservative view points where you can find them are succesful!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Why is "Air America" failing? Why does conservative talk radio do so well? Is it just bad radio? Are there not enough people on the left to listen to it? I do not have it in my area so I have never listened to it. I heard today that it is just about done. Maybe air america should talk to maybe Rush and ask what makes his show so successfull.

For me, there's too much good music available to make me want to listen to political blah, blah, blah from either side of the fence.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Default Economies of scale

Quote:
It seems radio is a tough business, period. Doesn't Air America's decline have more to do with the fact that the big radio conglomerates, like Clear Channel and Westwood One, have economies of scale not available Air America? I'm no expert on the radio biz, so, just asking.

Satellite radio, were it not for subsidies from Ford and GM, would have failed a long time ago. The two satellite networks are now merging in an attempt to gain some economies of scale so that they can get off welfare and survive on their own, from what I hear (pardon the pun).

Old 03-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
It seems radio is a tough business, period. Doesn't Air America's decline have more to do with the fact that the big radio conglomerates, like Clear Channel and Westwood One, have economies of scale not available Air America? I'm no expert on the radio biz, so, just asking.

Satellite radio, were it not for subsidies from Ford and GM, would have failed a long time ago. The two satellite networks are now merging in an attempt to gain some economies of scale so that they can get off welfare and survive on their own, from what I hear (pardon the pun).
If there were a market for it it would succeed!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb nice post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
There are tremendous logical fallacies at work here. Cities lose population much as they have been doing for the past 40 years. They also gain population. If you pay attention to the posts regarding places to live, people want cities and towns.

The suburbanization and sprawl of America has been going on since WWII it is much more about pied a terre than liberal or conservative.
thanks for logic, greatbasinguide- who on earth just moves to a liberal or conservative place, based on that alone?. It is probably a mix of jobs, family, etc. Unless we have the luxury of thinking about elitist politics 24/7.

sunny

Old 03-11-2007, 01:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
If there were a market for it it would succeed!
It's more complex than that, to my understanding. In radio, because it's such an expensive medium, survival in the market often has just as much to do with financial backing as it does with the number of listeners. One doesn't necessarily determine the other, for various reasons, some could be political.

For instance, it's a documented fact that Clear Channel as a corporation is hugely supportive of conservative politicians and the Republican Party. As a corporation, CC doesn't have an interest in airing liberal voices. It's far more lucrative for CC to have governmental policies in place that advance their profits. Clear Channel gets these policies by pulling for conservatives to be in charge of government. Program ratings are another arena that plays a lesser role. Besides, radio as a powerful medium, Clear Channel has enormous power to influence the political outlook of its listeners towards conservative policies. Just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies