Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
damn , that sucks they ask you that. actually, thats friggin messed up
Except it is not true because you can't even determine the sex of a fetus until way way after 12 weeks.

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5276,00.html (broken link)

Quote:
On ultrasound, if your baby is cooperating and is positioned in a favorable way, his or her sex can be identified as early as the 16th to 18th week of your pregnancy. Of course, if your baby is "hiding his stuff" (positioned in such a way as to prevent identification), it will make no difference how far along in your pregnancy you are--you won't find out your baby's sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM

365 posts, read 692,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
I just find it very hypocritical to chastise others for actions that you yourself are guilty of.
Hypocritical? Just like x smokers, huh? FYI I don't chastise others for their actions. They didn't know any better than me. I chastise the availibility to make the murdering of ones own flesh and blood legal.
I know what the girls go through. I will never chastise those who go. Never have. I would never picket. I does absolutely no good.
I will vote.
Hypocritical? I don't think so.

Back on topic....the clinic should be shut down! No respect for their patiences, both BABY and mother. Records of the mother's should NOT have been in the dumpster for easy access to personal records. Just as sloppy as their "medical procedures."

All they want is the money....

Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Except it is not true because you can't even determine the sex of a fetus until way way after 12 weeks.

Boy or Girl? The Development of the Fetal Genitals (http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5276,00.html - broken link)

Weeks 9 to 12 (8th to 11th week of development)
  • The fetus reaches a length of 8 cm (3.2 inches).
  • The head comprises nearly half of the fetus' size.
  • The face is well formed
  • The eyelids close and will not reopen until about the 28th week.
  • Tooth buds, which will form the baby teeth, appear.
  • The limbs are long and thin.
  • The fetus can make a fist with its fingers.
  • Genitals appear well differentiated.
  • Red blood cells are produced in the liver.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Do your research. While the genitals are forming around week 12 - they cannot be detected on ultrasound until week 16 at the EARLIEST.

Have you ever been pregnant? Had a wife that was pregnant? If the answer is yes - then you should know this.

I also just checked with my good friend who performs sonograms - while sex can be detected at week 16 - it is difficult and most times it is not detected until the 20 week check up... unless you are shelling out for top of the line 3D ultrasounds and even then it is very difficult to determine until way after week 12.

They are not busy trying to find the sex of fetuses at a clinic - they are simply looking for fetal age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstetric_ultrasonography
The sex of the baby can usually be determined by ultrasound at any time after 16 weeks, often at the dating scan around 20 weeks into the pregnancy depending upon the quality of the sonographic machine and skill of the operator. This is also the best time to have an ultrasound done as most infants are the same size at this stage of development. Depending on the skill of the sonographer, ultrasound may suffer from a high rate of false negatives and false positives. This means care has to be taken in interpreting the accuracy of the scan.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/fetal-ultrasound
The sex of your fetus can sometimes be determined by about the 18th week of pregnancy

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/preg...ticles/14.html
Most of the time one should be able to tell the sex of the baby by about 20 weeks and very often even at sixteen. On the other hand, as the correct visualization of any fetal part depends of a host of factors such as fetal position, amount of liquor and thickness of the abdominal wall, it may not be able to be certain about the sex even at 28 weeks.

http://bjr.birjournals.org/cgi/content/full/76/907/448
With 3D ultrasounds they can do it from 12 weeks.

Last edited by newtoli; 08-22-2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: added links

Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
First of all, I assisted at a clinic for a year. Not once for ANY abortion did they ask if you wanted to know the sex. That is bunk, I'm sorry. Unless you went to a private doctor or something. I had an abortion myself - I was not asked that either.

Second of all - you had the abortion done before 12 weeks? Sex cannot be determined that early - so why would they ask you? Genitals do not eevn start to develop until 14 weeks.
I was at Planned Parenthood for both. One in Rapid City and one in Omaha. I don't know why they asked me!!??? They asked me just as they took the BABY out. I told them "NO!" Would have made it even harder to deal with....

Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 PM

I don't believe you.

You can't determine fetal sex before 12 weeks. Sorry.

At that stage in Pregnancy, you get a D&C, dilation and cutterage. There is no "baby" taken out. The contents of the uterus are suctioned into a JAR next to the table. The doctor does not "take" anything out of your body and there is no "fetus" to check sex on. Wow.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
Quote:
Do your research. While the genitals are forming around week 12 - they cannot be detected on ultrasound until week 16 at the EARLIEST.

Have you ever been pregnant? Had a wife that was pregnant? If the answer is yes - then you should know this.

I also just checked with my good friend who performs sonograms - while sex can be detected at week 16 - it is difficult and most times it is not detected until the 20 week check up... unless you are shelling out for top of the line 3D ultrasounds and even then it is very difficult to determine until way after week 12.

They are not busy trying to find the sex of fetuses at a clinic - they are simply looking for fetal age.

Obstetric ultrasonography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The sex of the baby can usually be determined by ultrasound at any time after 16 weeks, often at the dating scan around 20 weeks into the pregnancy depending upon the quality of the sonographic machine and skill of the operator. This is also the best time to have an ultrasound done as most infants are the same size at this stage of development. Depending on the skill of the sonographer, ultrasound may suffer from a high rate of false negatives and false positives. This means care has to be taken in interpreting the accuracy of the scan.

Fetal Ultrasound
The sex of your fetus can sometimes be determined by about the 18th week of pregnancy

When can an ultrasound usually tell the sex of your baby? - Pregnancy Articles
Most of the time one should be able to tell the sex of the baby by about 20 weeks and very often even at sixteen. On the other hand, as the correct visualization of any fetal part depends of a host of factors such as fetal position, amount of liquor and thickness of the abdominal wall, it may not be able to be certain about the sex even at 28 weeks.

The use of three-dimensional ultrasound for fetal gender determination in the first trimester -- Michailidis et al. 76 (907): 448 -- The British Journal of Radiology
With 3D ultrasounds they can do it from 12 weeks.

"Most of the time one should be able to tell the sex of the baby by about 20 weeks and very often even at sixteen. With modern equipment, the diagnosis can be made even as early as 11 to 12 weeks (see below)"

Another article, Determination of gender - 10 and 14 weeks by Z Efrat et al which appeared in the Journal: Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1999; 13:305–30, reported:
The 172 women were all scanned transabdominally. Using a midline sagittal scan with the fetus supine and the spine parallel to the transducer face (sound lines perpendicular) ‘without extension of the spine or limbs’, angles were drawn on an image of the genital area with a line through the genital tubercle and another through the lumbosacral skin line. Male fetuses were characterised by an angle >300 (angle increases with age) and a females by parallel or convergent lines (angle <300). In other words, the phallus was vertical/cranially directed in males and caudally directed in females. At 12 weeks the accuracy of gender assignment was 98.7% and at 13 weeks the accuracy was 100%. There was incorrect assignment of males as females in 3% at 12 weeks and no females assigned as males after 12 weeks. The authors therefore conclude that ‘a final decision on invasive testing for sex-linked conditions should be undertaken only after 12 weeks of gestation’.

by the way, we are arguing about how we can tell its sex inside the womb....but I think we are forgeting, the baby was on its way out. I doubt you need to use ultrasound to see its sex at that point.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM

It doesn't matter - abortion is performed via DILATION AND CUTTERAGE at that point. A whole fetus is not "delivered". The contents of the uterus are SCRAPED UP and evacuated into a jar.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I don't believe you.

You can't determine fetal sex before 12 weeks. Sorry.

At that stage in Pregnancy, you get a D&C, dilation and cutterage. There is no "baby" taken out. The contents of the uterus are suctioned into a JAR next to the table. The doctor does not "take" anything out of your body and there is no "fetus" to check sex on. Wow.
I don't care if you believe me or not. Still don't change the fact they asked the question.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogie777 View Post
I don't care if you believe me or not. Still don't change the fact they asked the question.
You're claiming that they delivered a whole baby prior to 12 weeks and then asked you if you wanted to know the sex. Both times. Impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies