Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:38 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
Your exaggeration is amusing. I didn't say people shouldn't change, I said they should learn from each other. That is not going to happen when people automatically adopt the dominant culture simply because it is dominant. People can find common ground without losing their unique attributes.
That's exactly what people HAVE been doing, for about 200 years, here in the 'artificial' nation known as the USA. The 'common ground' they found enabled them to come together enough to build a great industrial economy, PLUS win two very BRUISING world wars, PLUS manage to be fairly well liked and respected over most of the world, until recently.

Just exactly what type of 'learning from each other' do you suggest we now adopt? What 'common ground' is it that we need to find, and with whom? If people in ANY country don't want to adopt the 'dominant culture', what culture do you suggest they adopt?...and most importantly, what happens when there are irreconcilable differences between "those" cultures, and the "dominant" one? What then?

If I wanted to move permanently to China..or Russia....or Germany...should I 'adapt' to the cultures of those places, or could I just continue to "act, think, and feel" American, forever? If not, WHY not? If I did NOT adapt, should I expect to be 'welcomed' by the local populace, just for being 'myself'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 02:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That's exactly what people HAVE been doing, for about 200 years, here in the 'artificial' nation known as the USA. The 'common ground' they found enabled them to come together enough to build a great industrial economy, PLUS win two very BRUISING world wars, PLUS manage to be fairly well liked and respected over most of the world, until recently.

Just exactly what type of 'learning from each other' do you suggest we now adopt? What 'common ground' is it that we need to find, and with whom? If people in ANY country don't want to adopt the 'dominant culture', what culture do you suggest they adopt?...and most importantly, what happens when there are irreconcilable differences between "those" cultures, and the "dominant" one? What then?

If I wanted to move permanently to China..or Russia....or Germany...should I 'adapt' to the cultures of those places, or could I just continue to "act, think, and feel" American, forever? If not, WHY not? If I did NOT adapt, should I expect to be 'welcomed' by the local populace, just for being 'myself'?
Couldn't have put it better myself .

Old 08-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself .
Thanks. It seems simple to me....but apparently it's not.....(?)...

Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Most "Hispanics" in the U.S. are of the Mestizo Hispanic or "Native" Indian Hispanic variety.
Not in Florida.

Miami, the "Latin American capital" is primarily white Cubans and South Americans.... indistinguishable from a typical New York Italian unless they open their mouths and that awful Miami accent comes tumbling out as opposed to Brooklynese.

There is about as much ...or less.... genetic similarity between a typical blue eyed Uruguyan and a clearly indigenous Guatemalan as there is between any black and white person in the United States, considering the average American black has something like 10-14% "white" mixture. Yet both the Uruguayan and Guatemalan are "Hispanic race"? Again, what am I missing?

How come German decent Argentinians get to be an oppressed minority when they emigrate to the United States, but immigrants from European Spain do not?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Not in Florida.

Miami, the "Latin American capital" is primarily white Cubans and South Americans.... indistinguishable from a typical New York Italian unless they open their mouths and that awful Miami accent comes tumbling out as opposed to Brooklynese.

There is about as much ...or less.... genetic similarity between a typical blue eyed Uruguyan and a clearly indigenous Guatemalan as there is between any black and white person in the United States, considering the average American black has something like 10-14% "white" mixture. Yet both the Uruguayan and Guatemalan are "Hispanic race"? Again, what am I missing?

How come German decent Argentinians get to be an oppressed minority when they emigrate to the United States, but immigrants from European Spain do not?
Excellent points. Somehow this info seems to continue to elude many Americans. The diversity of the "Hispanic" world is on a par with the 'diversity' up here....at least.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
So it's okay for different types of people to live together, as long as they all act the same (read: white)?

What makes it "white"?

That's insanity. How about learning from another person's perspective, and perhaps realizing that the way you do things is not the only way.

How about those that are coming here learn from OUR way? Why is it that people want us to take time, effort, resources (money) to learn from THEIR perspective?

Why should someone have the bury their rich culture and heritage to fit in with the mainstream?

Because it is their CHOICE to come here. We aren't holding a gun to their heads to come here and lose thier culture. We are asking that they assmiliate like the millions before them did. Don't expect the natives/locals to bend over backwards for the them. How about I invite myself over to your house for dinner and say that I want to you to make food that I like instead of what you were going to make in the first place?

So the mainstream culture is the only one that offers something of value?
No. The mainstream culture provides uniformity for all different cultures to understand each other thus enabling people to get along better. Nobody is asking people to ditch their culture, but to possibly put it aside at times when a clash of cultures leads to conflict.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
It is acting white because white is the mainstream race in America and the culture reflects that.

And yet people of other cultures want so still come here and live. Wanting to get rid of white culture is also racist you know.

American culture does not fairly represent all the different groups that live here.

Says who? I see plenty of hispanic influences in towns every day as well as Asian. Open up your eyes.

You say that multiculturalism is to be avoided. That means everyone should adapt to a Eurocentric viewpoint and way of life. Not gonna happen.
Well, perhaps the Eurocentric viewpoint is what got America to its level of success in such a short time. Now other cultures come here and want to not just keep their culture, but to have other cultures practice it as well. Do you even see the hypocrisy in what you write? No other country bends over backward like we do in trying to appease others.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
""If I wanted to move permanently to China..or Russia....or Germany...should I 'adapt' to the cultures of those places, or could I just continue to "act, think, and feel" American, forever? If not, WHY not? If I did NOT adapt, should I expect to be 'welcomed' by the local populace, just for being 'myself'?""

Around the world, visiting or resident Americans (and Europeans in general) are pretty much left to behave as they please. From American films and TV, people all over the world have a fair idea of what Amerians do, and they just grin and bear it. The rest of the world is a great deal more tolerant of "different" behavior than Americans are, because they have not been so isolated from strangers wandering through.

It might surprise you that Arab countries are the most tolerant of all. Foreigners can live how they please among Arabs, who simply regard non-Muslims as being doomed right from the start, and Allah will take care of judging them. Muslims think of themselves as being sufficiently disciplined, that the presence of American behavior will not influence them to change their own ways. In general, Arabs and Muslims are very generous welcoming and hospitable and tolerant of strangers and outsiders (almost to a fault), and never expect people from other cultures to adopt their ways of doing things, but they are wonderfully flattered if strangers do.

Similarly, Latin Americans are very forgiving of American peculiarities, and will even occasionally make an effort to accommodate visiting Americans, such as making a special effort to show up on time for an appointment. Nobody there expects Americans to become Latinized. Americans are not hated as much as you think, mainly because people in the rest of the world have a more limited capacity for hate and intolerance and indignation.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:56 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
The OP's assertion is beyond disgusting. I'm mixed Black/White and I think I do just fine. The only tibit I do agree with is that diveristy is sometimes used as code for "Anti-white". White people do deserve a seat at the table so far as ideas and culture, nor do I believe they deserve all the heat they get for the world's ills. I don't think we'd have a better world once whites are gone and they deserve the right to be fruitful and duly represented both in Europe and abroad.

Having said that, it's not our [non-white people's] fault you're all fading away. Japan doesn't have immigration and they're still in population free-fall. If you want more white people, then go make some more white people. I'd love to have a blonde to make some quadroons with.

America belongs to everyone, from the blondest blonde to the darkest African (and everyone inbetween, of course). Anyone who thinks differently should drop dead.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 AM

257 posts, read 1,058,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Well, perhaps the Eurocentric viewpoint is what got America to its level of success in such a short time. Now other cultures come here and want to not just keep their culture, but to have other cultures practice it as well. Do you even see the hypocrisy in what you write? No other country bends over backward like we do in trying to appease others.
Yes, it was called hundreds of years of unpaid labor aka slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies