Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 12:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

We cannot be happy unless we are buying. Owning the trash is insufficient. Advertisers have trained us that only buying, preferably on credit, is the way to be happy.

My deepest sympathy for 834SM. You have disappeared because you are an example of the deepest fear plaguing our country. Telling themselves that “people choose to be poor” is better than admitting that it could happen to them.

Sane people do not choose to be poor. Only the addicted and insane would do so and being addicted and insane means that you are not reponsible for yourself and cannot be blamed for being poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Default Same reason so many choose to starve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Gotta give the Fascists something to talk about.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:58 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
so your answer is that you have no answer. gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Gotta give the Fascists something to talk about.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:46 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Being poor or not poor is the individuals personal choice. As long as some of the poor!!! are given a free handout, I repeat some of the poor, they will always stay that way. Why work when there is free food stamps, help paying the rent, help paying for child care, free food banks etc, etc. New a person that wanted five dollars. Asked her what she was going to buy. Her answer, a .99c burger, a .99c coke and a pack of cigarettes. So, I told her that when she gets real hungry she can eat the cigarettes. That is the mentality of many folks. Their priorities are all mixed up. Sorry, I have no sympathy for these people. Stefhen

Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 PM

95 posts, read 310,843 times
I agree with you that people often complain about not being able to afford the necessities, then on the contrary are spending too much of their earnings on things that they really don't need.

Some people are really just born into wealth and got handed everything in life. I know people that started their first day of work after law school, never worked a day before the age of 26! Never bought a used car, never been in any debt, no student loans needed whatsoever. With going as far as saying that poor people choose to be poor remember that some wealthy people don't choose to be wealthy, they are simply born into it.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Hah nope a high iq no way shape or form offends me. I, supposedly, have a high IQ as well, I simply don't put much stock in it and I question why someone would choose to obviously flaunt the fact that they've been told their iq is high. Seems that everyone you talk to these days has an iq over 130.

That...and she sounds like she got a good berating from Laura Schlesinger about her marriage.

You see, some people are able to get on their feet, and some make choices they believe or are told will work for them and in this economy, they don't.

So it is smug of someone to think because something worked for them, it will work for everyone else. They can only hope they never see the other side of the fence.

The "One Size Fits All" mentality.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
What is your definition of poor?

Some choose to be poor. Others were born into or fell victim to unfortunate circumstances. One day, at least I hope, most everyone matures and realizes that the world is a complex thing. Grey is a much more pervasive color than black and white.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:15 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
MEANWHILE though, your earlier lunacy about why sweeping a floor deserves $15 an hour speaks for itself as to the credentials for even a semblence of sense.
What force of cosmic justice deems necessary that it deserves less than $15 an hour, though?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
because they can find someone to do it for less. that's what a free market economy is. if you want to buy a computer, and best buy has one for $1000, but circuit city has the same computer for $700, where are you going to shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
What force of cosmic justice deems necessary that it deserves less than $15 an hour, though?

Old 09-16-2008, 05:25 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
But what's the connection between that and the state of "deserving" something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies