Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 05:34 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times

Advertisements

I guess you gotta ask texreb that. I just explained why, not the "deserving" aspect of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
But what's the connection between that and the state of "deserving" something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
marvelously fascinating my good gentleman

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM

109 posts, read 441,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I bet you that I could cut your expenses in half. I would bet that you carry a lot of debt, have several cell phones, cable, you obviously have internet. see, people are suffering from the entitlement disease.

But then he wouldn't be rich since he wouldn't have several cell phones, cable and internet. Right?

I honestly am quite pissed off by this.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
What force of cosmic justice deems necessary that it deserves less than $15 an hour, though?
Amazon.com: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Economics (The Complete Idiot's Guide): Tom Gorman: Books

Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
Ahhh... I see, so it's the market forces that are unimpeachable deliverers of cosmic justice then. "And on the eighth day, God proclaimed 'let there be equilibrium prices' and thus it were and for all times shall be and spoke God, 'for thou shalt not tamper with the equilibrium established by my wife Market for this equilibrium corresponds with all that is just and good in the world, and so be it that if a lowly loser such as a garbage man is paid more than his employer could theoretically get away with paying him without the satanic intervention of government regulation then the universe shall be consumed by black holes and gobbled up into the void,' and all spake 'amen' and proceeded to slaughter the fatted calf, taking care to pay the butcher the lowest amount for which he was willing to work in order to satisfy the Greatest Holy Command of the Eighth Day."

Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Amaznjohn, are you giving your family quality time, or are you spending all your free time taking advanced courses and second jobs, so if you get laid off, you will be prepared?

Not any more. I spent a reasonable amount of time in college but most of my time was spent OJT on a job that will provide me the opportunity to find another if I was to get "laid off" from this one.

Is the "American Dream" and "The Good Life" simply endless work and study? Is that what our ancestors worked so hard to create for us---generation after generation of constant toil?
No. But it is certainly NOT finding a comfortable job in hopes that you don't get fired or laid off. But then depending on the government (taxpayers) to pay for your responsibilities, in the event that you do.

Why do you have children? So you can ignore them while you work two jobs and take college classes, and so they can live their own lives doing the same thing, neglecting their children and working two jobs and taking college classes, so they can subject the next generation to more repetitions, century after century of this "American Dream"? When will the tree fruit?

I've never worked two jobs while I've had children. My college was before I had children. My aforementioned OJT is on-going but will allow me to live the "American Dream" because of my hard work and ambition despite the actions of others or any company. It's called insolation from external sources. One shouldn't have children if they aren't able to spend time with them.

Workers in European countries get 6 weeks paid vacation their very first year on the job. If they lose their job, they get 6 months with full pay. Everybody has health care, nobody has two jobs, they spend their time filfilling themselves and their families. Yes, you will say, and look at their productivity---no where near ours. OK. You look. Look in your garage at all that old junk that is piled up. That is YOUR productivity. Europeans can live fine without your garage full of junk. Why can't Americans?

Have you visited Europe, the land of mediocrity? What exactly is your definition of fullfilling onesself?
BTW, I don't have much "junk", my wife won't allow it.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
And Amzjhn says that with such a self satisfied smirk. I, for one, don't believe a word of it.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
And Amzjhn says that with such a self satisfied smirk. I, for one, don't believe a word of it.
Certainly your perogative. But I also reserve my right to believe that fiscal liberals don't believe that anyone can succeed without the help of the government.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Given recent events I am amused by so very many really successful businessmen (multimillionaires all) and their companies politely and desperately demanding to be saved from their own folly. I am annoyed that they are being bailed out with money the government does not have and will not tax these clowns to obtain. They will be bailed out with money extorted from most of the rest of us that cannot afford to save these fools.

“Oh, the government needs to buy up these ‘toxic’ assets. Like hell we do. If the assets are junk let the prices fall to zero and the idiots that used them for collateral take the losses. Who knows, after this works out we may have a new cohort of poor to care for. You know, the people that were recently wealthy based on their paper assets that did not exist in the real world.

I am ok with then trying to live on food stamps in a sec 8 apartment just like the rest of the poor. It would be a good lesson for most of them and just maybe relieve them of some of their insufferable arrogance.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I bet you that I could cut your expenses in half. I would bet that you carry a lot of debt, have several cell phones, cable, you obviously have internet. see, people are suffering from the entitlement disease.

What can you do for the more than 50% of filers of personal bankruptcy who were driven to that by medical costs? Can you heal them without bankrupting them? Or would your solution be just let them die so they won't be counted as 'poor'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies