Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times

Advertisements

you might be surprised. all it would take is for someone to have the same condition as you and start a foundation. they could raise money and produce good medicine. I don't know about your condition, but I do know that the patent laws keep needed medicine out of reach for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Patent laws basically mean nothing to me. My disorder is on the rarer side and there isn't enough demand to need competition. My drug is difficult to make, which is one of the reasons it's expensive. On the business side, nobody would go into competition for production of my medication because in no way would it be lucrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you might be surprised. all it would take is for someone to have the same condition as you and start a foundation. they could raise money and produce good medicine. I don't know about your condition, but I do know that the patent laws keep needed medicine out of reach for some.
There is a foundation. It's called the National Gaucher Foundation. You really have no idea how this stuff works... I've been involved with it my entire life (the medical and insurance stuff) and it's a lot more difficult to deal with than you think. We do fundraisers to raise awareness... it's too bad nobody gives a crap because it's a genetic disorder and not contracted, nor does it affect many Americans (it's centered around the Ashkenazi Jewish population) so it's not as important. You work with what you have, and try your best to make your situation work.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,299 times
Quote:
I boiled hot water because my hot water heater crapped out and I couldn't afford a new one, so I made do without. I am not entitled to hot water, and neither are you. AC is not mentioned in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. you are making up your own entitlements now.
Do you even think before you type anymore? WTH are you talking about with the whole ac is not mentioned in life, liberty, etc sentence? How is that even relevant to my post? Entitled to water? Who the hell ever said anything about being entitled? I think you're running out of crap to say so naturally you're gonna start pulling the crap outta your...

Old 10-16-2008, 12:20 PM

actually, my uncle is a MD and my uncle is a patent lawyer. I probably know more than you think. maybe if the laws weren't so strict, miglustat could have some generic competition. sorry, but the chemicals to make that medication aren't expensive.

Quote:
There is a foundation. It's called the National Gaucher Foundation. You really have no idea how this stuff works... I've been involved with it my entire life (the medical and insurance stuff) and it's a lot more difficult to deal with than you think. We do fundraisers to raise awareness... it's too bad nobody gives a crap because it's a genetic disorder and not contracted, nor does it affect many Americans (it's centered around the Ashkenazi Jewish population) so it's not as important. You work with what you have, and try your best to make your situation work.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 PM

ok ok. you are making all kinds of sense now. you think that you are entitled to everything including happiness. not the pursuit of happiness, but happiness itself. good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Do you even think before you type anymore? WTH are you talking about with the whole ac is not mentioned in life, liberty, etc sentence? How is that even relevant to my post? Entitled to water? Who the hell ever said anything about being entitled? I think you're running out of crap to say so naturally you're gonna start pulling the crap outta your...

Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
why is there poverty and some get stuck in it. while others gota wear gold plated underwear?
easy. greed.
you want too much you want too badly you want everything for nothin.
joni mitchell sing it.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
actually, my uncle is a MD and my uncle is a patent lawyer. I probably know more than you think. maybe if the laws weren't so strict, miglustat could have some generic competition. sorry, but the chemicals to make that medication aren't expensive.
You'd be surprised You have no idea what meds I take, therefore you don't know ho0w much the chemicals cost. They make my medication out of a synthesized form of a chemical only produced in the eggs of hampsters. Weird, eh? I get my medication in IV form twice a month and they're putting more research towards an oral form which would be cheaper. I'd rather them put the money towards that than making my current medication cheaper. So I'll be broke now, but hopefully not in the years to come. I've said it time and again... you can have sympathy all your life but until YOU YOURSELF are in that situation you can have no empathy and have no idea what is really going on.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 PM

we've gone back and forth, but I am not getting your point. what would you like to see done? I have said time and time again that if they had a fair taxation system, they could spend the money on whatever they wanted. I stand by that.

Quote:
You'd be surprised You have no idea what meds I take, therefore you don't know ho0w much the chemicals cost. They make my medication out of a synthesized form of a chemical only produced in the eggs of hampsters. Weird, eh? I get my medication in IV form twice a month and they're putting more research towards an oral form which would be cheaper. I'd rather them put the money towards that than making my current medication cheaper. So I'll be broke now, but hopefully not in the years to come. I've said it time and again... you can have sympathy all your life but until YOU YOURSELF are in that situation you can have no empathy and have no idea what is really going on.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
we've gone back and forth, but I am not getting your point. what would you like to see done? I have said time and time again that if they had a fair taxation system, they could spend the money on whatever they wanted. I stand by that.
My original point is that if you cannot afford the meds, you should not be doomed to die. What I would like to see done is insurance companies that work with pharmeceutical companies to make things affordable to eachother. I don't think socialized medicine, nor completely privatized medicine is the answer. Since I'm only going from experience here, I don't know the exacts. I just wanted to prove that you don't choose to be poor if you have necessary expensive medical issues, that's all

Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 PM

the medical industry is screwed up. no doubt about it. doctors are basically pimps for phizer and others. they push their name brand product that is expensive. I think a lot of medications are regressing. it seems like when an effective drug has an expired patent, it becomes a "dangerous" drug.

Quote:
My original point is that if you cannot afford the meds, you should not be doomed to die. What I would like to see done is insurance companies that work with pharmeceutical companies to make things affordable to eachother. I don't think socialized medicine, nor completely privatized medicine is the answer. Since I'm only going from experience here, I don't know the exacts. I just wanted to prove that you don't choose to be poor if you have necessary expensive medical issues, that's all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies