Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 02:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Middle class are poor? Hmmm learn something new everyday.
It does take a focused effort to improve ones self. It takes sacrifice. It takes determination and self control.
Saddly Americans are losing these qualities due to the entitlment mentality which each generation becomes more and more plaqued with.
Who did this to us?
Our parents and theirs before them. Each generation seeks to better provide an easier life for their children. The old tales of I had to walk up hill both ways through 2 feet of snow... But not my kids.
And then you have the Gov entitlment programs. Like welfare.... Yes they are needed because in some cases the individuals have no alternatives.
Section 8 housing. Can't afford rent but they own computers,sat dish and a late model car.
Many of us didn't like growing up poor. Me on a small dairy farm. I hated hand me downs free lunch ticket at school etc. So we focused our efforts. saved when ever we could and dug our way out of being poor. 5 out of 5 kids dug their way out in my family. None of us have ever taken a dime in assistance. You bet I am proud of this fact.
I had an advantage. That farm. We learned to work. We learned that sweat won't kill you. We learned you don't quit till the hay is in..
Kids today? Very few understand those concepts.
My son had chores at 5 years old. His allowance was earned. I hope that the lessons he learned will carry him as they carried me.
I agree ... Parents and government have both contributed to the "softening" of America and we are reaping the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
I am afraid that people who consider themselves middle class will find out soon that they are much closer to the poverty end of the spectrum then the wealthy end of the spectrum. Whatever happened to "there, but for the grace of god, go I"?
Yup, it'll happen..

Sad to see posters here who want to see children as young as 7 and 8 working in mines and being used as slave labor on farms and in factories...OH the GOOD OLD DAYS!...that'll teach 'em...make 'em tough!!! Ya, working 24/7 is a great way to toughen up this country! Show 'em what real work is!!

After all if they learn that a day's wages will get you a whole gallon of milk THAT'LL teach them to appreciate MILK! There's some who don't HAVE milk you lazy slob!
This life isn't to enjoy!!!
It's to work and work constantly and more and more as wages go down and if your wages go down it's all your fault...just work more!...If you have the strength to go home then you have the strength to work longer!!! Yup, work is all life is about, life and making money and nothing else....nose to the grinstone you naughty 10 year old!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, it'll happen..

Sad to see posters here who want to see children as young as 7 and 8 working in mines and being used as slave labor on farms and in factories...OH the GOOD OLD DAYS!...that'll teach 'em...make 'em tough!!! Ya, working 24/7 is a great way to toughen up this country! Show 'em what real work is!!

After all if they learn that a day's wages will get you a whole gallon of milk THAT'LL teach them to appreciate MILK! There's some who don't HAVE milk you lazy slob!
It's to work and work constantly and more and more as wages go down and if your wages go down it's all your fault...just work more!...If you have the strength to go home then you have the strength to work longer!!! Yup, work is all life is about, life and making money and nothing else....nose to the grinstone you naughty 10 year old!
I think you are exaggerating just a tad bit here. We are not proposing requiring children to work as slave laborers. Parents can teach kids so much by simply requiring them to complete chores around the house (as long as they keep it age appropriate). Also, require that kids complete their homework prior to turning on the TV or video game. It's about teaching children responsibility and teamwork, which they will thank you for later when they become successful. Instilling the value of hard work in children is one of the biggest contributions you can make towards the success of your children as they become adults.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:31 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I agree ... Parents and government have both contributed to the "softening" of America and we are reaping the consequences.
I agree about the parents aspect, I'm actually pretty disgusted by how parents treat their kids like friends & fear upsetting them. That plus now schoolyards are filled w/cushy ground covering like rubber instead of the cement & hot steel that we dealt w/when we were younger. But I digress..I don't agree about the government aspect. The only thing I can see that government has contributed would be welfare, but again welfare is meant as a stepping stone, something to fall back on, NOT someone's primary source of income.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Yup, it'll happen..

Well, I have to agree w/this one. It's true, have you seen how kids are in school now? They have absolutely no social life, it's all about afterschool sports, activities, work, etc. Not that there's anything wrong w/that of course, but it seems like kids are being pushed & pressured more. But you see that same go go go work ethic in adults too. How many people do you know secretly pride themselves & gloat that they simply have no time to do anything anymore? All their time is taken up by work & work & other activities? No one takes their vacation anymore. It's kind of a sickness. I for one try to enjoy my life, that's why I'm here. Why should anyone work their fingers to the bone, just to say that they're busier than the next person? People need to slow down, relax & enjoy themselves more. Maybe that's the key to getting rid of all this anger, stress & violence that is so prevalent nowadays.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well, I have to agree w/this one. It's true, have you seen how kids are in school now? They have absolutely no social life, it's all about afterschool sports, activities, work, etc. Not that there's anything wrong w/that of course, but it seems like kids are being pushed & pressured more. But you see that same go go go work ethic in adults too. How many people do you know secretly pride themselves & gloat that they simply have no time to do anything anymore? All their time is taken up by work & work & other activities? No one takes their vacation anymore. It's kind of a sickness. I for one try to enjoy my life, that's why I'm here. Why should anyone work their fingers to the bone, just to say that they're busier than the next person? People need to slow down, relax & enjoy themselves more. Maybe that's the key to getting rid of all this anger, stress & violence that is so prevalent nowadays.
I agree...the grasping and clawing for money is not what I think life should be about....but obviously some think that's what it's ALL about....that if you're not working until you drop into bed each night exhausted, for 4-5 hours of worthless, non-money making sleep, there's something wrong with you.
THIS is the "world's greatest country"? Do the Puritan ethics reach so far down that they can't be shaken off long enough to ENJOY life? Or is that a big "sin"?

You say, """People need to slow down, relax & enjoy themselves more. Maybe that's the key to getting rid of all this anger, stress & violence that is so prevalent nowadays"""

You're right...maybe, just maybe , kids wouldn't rebel, do drugs or act out if they didn't have so much pressure.....maybe, just maybe it isn't from being spoiled or lazy...???

Old 12-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
You say, """People need to slow down, relax & enjoy themselves more. Maybe that's the key to getting rid of all this anger, stress & violence that is so prevalent nowadays"""

You're right...maybe, just maybe , kids wouldn't rebel, do drugs or act out if they didn't have so much pressure.....maybe, just maybe it isn't from being spoiled or lazy...???
It's definitely something to think about. While times do change of course & situations change, I think all in all, people aren't truly happy in their life because they're not out there LIVING it. I work two jobs, one full-time & the other part-time, but I STILL don't have money. Even though I know this, I refuse to get another part-time job. Life is too short, I want to spend my time here hanging out w/my friends & just enjoying myself. While it's true it's hard to enjoy yourself when you don't have money, how much more fun is it if you're constantly working & have no time to be w/friends or family? No thanks, I'd rather have a bit of a struggle to pay bills then knock myself out working & having nothing to show for it.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
there is only so much wealth that exists in an economy.. whether it be national or global economy.. the more one person has... the less other's have.. its pretty basic economics...

BZZZZZT, wrong.

Where was all this static "Wealth" during the middle ages? Oh, that's right, it was created. Wealth can be either created or destroyed. Americans choose to destroy it by being fiscally ignorant on how money works.

Stop blaming others for your issues....

Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 PM

491 posts, read 748,692 times
sorry, but I shun left wing propaganda words like "livable wage." if you are alive, you are making a livable wage. this country doesn't really know true poverty. I refuse to feel sorry for someone because they can't afford $100 sneakers. that's not poor. this is the most wasteful country in the world. I get out, I see the real causes of poverty.

You do not get out much do you? You really have not been to a poor area of a country because there are plenty out there with people not making a livable wage. How do you know poor people are paying 100 for shoes have you even been poor? It is funny when people talk about stuff they know nothing about.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
sorry, but I shun left wing propaganda words like "livable wage." if you are alive, you are making a livable wage. this country doesn't really know true poverty. I refuse to feel sorry for someone because they can't afford $100 sneakers. that's not poor. this is the most wasteful country in the world. I get out, I see the real causes of poverty.

You do not get out much do you? You really have not been to a poor area of a country because there are plenty out there with people not making a livable wage. How do you know poor people are paying 100 for shoes have you even been poor? It is funny when people talk about stuff they know nothing about.
So true. The poor here in America is far richer than the poor in many countries. If the poor in America can complain about not being able to afford $100 shoes or the latest gadget, then this serves as a testimony of the US high standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies