Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 12:54 PM

185 posts, read 108,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Good OP. I think most people have been conditioned to have the liberal mindset that they are too stupid to be the masters of their own destiny. Got to rely on 'da man' for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
A post like this reminds me of how many young people there are in this country that are really naive about how life works. First you have to define what you mean by poor. Do you mean people who don't spend their life in pursuit of wealth? There are a lot of people who choose to live very simply because "things" just don't mean that much to them. They prefer to work at a job they enjoy and spend their time with family and/or the enjoyment of nature, books, music, etc. You might think they are "poor" because they don't have a big fancy house and a lot of toys but they may indeed be living a very rich, fulfilling life. And a lot of very well educated people choose this style of life too I might add. Then there are people who have worked hard all their lives and thought they had achieved their goals and security. Then the company for which they work moves to Poland and other companies who employ people with similar skills also close down or move. Suddenly they watch everything for which they have worked go away as they struggle to survive and find another means of making a living. Then there are people who made poor choices when they were too young to make good choices and are now doing what they can to live with the results of those choices. I could go on and on but life will teach you that everything isn't as simple as you believe when you are young and inexperienced. I would also suggest that you look at some of the very, very wealthy young people in this country who did not do a single thing to earn their wealth....they were just born to it and end up wasting it through decandant living a life in which they accomplish nothing and leave nothing behind them but bad feelings.
Funny. You are the one who sounds young, naive, and inexperienced in life. The OP has it right. Poverty is almost always a choice. And obviously poverty is measured by the person's own view of himself as you say. So if you are satisfied with your income level, fine. If you aren't, stop whining and do something about it.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
I cant afford healthcare but i do have the net. I need the net for my classes because some are online. My knee is grinding to the point that I may not be able to finish school. It is becoming increasing difficult for me to even walk. The pain I feel is getting pretty bad. Before you judge others I suggest you walk a mile in their shoes. People like you make me sick.
Don't bash the OP. It's not his fault your knees hurt. What are YOU doing to improve your situation?

Old 05-17-2009, 01:03 PM

530 posts, read 649,967 times
I do have to add that not everyone choses poverty, but alot do. When you turn 18 the us government will pay for you to go to college and the poorer you are the more they will give you. The problem in america is entitlement. If one is good than 2 is better. Most people live way above their means and even the poor can afford the things they want. I'm a nurse so i see alot of this ( can't afford healthcare but can afford cigs). Wake up people. Everyone wants to gripe aabout how bad things are, try having no food, water or electricty. I have traveled all over the world and have been fortunate to realize that in most countries there is no choice. Americans need to stop whining about their circumstances and be willing to do something about it not just wait for a handout!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then instead of spending all this money on education and job training, offering free college to the poor, why not just introduce them to Obama and Congress and some important people?
Because just because they've met you, doesn't mean they're going to do anything FOR you--at least not without a little quid pro quo. Consider the President's Cabinet members--any president. Their skill and ability don't mean as much as the fact that they know the guy in power.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:15 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegie View Post
Good OP. I think most people have been conditioned to have the liberal mindset that they are too stupid to be the masters of their own destiny. Got to rely on 'da man' for a job.
interesting you say liberals are unrealistic when you don't seem to grasp the faintest idea that not everyone can be rich.

is someone who works at mcdonalds rich? is someone who cleans hotel rooms rich? are you blaming them for not being rich? is your plumber rich? how about the cable guy?

if they were to educate themselves in the pursuit of higher paying employment, who would fill those lower paying positions? a ghost?

so everyone can live in some mcmansion and make six figure incomes in this current economic system??

you are such a comedian.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 PM

A tradesman actually makes "decent" money.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 PM

242 posts, read 788,675 times
My english professor told us that if we ever used wikipedia for a reference we would fail the WHOLE course cause basically my cat can post there.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
My english professor told us that if we ever used wikipedia for a reference we would fail the WHOLE course cause basically my cat can post there.

I don't trust the Internet as a valid reference at all, actually.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
I do have to add that not everyone choses poverty, but alot do. When you turn 18 the us government will pay for you to go to college and the poorer you are the more they will give you. The problem in america is entitlement. If one is good than 2 is better. Most people live way above their means and even the poor can afford the things they want. I'm a nurse so i see alot of this ( can't afford healthcare but can afford cigs). Wake up people. Everyone wants to gripe aabout how bad things are, try having no food, water or electricty. I have traveled all over the world and have been fortunate to realize that in most countries there is no choice. Americans need to stop whining about their circumstances and be willing to do something about it not just wait for a handout!
Even handouts usually have strings or conditions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-system-2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies