Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times

Advertisements

China is about business.
Wars with your biggest customer are bad for business.
Time is on China's side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:25 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
China is about business.
Wars with your biggest customer are bad for business.
Time is on China's side.
There may be a time in the future where the USA is not the biggest customer. China is developing its markets in throughout Asia and Europe. Does this mean China will go to war with the USA? I do not think so. But some others here might differ in opinion.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:42 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
/e hears China singing

Tiiiiiiiiiiime is on my side, yes it is.

Sometimes its easier to simply buy something than deal with the mess of stealing it. China is evolving. As the politics and situation of China change, Tiawan will be more and more similar. As they become more similar, it might well look more attractive to simply join China...

Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Frank

It was theirs to burn if they chose to do so. Hardly a justification to loot it.

I was watching a Discovery Channel program where a convicted (but apparently free) British antiquities smuggler used that very same argument about how he was actually saving things from the Arabs.
So it was the ChiComs right to destroy what wasn't theirs?

So if I proclaim myself ruler or whatever, I can destroy whatever I can physically get to and anyone who holds out is the same as being a thief?

I may be wrong, but that seems to be exactly what you are saying. It was the right of the Communists to do whatever they wanted because they could, but when someone else did something else because they could, it became wrong.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times
Quote:
Mircea

With that being said, I do not blame the OP. The OP and many others have been hearing this Taiwan good, China Commie Hell Hole bad chant for quite some time. Don't you know, if you just carry a picture of the Dalai Lama, they will execute you or worse!!!
Actually, that's true. Carrying a picture of the DL or flying a Tibetan flag can land you in prison or even in a grave.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to be a cheerleader for what is probably the most brutal, repressive regime on the face of the planet today.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Actually, that's true. Carrying a picture of the DL or flying a Tibetan flag can land you in prison or even in a grave.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to be a cheerleader for what is probably the most brutal, repressive regime on the face of the planet today.
And you know this to be true? Please provide some verifiable proof. If you can, I will accept it. A name. A date. A photo. Anything. Can you even recount the story and circumstance that you heard the story that you base this on?

If you can't, then I will remain skeptical and that might even bleed into your following claims.

I understand that even flying an American flag in the USA can get you in hot water. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,245019,00.html

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-26-2008 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,958 times
You've got to love the kneejerk nationalists.

Some people simply cheer China on becauase they, like myself, have money tied in their 401(k) and other accounts with them. Also, as China gets richer, the people stand to benefit. Isn't it a good thing to wish other people well, or just Americans? The United States can learn (or rather, re-learn) what it's like to actually have a capitalist society instead of a command/control economy where Fannie/Freddie operate on the taxpayer dime and bank bailouts are an everday occurrence, and this behavior is not only anticipated, it's tolerated for some bend over backwards apologist reason or another.

China needs to improve property rights a bit more as well as human rights, but in terms of most things economy related, they're doing A-OK. Thumbs up for them in that respect!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
You've got to love the kneejerk nationalists.

Some people simply cheer China on becauase they, like myself, have money tied in their 401(k) and other accounts with them. Also, as China gets richer, the people stand to benefit. Isn't it a good thing to wish other people well, or just Americans? The United States can learn (or rather, re-learn) what it's like to actually have a capitalist society instead of a command/control economy where Fannie/Freddie operate on the taxpayer dime and bank bailouts are an everday occurrence, and this behavior is not only anticipated, it's tolerated for some bend over backwards apologist reason or another.

China needs to improve property rights a bit more as well as human rights, but in terms of most things economy related, they're doing A-OK. Thumbs up for them in that respect!
View

As the great Philosopher Rodney King once said "Can't we all just get along?"

It is as simple as that. China is moving in the right direction as it finally has some traction on pulling it's 1.3 Billion citizens out of the deficit it started with. How would we do if we had that size population?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Why is it that the current inhabitants of Taiwan could simply go over to THAT island and occupy it while casting accusations at the the Chinese back on the mainland.
People forget it was the US that kicked Taiwan off of the UN Security Council and it was the US that kicked Taiwan out of the UN.

A "One China" policy isn't Chinese at all, it's a US concept.

Quote:
With that being said, I do not blame the OP. The OP and many others have been hearing this Taiwan good, China Commie Hell Hole bad chant for quite some time.
It just goes to show you how damaging indoctrination and inculcation in schools (both public and private) is.

I was the same way until I started drinking with Russians (I worked at Helmstedt off and on), and partying at the Moscow (a restaurant in East Berlin). I spent 60 days in the field with them on their version of REFORGER. Used to drink with Soviet pilots in a little bar in Toszeg. Worked with Chinese at UN refugee camp near Mae Hong Son.

If you hang out in some of the US economic slave colonies, especially those in Central America, there really isn't much difference between the US and China, except that the US is a better liar.

Quote:
The older generation Taiwanese harbor an unjustified superiority complex.
Not really. Borodin was the Soviet advisor to both the CPP and the KMT. He advised Stalin to back the KMT, since they were the more ruthless of the two.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder
The older generation Taiwanese harbor an unjustified superiority complex.

BY Mircea

Not really. Borodin was the Soviet advisor to both the CPP and the KMT. He advised Stalin to back the KMT, since they were the more ruthless of the two.

Perhaps this is beyond my pay grade. Does your statement preclude the "superiority complex" claim I make? I draw that from personal experience over decades of dealings with the Taiwanese. Not the Military, just the older Taiwanese in general. Much like how the British have this superiority complex over the peasant Italians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies