Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
How do you know that those items were not gifts? I doubt very much that anyone that qualifies for food aid could afford real gold earrings or new cell. If they can they lied about their income and broke the law.

Oh man..have you been to the welfare office ever?

Gifts schmifts....Sell that crap if you really need to make ends meet.
Rich people sell off pieces all the time. Why can welfare wanda too?

One chick was an obvious stripper on welfare. I recognized her from an ad!

THAT really ticked me off. Strippers make CASH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Oh man..have you been to the welfare office ever?

Gifts schmifts....Sell that crap if you really need to make ends meet.
Rich people sell off pieces all the time. Why can welfare wanda too?

One chick was an obvious stripper on welfare. I recognized her from an ad!

THAT really ticked me off. Strippers make CASH.
Eh to be honest I try to avoid going around the job and family services building when I am downtown...it is kinda depressing. I know some people abuse the system. Trust me, I've said "welfare rejects" under my breath quite a few times when I am out on the first, most of the time I avoid going out on the first. I also know of hard working families that just need the extra help. My mother, for instance, years ago almost died and was in the hospital for months. I had to go live with my grandma. She couldn't afford the extra mouth to feed so she had to get some aid from the gov. I was with here for about a year. My mother now works literally like 80 hours a week. Oh and I was about 12-13 at the time.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Junk which you can't afford? Most of the calorie dense foods I've seen; chips, dollar little debie cake packs, etc ARE the CHEAP foods. Which is why poor people buy them, which is why they're overweight.
Today, a five pound bag of potatoes is a dollar at my local supermarket. It's been a long time since I could buy 16-oz bags of potato chips at 5-for a dollar.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM

My roomate would go to the store for me at that time and got glares because he was obviously healthy.

I dont think its very nice to call them welfare rejects. I am not saying no one needs it.
I just think it needs to be shaved off a bit or changed to make fraud harder.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Today, a five pound bag of potatoes is a dollar at my local supermarket. It's been a long time since I could buy 16-oz bags of potato chips at 5-for a dollar.
wow where do you live, we just bought normal ordinary potatoes and they were 3.29 for the five pound bag and 6.09 for the 10 pound bag. That is great! A store brand whole wheat bread is 2.45. A good mulitgrain bread is costing us 4 dollars a loaf in Hampton Roads.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Wow... I can't believe how many people are griefing Pitt. I'm with him/her. I know there's a necessity for some subsidized programs (medical, welfare, food stamps, WIC, housing, etc.). But there are those out there abusing the system in a major way. And if you all want to believe that EVERY person that walks through the door needs the help, you are the reason my tax dollars never make it back to me. I see my tax dollars as a charity donation.. because it goes to the poor, huddled masses (boo hoo).

I think there are people that need the help.. no doubt about it. But I think those that abuse the system far outweigh (in numbers) those it helps.

And I think, without putting words in his/her mouth, Pitt is trying to say that if we make the social programs so lucrative to an individual that it's easier to sit at home and either father kids, or pop out kids, than to get a job and pay taxes BACK into the program you are getting it from, then we defeat the purpose of the system.

Why get a job flipping burgers, cleaning, ironing clothes, or anything else when I can stay at home and probably provide more income from others tax dollars?

Tell me how hard up individuals are when they are on medicaid, welfare, etc. and still drive a $40k SUV (more than one occasion in the small town I live in). Yeah... they're just frugal... know how to stretch their income... my a**.

Give them what they need.. no more.. no less. If there is ONE "Help Wanted" sign in a city, that city should not be paying one cent in subsidies (other than to those who obviously can't work because of disabilities).

Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
My roomate would go to the store for me at that time and got glares because he was obviously healthy.

I dont think its very nice to call them welfare rejects. I am not saying no one needs it.
I just think it needs to be shaved off a bit or changed to make fraud harder.
I will agree with you that more resources should be put towards fraud, but that does not mean people who really need it should get less. Perhaps we are mixing apples with oranges, pun intended here. Are you more concerned that people who are not eligible for the service are getting it and making a show of themselves at the same time?Thieves are thieves, whether stealing from one or the whole, whether petty, dorporate, or welfare frauds. Of course we should catch the thieves.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
If there is ONE "Help Wanted" sign in a city, that city should not be paying one cent in subsidies (other than to those who obviously can't work because of disabilities).
YOu have said this before. Tell me how the city is going to force the company to hire folks they do not want to hire?

Now besides what you think, please provide figures to back up your assumptions that more people than not are thieves? And please take the car license number of the people you see in the big cars and report them.

My neighbor works for the United Way, has very little cash, is pregnant and her husband ifell ill. She is staying with her job until the pregnancy is over to keep her medical. Her car was stolen. She is on foodstamps, but a kindly couple just gave her an older Lincoln Towncar to get to work. You can look her up in the Virginia Pilot if you wish. She did not buy a big car, someone helped her out with it. Families and communities do that stuff, my cousin gave me a car when she got a new one, a car I could never have afforded on my own with a military family's paycheck years ago. I just think assuming the worst about people is nonproductive.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
wow where do you live, we just bought normal ordinary potatoes and they were 3.29 for the five pound bag and 6.09 for the 10 pound bag. That is great! A store brand whole wheat bread is 2.45. A good mulitgrain bread is costing us 4 dollars a loaf in Hampton Roads.
4 Dollars for a loaf of bread?! JC!

Make your own for pennies!

Not only that those 4$ loaf of bread stores throw out so much food. If you know someone that works in a place you can get it for free. Or get day olds which make better toasted sandwiches.

Dollar stores sell 99cent bread all the time.
__________________________________________________ ______

Really simple main concern! WASTE!
It has nothing to do with one person. Its the system.
Even if you are rightfully getting the stamps you dont need that much.
No matter what. So its a waste when it could be going elsewhere.

How many of you nay sayers even actually looked at the content of what you were eating on the stamps? Or counted calories? You are just blurting out nutritional needs bla bla bla
but you are not watching what you really eat. I did. I am telling you that you dont need that much to make 2000 cals of good food.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
I really do...I was thinking about this as I was drawing up our new food budget...

Anyway..Awhile back I had a injury and couldnt work.
I had a food stamp period for 90 days because that was all I really ran short on(and I had an elec shut off notice)

But anyway...They gave me WAY too much money. WAY WAY WAY too much.
I could of fed two of me on it and tons of premium stuff too. I didnt even end up using it all or even close to it. I think I may of used less than half. And I didnt eat like a bird at all or even close to it.

I really makes me feel strange after I had that and then to reflect on all the overweight people in the public assitance office. And I wonder who decides to set the (x) amt that a person gets for food?

I think they need to reduce the amt that they hand out and give a hand out to people on how to stretch the food budget.

Anyone ever have this and agree?

Sounds great let's cut food stamp's but continue to increase corporate bail out's among the other countless perks we pay for for corporation's and over-sea's foreign military aid .

I prefer to see food stamp's go to half of what you got so we increase the monthly car allowance we give to politician's and other city/state brass so now they can drive Rolls Royce intead of a BMW .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies