Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,491 times

Advertisements

Although I'm a registered Republican, I still hold many values that are considered liberal (pro-choice, pro-stem cell research). But things are very black and white for me. Unfortunately (or fortunately for those that agree?) I believe in the best for society over the best for an individual (to an extent, obviously). I believe that if you have concrete evidence that someone killed another person, not in self defense, but in a true crime, they die the next day. That way.. I can GUARANTEE they will not become a repeat offender. Black and white. He's a killer or not.. a rapist or not.

I might have voted for Obama if all the talk about his being black wasn't thrown in my face 20 times a day. He's a man. He has ideas and principles. Unfortunately, those got overshadowed by people touting his skin color.. the same thing we are trying to teach our kids to ignore. Explain that to me??!

But... since I'm more of an Independent (issues more important than party) I vote who says more of what I agree with... but given overall issues divided by party, I lean a little more right than left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I might have voted for Obama if all the talk about his being black wasn't thrown in my face 20 times a day. He's a man. He has ideas and principles. Unfortunately, those got overshadowed by people touting his skin color.. the same thing we are trying to teach our kids to ignore. Explain that to me??!

But... since I'm more of an Independent (issues more important than party) I vote who says more of what I agree with... but given overall issues divided by party, I lean a little more right than left.
Not to turn this into "you should vote for whomever" thread, but Barack Obama is not throwing his race in your face repeatedly, the media is doing that. He is just a man who wants to be President, the media is trying to get ratings and stirring up racial issues is an easy way to do that. Please make your choice based on the issues and the character of the candidates, not on what the media is trying to shove down your throat.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:37 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
I guess I am a conservative Democrat. I think there is a new breed of Western Democrat that is a really interesting mix. The governor of my state, Brian Schweitzer is a good example. He has has an A rating from the NRA and wants to develop clean coal. His lt. gov is a Republican. But, he cares greatly about education and the cause of the working man/woman. More than anything, I'm a Populist.

I guess I just think Republicans don't care about the common person. I also think Democrats tend to be more egalitarian. As a woman, that's important to me. They're better on strictly women's issues and also issues that women care about a great deal, like education. On the other hand, there's just something I like about shooting guns and supporting traditional marriage.
Folks like Schweitzer are the future of the Democratic party. They also happen to be much like the past of the Democratic party. The northeastern liberal wing of the party has taken the party too far from it's roots. There are still plenty of Truman Democrats out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies