Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,796,885 times

Advertisements

The title of the thread comes from the book written by Nancy D. Polikoff, Beyond (Straight And Gay) Marriage: Valuing All Families under the Law.
I was just looking for some interesting reads in the magazine section of the library and the July/August 2008 cover of UTNE jumped out at me.
It’s Not a Gay Thing...

I found it to be a really interesting article and it certainly opened up my mind.
This link is not the article I read but it's still a very interesting read.
The Marriage Revolution | Sex and Relationships | AlterNet

I'd just like to get others opinions on one or both the links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
You present a popular, if fatuous, line of argument among pro-gay "marriage" proponents. My congratulations to them all for staying on message.

You missed a newer one, though. Here it is. Enjoy:

My Big Fat Straight Wedding

My problem with this line of argument ("marriage is a Constitutional right!") is that it does not preclude expanding the increasingly transmogrified (in some people's minds) definition of marriage to include any entity defined as an "adult person."

The efforts of NAMBLA (supported by the ACLU) to lower the age of legal consent (to, well -- perhaps birth?), would seem to indicate that opening this particular Pandora's box of judicial innovation might have consequences capable of provoking dismay even among the most shock-proof of "progressive" thinkers.

But then again, what the heck. It might not. Their upper lips do seem stiff enough to deal with the horror show of a society that they envision...

Old 08-21-2008, 04:33 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,426,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf
The efforts of NAMBLA (supported by the ACLU) to lower the age of legal consent (to, well -- perhaps birth?), would seem to indicate that opening this particular Pandora's box of judicial innovation might have consequences capable of provoking dismay even among the most shock-proof of "progressive" thinkers.
Is the ACLU REALLY supporting NAMBLA's efforts to lower the age of legal consent...?..... or are we confusing what ACLU did when it "defended" NAMBLA to stop vicarious liability to publishers for the crimes of their readers as

Don't get me wrong, the ACLU supports some stuff I don't agree with, but the whole, "they [ACLU] support NAMBLA" thing is wrong. They don't support the MISSION of NAMBLA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf
But then again, what the heck. It might not. Their upper lips do seem stiff enough to deal with the horror show of a society that they envision...
What "horror show" of a society do you envision? Gay and lesbian couples setting up permanent, stable households and raising kids? THAT's horrific to you? Do you prefer your gays relegated to ghettoes free from societal constraints and pressures that reign in straight couples?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Is the ACLU REALLY supporting NAMBLA's efforts to lower the age of legal consent...?..... or are we confusing what ACLU did when it "defended" NAMBLA to stop vicarious liability to publishers for the crimes of their readers as

Don't get me wrong, the ACLU supports some stuff I don't agree with, but the whole, "they [ACLU] support NAMBLA" thing is wrong. They don't support the MISSION of NAMBLA!!!
Sorry. In effect, by enabling NAMBLA to continue their efforts, they do. And no amount of parsing will change that.

Quote:
What "horror show" of a society do you envision? Gay and lesbian couples setting up permanent, stable households and raising kids? THAT's horrific to you? Do you prefer your gays relegated to ghettoes free from societal constraints and pressures that reign in straight couples?
I won't ask you to reread my post. Just enjoy that whole army of strawmen you've created to keep you company.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,922,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You present a popular, if fatuous, line of argument among pro-gay "marriage" proponents. My congratulations to them all for staying on message.

You missed a newer one, though. Here it is. Enjoy:

My Big Fat Straight Wedding

My problem with this line of argument ("marriage is a Constitutional right!") is that it does not preclude expanding the increasingly transmogrified (in some people's minds) definition of marriage to include any entity defined as an "adult person."

I believe we've already had plenty of slippery slope arguments on this board in regards to homsexual marriage. If that is what you believe will be the outcome, more power to you. But to restrict two consenting adults (18 + within the bounds of our current definition of an adult) from marrying the person they love and wish to build a life with based on the premis that.. "this or that" could open a flood gate for "this or that" is absurd. That argument could be made for ANY change in legislation.. not just gay marriage. I don't think legal age of consent or NAMBLA have anything to do with gay marriage. There is a difference between a pedophile and a gay person.. you can be straight and be a pedophile.. and you can be gay and be a pedophile... being gay or straight.. doesn't make you a pedophile.. and frankly throwing the entire gay issues into a melting pot with pedophiles is very disrepectful and ignorant... Someone who is an educator surely can understand basic logic and reasoning better than this?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,679,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I believe we've already had plenty of slippery slope arguments on this board in regards to homsexual marriage. If that is what you believe will be the outcome, more power to you. But to restrict two consenting adults (18 + within the bounds of our current definition of an adult) from marrying the person they love and wish to build a life with based on the premis that.. "this or that" could open a flood gate for "this or that" is absurd. That argument could be made for ANY change in legislation.. not just gay marriage. I don't think legal age of consent or NAMBLA have anything to do with gay marriage. There is a difference between a pedophile and a gay person.. you can be straight and be a pedophile.. and you can be gay and be a pedophile... being gay or straight.. doesn't make you a pedophile.. and frankly throwing the entire gay issues into a melting pot with pedophiles is very disrepectful and ignorant... Someone who is an educator surely can understand basic logic and reasoning better than this?
Should marriages between brother/sister be legal if both are 18+?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Should marriages between brother/sister be legal if both are 18+?
are they legal now?
gay marriage has never been illegal or legal until gays wished to challenge the vaugeness of the law.. and it wasn't until THEN that gay marriage was made illegal

brother/sister in a straight marriage
is no different than a sister/sister or brother/brother marriage in a gay one
I think both a gay and straight marriage can follow the same legal codes
but nice try

Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,679,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
are they legal now?
gay marriage has never been illegal or legal until gays wished to challenge the vaugeness of the law.. and it wasn't until THEN that gay marriage was made illegal

brother/sister in a straight marriage
is no different than a sister/sister or brother/brother marriage in a gay one
I think both a gay and straight marriage can follow the same legal codes
but nice try
You didn't answer the question. "Yes" or "No." Please pick one.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 PM

756 posts, read 2,001,245 times
Who cares if they want to get married like everyone one so be it.........
then they can feel like the rest of us!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
You didn't answer the question. "Yes" or "No." Please pick one.
theoretically.. I would not want to marry my sister or brother... but if two people who are adults want to do that... then so be it...
its one of those things where I don't agree with it... but It is not my place to tell them they can't if they are adults and I think its kinda gross
afterall ancient societies married each other as brother and sister...to each their own I guess....I don't believe in the government defining love and marriage...I think people can rule their own lives and make their own decisions... and that is good enough for me.. i don't have to agree with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies