Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Is it insulting to minorities to see their lives portrayed so? I don't think so. I'm Black and I never got that memo or that feeling from other Black people. We are happy to be included. We loved the Cosby show. We don't like always being set apart as some kind of people with perennial problems. One Black kid, one White kid and one Asian kid was just how my car looked on the way to the movies this evening. I think you're making a huge assumption.
As a white person, it even offends ME to see TV ads portaying whites as a great deal more affluent and successful as most of us have a right to even aspire to. It struck me that black would feel that even more so. A happy black family being handed the keys to a 2-million dollar Cape Cod in a country club neighborhood with bothof their Escalades in the driveway. I would say "Yeah, right." And it would remind me of WHY that is so unrealistic.

And the fact that you had a multiracial group of children in your car does not translate to an assumption that a white woman would have the same mix in hers. I see McDonalds ads all the time, showing mixed-race groups of friends at the same table. But I don't see that at the REAL McDonalds down the street. Americans segregate themselves into cultural social groups all on their own (at least in all the towns I've ever lived in). The only time I ever see mixed groups in a restaurant is during lunch hour, when mixed co-workers go to lunch together, but that is an externally imposed socialization. It is true that inter-racial dating is now the norm, but I am not convinced that McDonalds ads have contributed to that sentiment.

Perhaps more than insulted, I just resent having a for-profit representation made of my culture which does not reflect reality, but rather represents a salable image. I often watch a TV show and put myself in the place of a
Syrian or a Vietnamese, and ask myself how accurate is this picture of life in America. It is troubling. It is a bifurcated picture, of either what our culture hopes, or what it fears. And the outsider does not know how to separate the two. Perhaps insiders do not, either.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-28-2008 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As a white person, it even offends ME to see TV ads portaying whites as a great deal more affluent and successful as most of us have a right to even aspire to. It struck me that black would feel that even more so. A happy black family being handed the keys to a 2-million dollar Cape Cod in a country club neighborhood with bothof their Escalades in the driveway. I would say "Yeah, right." And it would remind me of WHY that is so unrealistic.

And the fact that you had a multiracial group of children in your car does not translate to an assumption that a white woman would have the same mix in hers. I see McDonalds ads all the time, showing mixed-race groups of friends at the same table. But I don't see that at the REAL McDonalds down the street. Americans segregate themselves into cultural social groups all on their own (at least in all the towns I've ever lived in). The only time I ever see mixed groups in a restaurant is during lunch hour, when mixed co-workers go to lunch together, but that is an externally imposed socialization. It is true that inter-racial dating is now the norm, but I am not convinced that McDonalds ads have contributed to that sentiment.

Perhaps more than insulted, I just resent having a for-profit representation made of my culture which does not reflect reality, but rather represents a salable image. I often watch a TV show and put myself in the place of a
Syrian or a Vietnamese, and ask myself how accurate is this picture of life in America. It is troubling. It is a bifurcated picture, of either what our culture hopes, or what it fears. And the outsider does not know how to separate the two. Perhaps insiders do not, either.

When just the idea of people being prosperous, happy and contented makes you feel unhappy--that is called envy. Envious people tend to hate the good for being the good.
It must be a miserable way to live. You have my condolences.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
It's also the source of "white guilt" which often prompts successful white people to advocate for programs that punish successful people for being successful, among other retarded practices.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:23 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
EXACTLY!!!!

i would never have a problem with an ad that promoted the reality of peoples lives. all groups are economicially, culturally and physcally diverse. those difference should be represented fully. no one should feel bitter about that. when they do, its very... telling.

thanks LSF

Quote:
When just the idea of people being prosperous, happy and contented makes you feel unhappy--that is called envy. Envious people tend to hate the good for being the good.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with people being happy. I have a problem with people from central casting pretending they are happy when there are few real-life circumstances when that would be so, and then foisting it off on the public as typical, in order to sell a product to people who wish they had the money, but don't. It's called Creating False Dreams, and it is a part of the why-we're-in-Iraq syndrome. Our image that we can create a world in which it will be an Iraqi family in that 2-million dollar Cape Cod next to some Sadr-City country club.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,137 times
Quote:

Oh how easily we're offended over nothing.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
well all of balwdin hills and other affluent neighborhoods in LA would be offended that you think they are not real. they are. and black affleunt neighborhoods exists througout the whole country. for you to think so is a bit ignorant. and prejudiced.
its not a false dream. its an attainable reality.

Quote:
I have no problem with people being happy. I have a problem with people from central casting pretending they are happy when there are few real-life circumstances when that would be so, and then foisting it off on the public as typical, in order to sell a product to people who wish they had the money, but don't. It's called Creating False Dreams, and it is a part of the why-we're-in-Iraq syndrome. Our image that we can create a world in which it will be an Iraqi family in that 2-million dollar Cape Cod next to some Sadr-City country club.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Oh how easily we're offended over nothing.

I hope you're referring to the commersial in the OP.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM

53 posts, read 120,359 times
This commercial is obviously not from the US and you would not understand why the comercial is like this unless you are from, lived, or have spent time in the country that this commercial is aired. It is a cultural difference not a racists thing probably.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,137 times
Quote:
I hope you're referring to the commersial in the OP.
Hope away but, don't hold your breath.
It's pretty ridiculous to assume the imaginary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies