Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
Standard for both DoD and DOE clearance requests. They will show you a badge as well as a signed release from the prospective clearance-holder. You have the right to contact the individual first before you speak. Note that anything you say will be available to the individual to read.
Exactly. When I was looking into the aerospace industry (they are all over my area) I learned about the different types of clearance employees need to obtain for each level/position. Mention was made about interviewing neighbors.

It isn't an episode from the Men in Black, for cryin' out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 03:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
I had these folks knock on my door and ask me about my across the street neighbor, who works in the aerospace industry. Later, when I saw my neighbor, I reported this to him and told him " I told them you were a drug dealing communist. That was okay, wasn't it?"

Fortunately he knows my sense of humor, and knew that I was kidding.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:11 PM

286 posts, read 804,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Today I found a card on my front door from USIS that said the following:

A probable acquaintance of yours is being considered for a position deemed sensitive by the Federal Government. Your comments regarding his/her fitness and suitability for such a position would prove valuable and would be greatly appreciated.

On the back of the card someone had written "re: [neighbor's address]"

A couple hours later a man wearing a suit and dark sunglasses knocked on my door - I ignored it.

According to the USIS website they provide the full gamut of investigative research on people:
* Applicant Tracking
* Asset Searches
* Credit Reports
* Criminal Records
* Document Management Solutions
* Driving Records
* Drug and Alcohol Testing and Physical Exams
* Due Diligence
* EEO Solutions
* Field Background Investigations
* Law Enforcement/First Responder Solutions
* Proprietary Databases
* Verifications

And with "500,000 investigations annually", they must have a pretty impressive database on their hands.

"USIS is the largest supplier of background investigations to the federal government." Their biggest client is the Federal Government - so in other words this is Big Brother operating under a different name.

"...physical security and training programs in support of the Government War on Terrorism (GWOT). As a partner, USIS gives you the edge in securing your people, property, programs and information."

Sure. Or are they physically canvassing and methodically cataloging the entire public sector? How do I know my neighbors haven't been questioned similarly, about me, under the guise printed on the card. I don't even know my neighbors, never met them - so why would I tell some stranger about their private life and residence. Furthermore, this only tells me that my neighbor must be joining the Government Club and is no longer just a real person.

I'll be sure to elude the suit at my front door until he gives up, as it is certainly no business of mine to "comment" on my neighbor to some unknown third party. Likewise, I wouldn't want someone "commenting" on my daily comings and goings, who visits my home, that I ride a bicycle every day, or what brand of beer I bring home from the store. Presumably, if I were questioned by USIS about my neighbor, I'd be asked for my ID as well so they could "verify they spoke with me". No thanks.

It starts with an innocent "tell me about your neighbor" visit. But it goes much deeper than that and I'll have no part of it.
The USIS investigates people who have applied for a security clearance, that is it. You are being paranoid about stuff; they are only trying to protect this country, you know, not giving someone access to secret/top secret documents and files that dont need to be. They are not trying to snoop nor gain information like you are saying. They are only concerned about seeing if the person is a threat to the country, which is why they investigate thier neighbors, friends, workers, etc. By not cooperating you could possibly cost him/her a secret clearance.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I would never give information about an acquaintance or neighbot unless
A) the person inquiring addressed me by name, and
B) they first informed that I had a right to refer to the subject for confirmation before answering any questions, and
C) I contacted the subject and got his verification, and
D) I saw the official agency ID of the person inquiring.

This would apply whether the inquiry was made at the front door, or in an e-mail, or on the telephone, or by regular mail.

Can anybody spell "phishing"?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:30 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would never give information about an acquaintance or neighbot unless
A) the person inquiring addressed me by name, and
B) they first informed that I had a right to refer to the subject for confirmation before answering any questions, and
C) I contacted the subject and got his verification, and
D) I saw the official agency ID of the person inquiring.

This would apply whether the inquiry was made at the front door, or in an e-mail, or on the telephone, or by regular mail.

Can anybody spell "phishing"?
Thanks for all the comments, they were exactly what I expected to hear. The above quoted post is very sensible information and I'll keep it in mind if the Suit comes back. Maybe the Suit should go to the corner market and ask the clerk about my neighbor, or go watch him work out at the gym and after he leaves ask all the weight lifters what kind of person he is. Same difference - I'm being asked about someone I've never met, no ties whatsoever other than living on the same street. It just seems like very suspect investigating to me. Count me out.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,828 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments, they were exactly what I expected to hear. The above quoted post is very sensible information and I'll keep it in mind if the Suit comes back. Maybe the Suit should go to the corner market and ask the clerk about my neighbor, or go watch him work out at the gym and after he leaves ask all the weight lifters what kind of person he is. Same difference - I'm being asked about someone I've never met, no ties whatsoever other than living on the same street. It just seems like very suspect investigating to me. Count me out.
Since many Americans know their neighbors personally, I'm sure the USIS is just assuming you know the neighbor, and may be able to offer some background info to help them make their decision whether or not to grant him security clearance.

I don't know my neighbors either, so I understand why you're annoyed that they're bothering you for answers about someone with whom you're not personally familiar, but you're making a big, cynical deal out of something that does not warrant such skepticism, IMO.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 AM

78,364 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
The "suit" is quite probably an ex-soldier...maybe an Iraq vet. They likely make decent money but are by no means rich, and hate wearing a suit as much as anyone that has ever had to wear one. This weekend the guy will probably have a few beers, watch football and play with his kids.

Name calling and imagining dark scenarios of him stalking your neighbor?
Your whole initial premise that it "goes much deeper than that".

I'm not trying to be mean but if you are getting older and these thoughts are becoming more prevalent that you might want to just go have a visit with the doc. My uncle went this route and turned out he had a an early form of dementia that was treatable.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 AM

286 posts, read 804,610 times
Quote:
It seems to me that you just pushed aside everyone elses comment and only took the advice of someone who agreed with your cynical views. People like you are scary.

Do you really think that if the "suit" wanted to get information on you he couldnt? Hell, I could pay $24.95 and get every single piece of information on you..mortgage info, bank accounts, criminal history, education history, work history, etc etc

Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Let the suit in , and tell him you do not know any details at all about the neighbor. First, maybe contact the neighbor and ask if he really appied for a job with the government.
Wait a minute... Is this common-sense or something? Who in their right mind would ever even consider asking their neighbor what this could be about???

Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Here in the Washington DC area, this is such a common occurrence it's hard to ascribe anything sinister to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies