Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times

Advertisements

There was an article in our local Newsday paper months ago about this company and their innovating technology for green energy. It's amazing.. why isn't thisin the press more.. why aren't our politicians focusing on this..

Democrats have it right.. we hsouldn't be focusing on drilling for more oil.. Oil isold school.. old news.. THIS is the future..

Sapphire Energy

THis is where we need to start putting our resources, creating jobs..etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:03 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I've read about that and find it pretty encouraging.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
LOL!

I'm not laughing at the idea, but let's say that we do invest heavily in this, and it really takes off. I'm pretty sure that this company has patents on the processes they use to make this "green crude". So every company that wants to use this technology to manufacture it is going to have to pay a royalty to Sapphire. In ten years, Sapphire becomes the next ExxonMobil, and guess what - the same people who rail against EM today for their "obscene" profits will be going after Sapphire. Oh, the irony!

As for why it's not being widely adopted, I'd guess that cost is a pretty big factor. Their website is pretty thin on information, but it's probably not going to be cheap to get off the ground, and barrel for barrel, it's probably significantly more expensive than regular suck-it-out-of-the-ground crude.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
THis is where we need to start putting our resources, creating jobs..etc.
Elaborate. I want to prove you wrong, but it would be more fun if I had your help.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM

I'm okay with it if they make billions on it. If it gets us off of foreign oil, then they deserve whatever they get.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
LOL!

I'm not laughing at the idea, but let's say that we do invest heavily in this, and it really takes off. I'm pretty sure that this company has patents on the processes they use to make this "green crude". So every company that wants to use this technology to manufacture it is going to have to pay a royalty to Sapphire. In ten years, Sapphire becomes the next ExxonMobil, and guess what - the same people who rail against EM today for their "obscene" profits will be going after Sapphire. Oh, the irony!

As for why it's not being widely adopted, I'd guess that cost is a pretty big factor. Their website is pretty thin on information, but it's probably not going to be cheap to get off the ground, and barrel for barrel, it's probably significantly more expensive than regular suck-it-out-of-the-ground crude.

Well.. rather than make those assumptions and go right to the negative.. lets think for a second.

First.. there is only so much oil on the planet to go around.. part of the problem with the rise of oil prices... and of course it's the fact that , given the amount we consume, we rely heavily on the middle east as well as other places to supply us our oil..

Wouldn't it be nice to know that we DO NOT need to have such an interest in the middle east anymore when we no longer need them to meet our energy needs.. lets face it. .that region is and always will be unstable.. As far as I'm concerned they are all a bunch of loons! We can just let them act like idiots killing each other over nonsense (differences in religion) rather tan send our guys over there to squash their quabbles.

No one has a problem with EM making a profit.. hte problem is that when they are making RECORD PROFITS when the actually item we need is exceeding affordability for middle income families!! Make a profit.. but good god man.. don't rape the people making such profits! Sure.. the price has risen for you.. but trilllions in profits is excessive.. why not leave the oil at an affordable level while still making room from profits ??

It's not the profits that's the problems.. it's the lengths they go to get it.

Sure.. this company will be profitable.. and they'll have a patent.. and in the future that patent will lead to other people finding similar methods and competition.. for an energy source where supply will not be a problem we may actually have affordability..

And lets not forget jobs this and future companies using this will create.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm okay with it if they make billions on it. If it gets us off of foreign oil, then they deserve whatever they get.
Explain how it will get the US off of foreign oil.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Elaborate. I want to prove you wrong, but it would be more fun if I had your help.

I'm not even going to bother with elaborating.. .. you obviously want to keep things status quo.. rather than say look to the future.. you just say "we can't do that" and look to the past..

Which is getting this country nowhere, is leaving us behind the rest of the world.. and destroying us..

Thank god for someone like Obama.. he's the new America.. the one that brings us on top once again..

I bet when the space program was being talked about and thrown around there were a bunch of croonies thinking it would never happen.. and it did!

Move over.. the next generation is coming in and through and will bring this country to greatness once again.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
It is one potential alternative, along with biomass conversion:

Scientists Use Sunlight to Make Fuel From CO2

Sandia's Sunshine to Petrol project to chemically transform carbon dioxide into carbon-neutral liquid fuels - December 5, 2007

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/biomass/pdfs/biomass_program_mypp.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Explain how it will get the US off of foreign oil.
I don't know that it will. I simply said it's encouraging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies