Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times

Advertisements

Since the news media is so excited about the likelyhood that a Black American will soon be our President...when are we going to have an American Indian in that position? If not why not? I certainly think they deserve the position.

Last edited by Bo; 09-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 04:54 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
I think no one deserves anything merely based on their ethnic or racial background. By the way, I support Obama against McCain.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times
Race shouldn't matter.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Eeeeeek! So now affirmative action comes to the presidency. Let's see whether I've got this right. We're talking about our nation's head of state, the person with the final say on issues that affect the well-being of 300 million Americans, the one with his hand on The Button, the individual who represents the U.S. to the world, and we are supposed to decide whom to vote into that position not on the basis of which person we sincerely believe would best perform this vital and complex job, but on the basis of an examination of each candidate's race, with the winner being the person whose race has been represented in the presidency less than the races of the other candidates. Is that what the OP is proposing? Just want to make sure I have this right here.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Hmm, actually I'm wondering whether the OP may not be trying a clever ploy to cause a re-examination of affirmative action. Suggest applying the policy to a job that is vital to have performed at the highest degree of ability, and it compels people to face the reality that maybe they are not really in favor of affirmative action in every case, which then leads them to examine the question of, well, just at what level of employment does it become acceptable. Interesting ploy, using the extreme example to make a point. Kind of like asking people whether they'd like affirmative action or ability to be the factor that determines who becomes the doctor who will one day perform surgery on them, or the pilot who will fly the airplane in which they ride. Very interesting way to approach this.

Last edited by ogre; 08-28-2008 at 10:36 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Since the news media is so excited about the likelyhood that a Black American will soon be our President...when are we going to have an American Indian in that position? If not why not? I certainly think they deserve the position.

Please tell me that you are ineligible to vote. At least please tell me that you don't base your vote on who "deserves" or is entitled to be president. Here's a novel idea, how about voting for the person who is the best for the job regardless of whether or not you think that person, by virtue of race, deserves the job. Honestly, too many people today view the Presidency and the election lightly; as some sort of prolonged season of American Idol rather than an eminently important process of deciding who will 'hired' for a tremendously difficult job.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
One should achieve the presidency on his or her merits. I am as happy as the next person to see Obama as the Democratic nominee (as I support him, and have since the beginning), but ethnicity has nothing to do with my opinions. On a personal level, as a woman, I would love to see a woman as president, however, I do not vote based on ethnicity or gender alone, I vote based on whom I feel best represents the social, political, and economic values I hold.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I agree with ogre and j33. I actually got annoyed tonight, when I heard for the ump-teenth time about the historical nature of Obama's nomination. I thought we were supposed to vote for the best person; I thought we were supposed to transcend race. BTW, I live in metro Denver and am a Democrat, will vote for Obama.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
The whole thing's a joke. Neither McCain or Obama is truly well suited or qualified to be President. Obama is Mulatto and NOT Black. And the way the media is making his race a major issue is disgraceful and an insult to the office of President. Once again, appearances are being promoted over substance.

A guy by the name of Curtis, a Native American, was a VP I believe during the Hoover Administration.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:49 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Eeeeeek! So now affirmative action comes to the presidency. Let's see whether I've got this right. We're talking about our nation's head of state, the person with the final say on issues that affect the well-being of 300 million Americans, the one with his hand on The Button, the individual who represents the U.S. to the world, and we are supposed to decide whom to vote into that position not on the basis of which person we sincerely believe would best perform this vital and complex job, but on the basis of an examination of each candidate's race, with the winner being the person whose race has been represented in the presidency less than the races of the other candidates. Is that what the OP is proposing? Just want to make sure I have this right here.
The OP ( me ) was pointing out the huge hoopla the new media is making about the fact that a black man has been nominated for the Democratic person to be voted in for President.
You apparently read into what I said what you 'though' I said.
Go back and reread the OP.

As for my suggestion that an American Indian be nominated... apparently you have a problem with that ???
My husband is of Cherokee ancestry. I think it would be really nice if the Am. Indians were given as much media coverage as the black. After all they had their land taken away from them. If this angers you, and others, perhaps you are the ones who are racist!

I do not even know what you mean about the "afirmative action" thing..in fact your entire post has nothing to do with what I poasted !

( It looks like you picked an apt posting name. )

And your second post is just as weird !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies