Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against legalization of Marijuana?
Yes 45 73.77%
No 13 21.31%
undecided 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I don't see why yet another vice should be made legal.
It also sets a bad example for children.

As for alcohol, the average person can have one or two drinks without his or her mind being altered. Many people stop by a bar after work to have one or two beers and function just fine. Also, alcohol doesn't contain carcinogens; marijuana does.
As far as a vice being legal goes, marijuana prohibition isn't working. legal or not, tons of marijuana are used each year. It pretty much all boils down to spending billions of dollars and man hours to keep a few people from using it.

As far as kids go it can't be very good for them to have one or both of their parents arrested for nothing else than marijuana use, which does happen. What kind of example does THAT set for kids?

Besides people can say "when" with a pipe just as much they can with a beer. Given that alcohol can lead to health defects just as much, it isn't on any higher of a level of safety and in fact causes more deaths. As far as cancer causing agents, marijuana doesn't have to be smoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:

Probably the best thing I did in my entire life was staying far away from junk like that. I don't need it and neither does anyone else.

you may feel that way,and you may pass laws to reflect that sentiment but it won't stop someone else who chooses to want it and do it.

And while some people like me who did it before learned that they were better off without it but I had to come to that conclusion and nobody.....nobody else who would have told me they don't like it so niether should I would have had a effect on me stopping.

And there are alot.....alot of people out there who smoke yet maintain a normal responsible life to bills,work and family.Not everybody that has a beer or a liquor sometimes is a drunk and not everybody that smokes a joint sometimes is a pothead.

And can anybody site history where a person has robbed,killed or to get some MJ?The only people that do are the smugglers.....why?Because it is illegal.

As far as doing it in public there wiould have to be laws for this so people wouldn't be subjected to it.Same with driving under the influence.

Harder drugs is a more complicated debate but MJ should not be illegal,people should not be going to prison for it.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Interesting... on every message board in which this same subject comes up, when I reply there are at least one-half dozen other posters who can't seem to understand why I am against marijuana!

I don't know how else I can explain it here... I am against it!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Interesting... on every message board in which this same subject comes up, when I reply there are at least one-half dozen other posters who can't seem to understand why I am against marijuana!

It's quite simple...you're against it. And? Many people are not.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:46 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,268 times
I don't have a problem with marijuana. I tried it, didn't like it, stopped using it. I know plenty of people that do use it and they are all good people.

This topic reminds me of a song.

Quote:
Light the match
Burn the flower
Leave behind
All the wrong
Why be sad?
When!
Happiness can be bought for a little more than free
Modern day prohibition
Are we men?
Are we children?
At what age, can I choose, how to live?

The only real drug problem is scoring real good drugs
Haven't we learned our lesson?
The corner store sells finer scotch
But who's got uncut powder?
We just want what is ours
Dignity!
If god created plants and buds that I find and abuse
Then who the **** are you to judge me?
Herojuana by NOFX

Old 09-07-2008, 10:04 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,005 times
Quote:
I don't see why yet another vice should be made legal.
It also sets a bad example for children.

As for alcohol, the average person can have one or two drinks without his or her mind being altered. Many people stop by a bar after work to have one or two beers and function just fine. Also, alcohol doesn't contain carcinogens; marijuana does.
Fleet..buddy, as a member of the health care profession all I have to say is..take a look at all the negative health impacts alcohol imparts on the body. Honestly, it is kinda scary. Also, don't confuse thc with smoke. There are many ways to enjoy thc that doesn't involve joints or a bong.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
I wanting to legalize it doesn't mean I'm for it.I just think,rather know that banning it doesn't do any good other than to waste money trying to be rid of it and bringing more government to nanny people.

And when you look at the propaganda used that banned it and compare it to the truth of using it right there you have to wonder the motives of those that promoted or promote prohibition.

Public awareness will have a larger impact in reducing usage while having it legal rather than keeping it illegal.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
It's quite simple...you're against it. And? Many people are not.
Right. And my opinion on the subject should be accepted just as the opinions of others here are accepted.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Fleet..buddy, as a member of the health care profession all I have to say is..take a look at all the negative health impacts alcohol imparts on the body. Honestly, it is kinda scary. Also, don't confuse thc with smoke. There are many ways to enjoy thc that doesn't involve joints or a bong.
In moderation, alcohol isn't a problem for most people.
Tell about the substance abuse cases in hospitals... aren't the majority of cases due to marijuana?

And I would hardly call using marijuana "enjoyable!"

Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,448 times
Quote:

One of the few things I agree with you on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies