Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I remember during the olympics the chinese were protesting importation of US beef.

We should have been protesting the importation of their poisonous products into the USA at the same time. Cheap junk.
The Chinese directed their protest at Chinese importers, not US producers. Americans are perfectly free to protest American corporations who import goods from China, but how can you hold China to blame for that?

It looks like the media has goaded you into saying US beef going to China is China's fault, and Chinese toys coming to America are China's fault. And China's consumption of energy is China's fault and US consumption of energy is China's fault. No doubt Bristol Palin's failed comdon is China's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Who really cares as long as no one is still not dieing of Mad Cow disease in America? But if you're nevertheless scared then hold those Republicans responsible by voting them out of office.
I have to start with a deconstruction of the opening line:

"Who really cares as long as no one is still not dieing(sic) of Mad Cow disease in America?"

(For as long as no Americans continue to not die of MCD, who really cares?) = (For as long as Americans continue to die of MCD, who really cares?)

I get the gist, but please pay attention in English.

Apart from that, it doesn't sound right that the Fed would put the kabosh on an in depth study. However, the prions that cause mad cow disease have never been found in the muscle tissue of an affected individual. They have only been found in the brain and major nerves. The cattle feeds that led to the proliferation of MCD in Europe contained beef by-products, including brain tissue. Ingesting brain tissue from an infected individual is dangerous. Ingesting a rib-eye from an infected individual (while I would NOT do it) poses considerably less risk and perhaps none at all. The dangerous foods are things like hot dogs, balogne, vienna sausage, head cheese, etc. If it's a cheap sausage, it probably has brain in it.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Just to keep one shelf in my refrigerator stocked, I will need to make regular visits to my (hopefully) local cheese, ketchup, and mayonnaise production facilities to ensure that only safe ingredients and techniques are being employed. A week off from work once a month should cover that.

See, I knew you still wouldnt get it. There's nothing broken in the system as it exists right now. It wouldnt take you a week to go inspect anything. It would take you two seconds to THINK has this product been inspected? If not, make a choice to not buy it, or buy it anyway, since you need something on your shelf. Most things ARE inspected, and have something to note as such on their label someplace. Somethings, as in the case stated by the OP, have had inspections halted or curtailed, in which case you have another decision to make, but the information regarding the change was made available to you. There was no withholding of the fact that the inspection process had changed. YOU must make a decision if the change in the process is enough to prevent you from buying it. In order to do that, you gotta THINK about it.
I never said everyone should be doing their own inspections. I said everyone should use the information that IS there, or perhaps isn't there (information that ISN'T there, a void in the information, can be used as a tool to help make YOUR OWN decision, but only if you can THINK for yourself), to make a decision. Dont know how many other ways to say it.
Just Think, dammit, it aint that hard.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM

Yacht, there is a huge difference between these statements:
`1. Anybody can think
2. Everybody can think.

That's why we have a govermnent. To think collectively on behalf of those who do not. In order to preserve such things as public health and safety.

Anybody can behave in study hall, so there is no need for a monitor. Just behave, dammit, it isn't that hard.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I find a lot of the *protests* against US agricultural products to be disingenous and largely driven by farm groups in other countries trying to protect their markets. You can talk about Korea, China, Japan etc. but the bottom line is that the US is an agricultural powerhouse and those countries have vested interests that don't want the US products in there so they label them as inferior, dangerous etc. This is an old old trick and most countries have done something similar in their histories.

A while back Japan wouldn't import American beef because "Their intestines were different" or import American ski's because thier "snow was different".

Mad Cow is an excuse to violate free-trade pacts without retaliation.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I find a lot of the *protests* against US agricultural products to be disingenous and largely driven by farm groups in other countries trying to protect their markets. You can talk about Korea, China, Japan etc. but the bottom line is that the US is an agricultural powerhouse and those countries have vested interests that don't want the US products in there so they label them as inferior, dangerous etc. This is an old old trick and most countries have done something similar in their histories.

A while back Japan wouldn't import American beef because "Their intestines were different" or import American ski's because thier "snow was different".

Mad Cow is an excuse to violate free-trade pacts without retaliation.
US propaganda

Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 PM

The title to the thread is also misleading. I say Al Qaeda is not a threat, and our costly efforts to combat them are not necessary---but that doesn't mean to say I think Al Qaeda is OK.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:35 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
US propaganda
Source? (This is where you start running)

Yeah, I can't imagine WHY farmers in Korea might object to the import of US beef for anything other than altruistic reasons over quality.

It's well documented that Japans AGRICULTURAL minister in 1987 made the famous "Japanese intestines" statement to try to keep down US imports.

Here is the final nail in the coffin...Japan has huge rice tarriffs....certainly they have no desire but to keep dangerous foreign rice off their tables.
WTO-SPECIAL: Japan’s Rice Farmers, a Dying Breed

Old 09-02-2008, 01:40 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Don't eat the brain or spinal matter, simple as that...

Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Source? (This is where you start running)

Yeah, I can't imagine WHY farmers in Korea might object to the import of US beef for anything other than altruistic reasons over quality.

It's well documented that Japans AGRICULTURAL minister in 1987 made the famous "Japanese intestines" statement to try to keep down US imports.

Here is the final nail in the coffin...Japan has huge rice tarriffs....certainly they have no desire but to keep dangerous foreign rice off their tables.
WTO-SPECIAL: Japan’s Rice Farmers, a Dying Breed
Competition! America slanders opposition as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies