Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times

Advertisements

who says "n/qqerish"?

I thought the term that gentleman used was niqqardly and it's a legitimate term.

But now looking in the urban dictionary I see your term is also used--amongst ghetto types, who I'm sure are mostly white so I can see why the term would cause such angst.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
the whole point i was trying to make is to bring attention to the "phony outrage". there's too much of it. those mentally retarded people who were on the news protesting were put up to it. their outrage was not genuine.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
who says "n/qqerish"?

I thought the term that gentleman used was niqqardly and it's a legitimate term.

But now looking in the urban dictionary I see your term is also used--amongst ghetto types, who I'm sure are mostly white so I can see why the term would cause such angst.
right. nobody says ******ish. it was an attempt to make his/her point seem more grandios.

nobody really says *****rdly in any serious context either.

in the context that the word retard was used in the movie, i dont find it offensive, and even if it is - so what. within the context of the movie, the man was making a point (that while playing the role of a retarded person in a movie is Oscar bait, those who win Oscars never play a person who is profoundly retarded, or as he put it, "full retard." it is always some kind of Savant, so that the audience can relate.) it's actually a good observation. we are really doing ourselves a dis-service by getting all wrapped around the axle over the use of the word retard in any movie. offensive, derogatory words are used in film all the time. ni****, sp**, ki**, nip, bi***, wh***....and that's just American History X. see the problem is that when it comes to comedy...see comedy is a powerful thing. you can say whatever in a drama. but with comedy it's different. see with comedy, if you get people laughing, it's because what you're saying is true. so it's ok to say those words that trigger outrage - as long as nobody's laughing. right?

the problem with the movie Tropic Thunder is that it just generally sucked, and was the worst movie i've ever seen with Ben Stiller...probably not Robert Downey Jr's proudest moment...par for the course with Jack Black. as i said before, it may as well have just been called War Movie, because it was about as smart and funny as a movie like Scary Movie, Teen Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet The Spartans, ect, ect.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:30 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
We all have issues that we are sensitive about - but our being in this politically-correct straight jacket we find ourselves in is largely due to people thinking that they can enforce their way of thinking upon others.

It is perfectly OK for people to be offended by what someone says or does or what is written about or portrayed in a movie. They have a right to voice their objection in a peaceful fashion.

But when they cross the line and try to intimidate or frighten people from saying or thinking a certain way, then they become nothing less than politically correct thought police - and they need to be resisted.

HubbleRules
I agree - it is time people stopped being so offended by everything and thinking that throwing a temper tantrum in response is the way to get their point across and accepted by the other person.

MrBob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies