Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times

Advertisements

so there was a contraversy over this movie over it's use of the word "retard" in one scene.

i saw this on the news. they showed a group of what appeared to be profoundly retarded individuals holding picket signs and chanting something or another in protest to this movie.

as i watched this, i couldnt help but wonder, "now, who put them up to this?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 07:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Dunno. I saw the movie and didn't think a thing about it. It's a movie for pete's sake.
If you object to the content then don't go see it.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,001 times
People desprately try to find **** to criticize these days. All in the name of being Politically correct.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Usually I'm all for being politically correct, but sometimes it's just too funny, as in South Park. I didn't see Tropical Thunder & I most likely will not, I just don't get into films like that. I suppose maybe I should just to see what everyone's talking about.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:32 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,123 times
Ah yes, RetardGate.

I haven't seen Tropic Thunder, but the way I see it: It's a movie, for frik's sake. A comedy spoof, at that. If you don't like it, don't see it. But don't further disparage the mentally handicapped by making such a huge deal about something that was obviously meant in jest, as part of a silly movie.

RetardGate reminds me of all that Mel Gibson nonsense a few years ago, for his Passion of Christ movie. Silly people getting all bent out of shape over something that they are totally free to ignore and not watch.

I mean, honestly, what do people expect from a movie starring Jack Black, Ben Stiller and Robert Downey, Jr. (who, as I understand it, plays a guy who had an race-change operation to change him from a white guy to a black guy)...a low-key drama or period piece?

This is just silly nonsense. These protestors need to find something better to do with their time. Or, at least, something better to protest.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:54 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times
Maybe it is over blown, but does anyone here have skin in this game? Do you have a loved one who is retarded? Maybe if it hit a little closer to the tenders you might sing a slightly different tune.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:35 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Maybe it is over blown, but does anyone here have skin in this game? Do you have a loved one who is retarded? Maybe if it hit a little closer to the tenders you might sing a slightly different tune.
Yeah, that might tend to make a difference. Maybe DreamWorks could just overdub the soundtrack to replace all occurences of the word "retard" with the word "Republican". I wonder if that would sit any better with the populace...

Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
so there was a contraversy over this movie over it's use of the word "retard" in one scene.

i saw this on the news. they showed a group of what appeared to be profoundly retarded individuals holding picket signs and chanting something or another in protest to this movie.

as i watched this, i couldnt help but wonder, "now, who put them up to this?"
Probably a group of liberals.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Probably a group of liberals.
LOL

'Pro-aborts' has an interesting twist to it coming from a whiny RINO.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59274

Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
We all have issues that we are sensitive about - but our being in this politically-correct straight jacket we find ourselves in is largely due to people thinking that they can enforce their way of thinking upon others.

It is perfectly OK for people to be offended by what someone says or does or what is written about or portrayed in a movie. They have a right to voice their objection in a peaceful fashion.

But when they cross the line and try to intimidate or frighten people from saying or thinking a certain way, then they become nothing less than politically correct thought police - and they need to be resisted.

HubbleRules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies