Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Nagin issued two evacuation orders prior to Katrina. The first was voluntary, the second was mandatory. Katrina was upgraded to Category-4 at 2:00 AM on Sunday, and to Category-5 at 7:00 AM on Sunday. The mandatory evacuation order was issued at 9:30 AM on Sunday, twenty-two hours before the storm hit.
Yep. The issue was that people weren't taking the orders seriously and assumed they could survive the storm. When they finally got some sense, it was impossible to get out. I'm glad to see they are letting residents know that the gov't may not be there for you if you don't evacuate. I think they also should have said if you intentionally stay, you forfeit any FEMA or other financial assistance from the gov't related to this storm. People need to wake up, some residents are still staying put. After Katrina, even the hint of a bad storm would have me packing up and out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
He doesnt want to kill looters---thats his entire voting base!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Nagin issued two evacuation orders prior to Katrina. The first was voluntary, the second was mandatory. Katrina was upgraded to Category-4 at 2:00 AM on Sunday, and to Category-5 at 7:00 AM on Sunday. The mandatory evacuation order was issued at 9:30 AM on Sunday, twenty-two hours before the storm hit.

"Nagin estimated that nearly 1 million people had fled the city and its surrounding parishes by Sunday night. Between 20,000 and 25,000 others who remained in the city lined up to take shelter in the Louisiana Superdome, lining up for what authorities warned would be an unpleasant day and a half at minimum."

CNN.com - New Orleans braces for monster hurricane - Aug 28, 2005

Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation but let people stay in the superdome. The evacuation was never mandatory if thousands of people were allowed to stay.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The thing I admire most about America is its shoot-to-kill mania. Who needs due process? Shot-to-kill would be exactly the precedent needed for cops of the future, to shoot to kill and just say "It was raining".

Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Mayor Ray Nagin has said that all looters will be taken directly to the state prison. That is good but I would have done even better. I think he should have said:
Both myself and Governor Jindal have issued an order to the police and National Guard to shoot to kill anybody caught looting or committing any felony criminal offence within the hurricane area. Looters will be shot dead on sight, period.
Thats the Kev I know and like. LOL But looters were not as big an issue as the media made it. The Issue was total mismanagement by state and local gov. This mismanagement caused all support to be delayed, divereted and in some case not used at all.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The thing I admire most about America is its shoot-to-kill mania. Who needs due process? Shot-to-kill would be exactly the precedent needed for cops of the future, to shoot to kill and just say "It was raining".
due process has come to mean let everybody walk.
or punish the innocent for attempts at self defense.
i have had enough. sending NO people to state prison
does not work, that is just a reunite with friends and
family program.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
He doesnt want to kill looters---thats his entire voting base!
Good point, looters are always more likely to vote than the rest of the general population, just like cave hermits and bottles of laquer thinner.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
due process has come to mean let everybody walk.
or punish the innocent for attempts at self defense.
i have had enough. sending NO people to state prison
does not work, that is just a reunite with friends and
family program.

...At tax payers expense.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
"Nagin estimated that nearly 1 million people had fled the city and its surrounding parishes by Sunday night. Between 20,000 and 25,000 others who remained in the city lined up to take shelter in the Louisiana Superdome, lining up for what authorities warned would be an unpleasant day and a half at minimum."
CNN.com - New Orleans braces for monster hurricane - Aug 28, 2005
Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation but let people stay in the superdome. The evacuation was never mandatory if thousands of people were allowed to stay.
The Hurricane Pam exercise in 2004 and follow-ups had indicated that 120,000 residents in and around NOLA had no personal transportation available for use in evacuation. This had been discussed with FEMA in the week before the storm. FEMA was supposed to provide 300 buses to help evacuate these people. They ended up delivering 100...too late. At that, there are some people who will never leave. Often these are the sick and the elderly, but not always. The Superdome and Convention Center sites were designated as last-resort shelters for those who could not or would not comply with the mandatory evacuation order.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
...At tax payers expense.
You're right, I had never thought of that. Due process does come at taxpayer expense.

My conservative friends have a better idea. If somebody commits a crime against you,, don't go whining to the govenrment to prosecute for you, that shows no personal responsibility. The victim ought to pay for aresting and trying and incarcerating the perp. Instead of stealing money from taxpayers to do that for his lazy a$$.

At today's prices, it costs more to keep a felon in prison for four years than to put him through the state university. Let the victim start paying for his own justice.

Maybe then, if the victims had to start paying out of their pocket for criminal justice, they would be more willing to pay instead a little bit to keep the perp out of poverty, so he would be less likely to turn to a life of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies