Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I am not saying that African-Americans weren't discriminated against, I know they were. There is still discrimination going on today, on all sides. Whereever you have diversity you have discrimination in one way or another. Whether it be racial, religious, gender, sexual-orientation.

I am personally not a racist in a general sense, because I pursue no ill-will towards anyone else. But I realize that as long as there is something that divides us, we will be divided. All the hoping it'll go away, is nothing more than fantasy.

Ask yourself, wouldn't you be happier in a world surrounded by people like yourself? Wouldn't you feel more comfortable and safer? Wouldn't you feel more welcome and ultimately happier? This isn't a white thing or a black thing, this is about facing the realities of life.

"If we have to make moral judgements about Thomas Jefferson and slavery. Then we have to understand why it was jefferson was so nervous about the prospects of emancipation. At that point we have to look into our own hearts and ask the question, why is it that racial relationships remain so sensitive for us today.

We can fault Jefferson for not being as optimistic as others have been, but if we are going to continue to argue that race remains the great
unsolved problem of american public life and our private lives as well. Then I also think we should give jefferson some credit for being willing to confront that, in his own heart, and then raise that question for
his fellow citizens.

It is really a judgement about the possibilities of a bi or multi-racial society. Jefferson knew that the creation of a bi-racial society would be difficult. That is not a naive formulation, it is a serious problem."

Stalking the Wild Taboo - Jared Taylor - The Myth of Diversity

"If diversity were a strength people would practice it spontaneously. It wouldn't require constant cheer-leading or expensive lawsuits. If diversity were enriching, people would seek it out. It is in private gatherings not governed by some kind of "civil-rights" law that Americans show just how much strength and enrichment they find in diversity. Such gatherings are usually the very opposite of diverse."

"An occasional glance at a newspaper is all it takes to learn that diversity of the kind that is supposed to benefit the United States is a problem wherever it is found. Every large-scale and intractable blood-letting, be it in the Middle East, Ireland, Burundi, or the former Yugoslavia is due to "diversity," that is to say, people who differ from each other trying to live in the same territory. "
In response to the first paragraph: I am glad we are on the same page that you recognize that injustices were done. Now the question is begged:Why would anyone come up with such ugly policies?

In response to the second paragraph: Call me oversensitive if you will, but I have had a hard time believing otherwise judging by some of your posts.

In response to the second paragraph: I have a different outlook on things. My own quirks and personality isn't widely accepted by many people. I also have a "citizen of the world" view on things, so that is a factor. I have never asked myself that question. I have known I was Black, and I like being around Black people. With that said, culturally and with some of my personality traits, I was often ribbed as "the Black kid who acted White" or "Carlton Banks", and not just by Black kids either. Some kids were surprised to learn that I like Stevie Wonder and other old school R&B groups. I look at myself differently. Sometimes the persons who think like me could be anyone. It could be a White female or an African-American male(and it has often been that way in many cases).

As for the rest of the statement, well, Thomas Jefferson owned slaves and was scared of emancipation. Well, did African slaves ask to come to America to be slaves? No way. They were brought here against their own will, so if anyone has a problems with Black people being in this nation, blame the persons who kidnapped them and brought them to the USA. The Native Americans were already here and the land was stolen from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
FYI,
Europe's population is completely mixed from all type of races.

1) That map is from 500 AD, and a billion things have changed since then. Like the muslims invaded southern spain and much of Southeastern Europe.

2) Other than parts of former Yugoslavia and Turkey. They are all white Christians. It is practically impossible to tell the difference between a Celt and a Saxon by seeing them on the street.

3) Do you not think there are racial problems in Europe even now? Southern darker Italians are seen as inferior to the northern Italians. The same happens in spain, and especially in the Baltic states. Even the white jews returning to Israel don't like the dark skinned jews.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
As for the rest of the statement, well, Thomas Jefferson owned slaves and was scared of emancipation. Well, did African slaves ask to come to America to be slaves? No way. They were brought here against their own will, so if anyone has a problems with Black people being in this nation, blame the persons who kidnapped them and brought them to the USA. The Native Americans were already here and the land was stolen from them.
Thomas Jefferson hated slavery, and he tried to abolish slavery in the colonies before the constitution was ever created. It failed by one vote, when he was the president he abolished the importation of slaves. The problem Jefferson had was, he relied heavily on slavery to live.

It would be similar to a farmer who used illegal immigrants to gather his crops turning around and complaining about illegal immigrants. The way he sees it is, as long as others are using cheap labor, the only way he can compete is by also using cheap labor. Until all companies have to get rid of cheap immigrant labor, it would be stupid to use anything else. Because if you did, you wouldn't be able to compete and you would go out of business.

Yes, slavery is a terrible practice. Did you know there is slavery still being practiced in modern times, even in our own country? Also many Americans were captured off the coast of Africa and forced into slavery in the late 1700's and early 1800's. The jews were enslaved in Egypt by the pharoah in ancient times. Slavery had been a common institution dating back to the beginning of recorded human history. And I am sure at one time my ancestors may have also been slaves.

Even with that said, I feel terrible that we took the slaves out of Africa. I would have rather sent them all back to Liberia, gave them huge amounts of money as restitution, and built up the country and the economy in a way that could give them a good quality of life and set an example for all of Africa. The problem is, Africa is a craphole.

"There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially." - Robert E Lee

Do you want to live in Africa?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-06-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson hated slavery, and he tried to abolish slavery in the colonies before the constitution was ever created. It failed by one vote, when he was the president he abolished the importation of slaves. The problem Jefferson had was, he relied heavily on slavery to live.

It would be similar to a farmer who used illegal immigrants to gather his crops turning around and complaining about illegal immigrants. The way he sees it is, as long as others are using cheap labor, the only way he can compete is by also using cheap labor. Until all companies have to get rid of cheap immigrant labor, it would be stupid to use anything else. Because if you did, you wouldn't be able to compete and you would go out of business.

Yes, slavery is a terrible practice. Did you know there is slavery still being practiced in modern times, even in our own country? Also many Americans were captured off the coast of Africa and forced into slavery in the late 1700's and early 1800's. The jews were enslaved in Egypt by the pharoah in ancient times. Slavery had been a common institution dating back to the beginning of recorded human history. And I am sure at one time my ancestors may have also been slaves.

Even with that said, I feel terrible that we took the slaves out of Africa. I would have rather sent them all back to Liberia, gave them huge amounts of money as restitution, and built up the country and the economy in a way that could give them a good quality of life and set an example for all of Africa. The problem is, Africa is a craphole.

"There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially." - Robert E Lee

Do you want to live in Africa?
Repatriation back to Africa in those days might have worked provided that restitution was given and the economy was built up. Because of human resources being leached out of Africa and natural resources basically being stolen to build up colonial empires, Africa became a craphole. Today, repatriation would not work. I couldn't live in Africa today because of the quality of life is so bad due to the consequences of colonialism and the slave trade. What do you suggest the solution be in this modern era?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Repatriation back to Africa in those days might have worked provided that restitution was given and the economy was built up. Because of human resources being leached out of Africa and natural resources basically being stolen to build up colonial empires, Africa became a craphole. Today, repatriation would not work. I couldn't live in Africa today because of the quality of life is so bad due to the consequences of colonialism and the slave trade. What do you suggest the solution be in this modern era?
No, Africa was always a craphole, and much of it is still a craphole.. well anything south of the Sahara anyway. Most of sub-saharan Africa was hunting with spears when we began colonizing it. The only places that have ever spawned any kind of civilization are along the mediteranean and the nile.

Solution? Like I said, I just think the entire world is better off being segregated. I mean, do we really want half this country filled up with muslims? Do you have any idea what kind of daily war that would be? Racial differences are kind of like that, but not quite as bad. It just feels like a perpetual war between us all, and no one is happy. Its just that everyone knows they are still better off here than somewhere else, so no one wants to leave.

I guess I just dream of a life with less problems. I am just giving up on the idea that "diversity" is something that we can ever have with no or few problems. I hear about racism on a daily basis, and this is 145 years after the civil war. I hear about discrimination, theres the Jesse Jacksons and the Al Sharptons calling foul daily. Theres the constant complaints about the "N" word, calling people crackers and honky's. And I just wonder, why do we live like this? Why are we better off stuck in this broken marriage. Why can't we just have a divorce and go our separate ways? Won't we all be much happier?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
No, Africa was always a craphole, and much of it is still a craphole.. well anything south of the Sahara anyway. Most of sub-saharan Africa was hunting with spears when we began colonizing it. The only places that have ever spawned any kind of civilization are along the mediteranean and the nile.

Solution? Like I said, I just think the entire world is better off being segregated. I mean, do we really want half this country filled up with muslims? Do you have any idea what kind of daily war that would be? Racial differences are kind of like that, but not quite as bad. It just feels like a perpetual war between us all, and no one is happy. Its just that everyone knows they are still better off here than somewhere else, so no one wants to leave.

I guess I just dream of a life with less problems. I am just giving up on the idea that "diversity" is something that we can ever have with no or few problems. I hear about racism on a daily basis, and this is 145 years after the civil war. I hear about discrimination, theres the Jesse Jacksons and the Al Sharptons calling foul daily. Theres the constant complaints about the "N" word, calling people crackers and honky's. And I just wonder, why do we live like this? Why are we better off stuck in this broken marriage. Why can't we just have a divorce and go our separate ways? Won't we all be much happier?
Considering the type of environment there was south of the Sahara desert, the persons living there made it work for them there. One thing I found with colonialism, is that it taught many people something they never knew before, and that is dependence. Being told they couldn't survive without the colonial powers. I think there is a book you should read. It is called Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond. It explains alot of things. Craphole, well, I say Africa is worse off now than it was before colonialism/slave trade. Hunting with spears, huh. Well, considering the resources they had on hand, it worked for them. They weren't worried about having to hunt with spears. They were doing their own thing.

Why are people warring? People fight for resources and have pathologies about control.
I will be blunt with you. Your solution, I don't like it. Your solution implies "One can only live here, no where else". Let the people live wherever they please.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Why are people warring? People fight for resources and have pathologies about control.
I will be blunt with you. Your solution, I don't like it. Your solution implies "One can only live here, no where else". Let the people live wherever they please.[/b]
From a philosophical perspective, those words are beautiful and powerful, and they will definitely be well-received by the masses who believe in absolute freedom of choice, and would despise anyone telling them "who they could love or where they could live".

But do you really find it wise that people who are religiously, culturally, and racially different live within very close-quarters of each other? Do you think its wise for you to move into an all muslim neighborhood as a jew or a Christian? You don't see how that could be a problem? Then when the muslims try to coerce you to leave, you call up the federal government and try to force the muslims to be nice to you, and you don't understand why the muslims not only resent you but also the government?

The world is not fair, and it never will be. There will always be the poor and there will always be the rich, and there will always be people who don't like each other. You cannot wish the problems of the world away.

The people who get along best with each other, are people who are similar in culture, religion, race, and traditions/beliefs. Look at dating sites, they are based around an idea of "compatibility" which almost always focus on these factors.

That isn't to say that some relationships don't cross cultural, religious, racial, or traditional lines. Because obviously we have examples of Asians married to people of other cultures/religions/races/traditions, and we have American blacks who marry people of other cultures/religions/races/traditions. And so on and so forth. The point is, its rare. And in most situations by putting a muslim and a jew together in a relationship is going to have extremely bad results. And interracial relationships in this country have an exceptionally high failure rate, far higher than the failure rate of any single-race relationships.

A vast number of the problems in this country today, come directly from prejudice and discrimination caused by diversity, especially ethnic and cultural diversity. And while I understand that your goal is to "stop racism", how has that worked out for you? Look around this country, look in the cities, look in the country. There is voluntary segregation everywhere. And the sad part is, the vast majority of Americans are completely ignorant of the fact that they are racist.

Americans don't seem to recognize what racism is. Which is the core of the problem. From many polls, almost all Americans believe that racism is a problem, and that almost all Americans are racist. But, a very small number of Americans will actually admit to being racist themselves. Most people don't even understand what racism even is. They don't realize that it is just a belief that races are different. Most people associate racism with hatred towards another race. They don't realize their natural desire to associate with "people like them", voluntarily choosing to work or live in an area with people like themselves, is also an example of racism. The Rodney King beating that led to the LA riots, what do you think that was about? Do you think we are somehow "immune" to that now?

I don't think people want to be racist, you are told all your life that racism is bad, and only ignorant people could ever be racist. But these people don't understand what racism is, and why it is as normal as breathing. It is a part of what makes you human. It lies deeply within your heart of hearts.

I don't see segregation as a means to limit someones freedoms. I see it as a way to address some of the anger and resentment within our society. I mean, what does it matter if people are racist, if there is only one race? The safest and most peaceful countries in the world are extremely homogeneous. The Police in Japan regularly stop anyone they think is a foreigner and ask them for identification, yes, racial profiling is the norm in Japan. But the country is extremely peaceful and safe.

I mean seriously, can you imagine a country without racism or discrimination? Can you imagine never having to hear about some black on white or white on black crimes? Can you imagine not having to hear about illegal immigration all the time? Can you imagine not having the poster-child for welfare as a hispanic or a black woman? Can you imagine not having our kids in school having what amounts to race wars across the country. And no more worry about things like the LA riots. No more blockbusting, no more housing covenants, no more KKK, no more affirmative action, no more diversity police. Can you imagine it?

The alternative is for you and your children to live the rest of their lives in a world with all the above. Even though it is less seen, racism has actually been getting worse and not better. It is especially easy to see in the last year since Obama has gotten elected, and will only get worse. Unless there is an amazing rebound of the economy, I don't see Obama getting elected to a second term. It is impossible. And his failures will not be a positive for racial relations in this country.

2. US Schools are More Segregated Today than in the 1950s | Project Censored

Why do you want to live like this? Is this what you really want? Don't be afraid to speak up about your real feelings. Imagine if this country was entirely black or entirely white. Wouldn't you feel safer, more comfortable, and happier? What could be more important?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-07-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
From a philosophical perspective, those words are beautiful and powerful, and they will definitely be well-received by the masses who believe in absolute freedom of choice, and would despise anyone telling them "who they could love or where they could live".

But do you really find it wise that people who are religiously, culturally, and racially different live within very close-quarters of each other? Do you think its wise for you to move into an all muslim neighborhood as a jew or a Christian? You don't see how that could be a problem? Then when the muslims try to coerce you to leave, you call up the federal government and try to force the muslims to be nice to you, and you don't understand why the muslims not only resent you but also the government?

The world is not fair, and it never will be. There will always be the poor and there will always be the rich, and there will always be people who don't like each other. You cannot wish the problems of the world away.

The people who get along best with each other, are people who are similar in culture, religion, race, and traditions/beliefs. Look at dating sites, they are based around an idea of "compatibility" which almost always focus on these factors.

That isn't to say that some relationships don't cross cultural, religious, racial, or traditional lines. Because obviously we have examples of Asians married to people of other cultures/religions/races/traditions, and we have American blacks who marry people of other cultures/religions/races/traditions. And so on and so forth. The point is, its rare. And in most situations by putting a muslim and a jew together in a relationship is going to have extremely bad results. And interracial relationships in this country have an exceptionally high failure rate, far higher than the failure rate of any single-race relationships.

A vast number of the problems in this country today, come directly from prejudice and discrimination caused by diversity, especially ethnic and cultural diversity. And while I understand that your goal is to "stop racism", how has that worked out for you? Look around this country, look in the cities, look in the country. There is voluntary segregation everywhere. And the sad part is, the vast majority of Americans are completely ignorant of the fact that they are racist.

The problem with America is, they don't seem to recognize what racism is. If you want to understand the problem then you have to recognize that almost all Americans believe that racism is a huge problem, and that almost all Americans are racist. But, a very small number of Americans will actually admit to being racist themselves. Most people don't even understand what racism even is. They don't realize that it is just a belief that races are different. Most people associate racism with hatred towards another race. They don't realize their natural desire to associate with "people like them", voluntarily choosing to work or live in an area with people like themselves, is also an example of racism. The Rodney King beating that led to the LA riots, what do you think that was about? Do you think we are somehow "immune" to that now?

I don't think people want to be racist, you are told all your life that racism is bad, and only ignorant people could ever be racist. But these people don't understand what racism is, and why it is as normal as breathing. It is a part of what makes you human. It lies deeply within your heart of hearts.

I don't see segregation as a means to limit someones freedoms. I see it as a way to address some of the anger and resentment within our society. I mean, what does it matter if people are racist, if there is only one race? The safest and most peaceful countries in the world are extremely homogeneous. The Police in Japan regularly stop anyone they think is a foreigner and ask them for identification, yes, racial profiling is the norm in Japan. But the country is extremely peaceful and safe.

I mean seriously, can you imagine a country without racism or discrimination? Can you imagine never having to hear about some black on white or white on black crimes? Can you imagine not having to hear about illegal immigration all the time? Can you imagine not having the poster-child for welfare as a hispanic or a black woman? Can you imagine not having our kids in school having what amounts to race wars across the country. And no more worry about things like the LA riots. No more blockbusting, no more housing covenants, no more KKK, no more affirmative action, no more diversity police. Can you imagine it?

The alternative is for you and your children to live the rest of their lives in a world with all the above. Even though it is less seen, racism has actually been getting worse and not better. It is especially easy to see in the last year since Obama has gotten elected, and will only get worse. Unless there is an amazing rebound of the economy, I don't see Obama getting elected to a second term. It is impossible. And his failures will not be a positive for racial relations in this country.

2. US Schools are More Segregated Today than in the 1950s | Project Censored

Why do you want to live like this? Is this what you really want? Don't be afraid to speak up about your real feelings. Imagine if this country was entirely black or entirely white. Wouldn't you feel safer, more comfortable, and happier? What could be more important?
That isn't just some philosophy. People legislate things against people different from them because they want to control people, marginalize them, and it has worked alot. The question is begged "Why would you want to marginalize someone."

That is where I view differs. My view isn't "Life isn't fair, live with it". My view is "This isn't fair, try and do something about it".

Sometimes interracial relationships have a high failure rate because of the pressures from society and the persons give up. Many cases, persons in interracial relationships get ostracized and the stress gets to them. There are other factors.

The question still remains as I asked before "Why would you discriminate against someone just for being a different race or ethnicity? What is the point in doing so? How is that suppose to help everyone?"

I understand what racism is. It is more than just name-calling. Discrimination is a part of it. Discriminating against someone for being of a different race or ethnicity is racism. Denying someone a job or housing for being a different race or ethnicity is racism. Believing that you are better than someone else because of race is racism. Treating someone inhumanely because of their race/ethnicity is not just racism, that is bigotry combined with it. All of this is racism and bigotry.

I don't see segregation the same way as you because my ethnicity was the primary target and victim of it. Resentment and anger were building because African-Americans were being treated like crap. As for foreigners being stopped in Japan, how does that help those foreigners? Please explain that.

Personally, I like a diverse crowd, and I do have diverse friends. My living situation is interesting. My roommate is from Sweden, his girlfriend is from Peru, I am African-American(the only American-born person), and my other roommate is Indonesian. We live just fine and it is by choice that we live together. We all have different things, but we respect that in one another and we hang out too. Even if everyone were the same ethnicity, that wouldn't stop the event of rioting. People will find some reason to fight among one another. Light-skinned African-Americans sometimes hate on dark-skinned African-Americans(both of the same ethnicity). People will find something to fight about.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
That isn't just some philosophy. People legislate things against people different from them because they want to control people, marginalize them, and it has worked alot. The question is begged "Why would you want to marginalize someone."

That is where I view differs. My view isn't "Life isn't fair, live with it". My view is "This isn't fair, try and do something about it".
I agree that that there needs to be an effort to make things better. But you have to keep in mind what is and isn't going to be possible. It seems like many people would rather beat their head against a wall because of some crazy idea that defies human nature.

Look at the conservatives who talk about "abstinence only" and refuse to fund sexual education and birth control. They fail to realize that they aren't only dealing with an "idea" that people are promiscuous. They are dealing with raw human emotion and desires. It is impossible to pass a law or policy to suppress it.

Racism is not just some kind of institutionalized idea, it is part of human nature, legislation will always fail at suppressing human emotion. If there was only a racism-control pill? Or maybe racism-abortion clinics?

Quote:
Sometimes interracial relationships have a high failure rate because of the pressures from society and the persons give up. Many cases, persons in interracial relationships get ostracized and the stress gets to them. There are other factors.

The question still remains as I asked before "Why would you discriminate against someone just for being a different race or ethnicity? What is the point in doing so? How is that suppose to help everyone?"

I understand what racism is. It is more than just name-calling. Discrimination is a part of it. Discriminating against someone for being of a different race or ethnicity is racism. Denying someone a job or housing for being a different race or ethnicity is racism. Believing that you are better than someone else because of race is racism. Treating someone inhumanely because of their race/ethnicity is not just racism, that is bigotry combined with it. All of this is racism and bigotry.

I don't see segregation the same way as you because my ethnicity was the primary target and victim of it. Resentment and anger were building because African-Americans were being treated like crap. As for foreigners being stopped in Japan, how does that help those foreigners? Please explain that.

Personally, I like a diverse crowd, and I do have diverse friends. My living situation is interesting. My roommate is from Sweden, his girlfriend is from Peru, I am African-American(the only American-born person), and my other roommate is Indonesian. We live just fine and it is by choice that we live together. We all have different things, but we respect that in one another and we hang out too. Even if everyone were the same ethnicity, that wouldn't stop the event of rioting. People will find some reason to fight among one another. Light-skinned African-Americans sometimes hate on dark-skinned African-Americans(both of the same ethnicity). People will find something to fight about.
People will always find things to fight about, but throwing in race, ethnicity, or even religious beliefs is only going to exasperate the situation further. Do you know what the people who live in homogeneous societies complain about more than anything else? Being bored. Because there is so much stability and similarities in all aspects of their lives. There really is nothing to worry about. Or to even think about. Life is just simple and easy, it becomes almost monotonous from every day seeming so similar to the day before.

But I would trade our constant wars with other countries, our cultural and racial war within our own country, the constant charges of discrimination, and the ever apparent worry of offending others, and all of our other problems if all I ever had to worry about was "being bored."

I don't see why you are opposed to segregation of ethnic groups by country. When I talk about Japan stopping foreigners for identification, I don't think the Japanese care if they "offend" you or not. They want to keep out non-japanese from illegally entering their society. They are a self-proclaimed homogeneous country, and they find multi-culturalist and multi-racial societies to be completely stupid. And don't want all of our problems in their extremely safe and stable country.

Look at segregation like this, 65% of the country is white, 12% is black, and 15% is hispanic. Give every group their "chunk" of the country in a mutally acceptable manner. In that way there wouldn't really seem to be segregation, since your entire country would all be part of a single group. So there could not possibly be discrimination(at least not based on race). We are already segregated from every other country in the world, and only in the past 40 years have we really become focused on being multi-racial or multi-culturalist. Many other countries have very segregationist policies, do you think they are better or worse off for it?

I don't know, it just seems like keeping people separated is just good policy. I have heard before that even in prison, the #1 request inmates make is the desire for racial separation.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-07-2010 at 04:50 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 PM

The best anyone who believes in desegregation can ever hope for is "no change". As in, no increase in violence, crime, or hatred. Becuase it is impossible for desegregation to EVER decrease any of these, it is an absolute certainty.

The people who champion desegregation are living in "la la land", and only talk about segregation as some kind of unfair policy because they think it is unconstitutional. Yet, people tend to ignore the obvious benefits of segregation by limiting interracial violence, race-based gangs, discrimination, and don't seem to grasp the fact that people will still segregate voluntary anyway.

This is Milwaukee, the most racially segregated city in the country.

File:2000census- Black Residential Segregation.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is not some sort of anomaly. That is common across the country, learn about hypersegregation and white flight.

Hypersegregation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The percentage of black children who now go to integrated public schools is at its lowest level since 1968. The words of "American apartheid" have been used in reference to the disparity between white and black schools in America. Those who compare this inequality to apartheid frequently point to unequal funding for predominantly black schools."

"In Chicago, by the academic year 2002-2003, 87 percent of public-school enrollment was black or Hispanic; less than 10 percent of children in the schools were white. In Washington, D.C., 94 percent of children were black or Hispanic; less than 5 percent were white. In St. Louis, 82 percent of the student population were black or Hispanic; in Philadelphia and Cleveland, 79 percent; in Los Angeles, 84 percent, in Detroit, 96 percent; in Baltimore, 89 percent. In New York City, nearly three quarters of the students were black or Hispanic."

This is what a black inmate said about the plan by California to desegregate the prison system.

"Nobody in their right mind wants to see racial tensions [stirred up by this] because if you've got that, people can get hurt, people can get killed," says Gerald Roberts, a black inmate. Racial fights don't break out often, he says, but "it can get major" when they do. The integration plan, he says, will "create a problem where there is none."

People need to start using their brains and stop looking at segregation as some "unfair" policy, but more a policy of protection for society.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-07-2010 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies