Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... yeah, we've been wonderful to the minority community. Anyway, who cares if white people become outnumbered? Who died and made us the "chosen people of the world?"
We're not "chosen", but we USED TO own this country. Now we're handing it over, birth by birth. That's ok, I'll be dead by then and I'm sure my great grand kids will have enough sense to move to another country rather than be persecuted here.

Why do I have a problem with it? Well no, sorry, it's nothing to do with bigotry. I'm just looking at the minority areas of the country now, and the countries the immigrants came from. Honestly, what do you think the United States is going to look like in 150 years? Think about it. Think LONG term. Where are we headed? Do you honestly think we're headed towards some euphoric medley of races living in harmony? lmao. I'm no cross-burner, but I know when things are headed south. It's not their fault, I would want to come here too if I were them.

So, I'll continue to treat everyone as my equal, simply because I was raised to be that way. However, I'm not going to be terribly surprised when things turn out as bad as I think they will.

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 04:07 PM

83 posts, read 326,177 times
Default Are they mistreating you now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I think the point he is trying to make is that it is overdone, and it is. There is far too much "rainbow casting" on television. It's completely unrealistic now. There's even a black guy on "Men in trees" which is in ALASKA!! Quite possibly one of the lowest black populations in the world.

That's not bigotted (although we've seen plenty of that through this thread), that's an observation.

As for the white population shrinking.... We're being outnumbered by immigrants, and minority breeding. White people continually go through life without having children, or only one child, while blacks and hispanics have a much higher average. We're going to be the minority within 150 years. It's a mathematical certainty. The question that remains is will they treat us as nice as we are treating them?

-TT
You have a point...somewhat. I mean we can't stop the breeders..
And whites need to have more children

I'm glad to hear that someone is treating someone nice..

White's need to keep the white race growing and raise children in loving enviroments with no racial and/or minority issues.
But for most people, from what I have been reading in the past few days on this forum, there is still little acceptance of minority people and of different races if your not of their race. I really had no idea this type of ignorance was still around in the new millenium/era. I think that if they are treating you ok now, things wont chnage much when we are the minority. Unless, of coarse people continue to sterotype the minority and then the minority retaliates. Scary, huh?

Old 02-03-2007, 04:23 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Yeah, but does that represent the entire country? No, it doesn't. The POINT was, there is too much "load balancing" of the races on TV and in movies. It's out of control. They are GROSSLY overcompensating. Sure I associate with plenty of different races, but I also know that is NOT the norm for most Americans. I guess what I am trying to say is it would be nice to watch a television show these days that didn't have a hidden agenda. It's annoying, and when I sense it I refuse to watch the show. The same way I would refuse to watch the Robert Townsend show if they started adding token white people that didn't add to the story. It's silly, and a poor attempt to manipulate the viewing public.

...and I'm glad you built up so many points on the libby-meter. Maybe you'll get a free set of steak knives if you befriend an Eskimo, lol. I myself don't seek out minorities to be friends with. We don't consider them a status symbol like you may in your neck of the woods. I just associate with people naturally. Their color or their race is not a factor that influences my decision to say "hello".

-TT
And what makes you assume I'm friends with them because of their race??? This was part of the discussion, so I mentioned what they are... this has no influence on why we're friends, and in fact, is quite the opposite. Sorry, but not everybody has an agenda - even us "evil libbies".

Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
P.S. My ex-boyfriend is part Eskimo...

P.P.S. Do you even know what my political affiliation is, or were you just assuming? And don't say "Liberal", because that's just an abstract term, which can cover a number of political parties/beliefs.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-03-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,589 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that black & white people don't hang out?! My best childhood friend was black, so we had TONS of "mixed-race" sleepovers... it really sad you have such a narrow view of the world.
Your childhood "friend" was black.. not "friends" I see... wow... so you had one black friend? You can really talk..... I mean with all your interracial friendly experiences and all. ..

Old 02-03-2007, 05:01 PM

355 posts, read 842,368 times
Shanda Rhimes, an African-American, is the executive producer and creative executive of Grey's Anatomy. Instead of focusing on the show's, in fact, color-blind casting procedures, you should instead focus on the fact that the show has won numerous Emmys, has been a ratings winner for ABC, and has launched (or re-launced) the careers of several actors all at the hands of an African-American woman. I guess because African-Americans and women don't run successful companies, ABC should find a new, White, male executive producer to oversee and operate the hit television show.

When you consider that a large portion of the U.S. population lives within/near urban settings, its obvious that advertising and entertainment will favor the diversity of those populations. Maybe we should pander to the non-diverse populations in the rural Midwest or South?

Old 02-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
P.S. My ex-boyfriend is part Eskimo...

P.P.S. Do you even know what my political affiliation is, or were you just assuming? And don't say "Liberal", because that's just an abstract term, which can cover a number of political parties/beliefs.
Yeah I know, I can already tell. "Libertarian", right? That's the biggest farce since "New Coke". You're a liberal dem who's label fell off her can honey. I hate to break it to ya.

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Shanda Rhimes, an African-American, is the executive producer and creative executive of Grey's Anatomy. Instead of focusing on the show's, in fact, color-blind casting procedures, you should instead focus on the fact that the show has won numerous Emmys, has been a ratings winner for ABC, and has launched (or re-launced) the careers of several actors all at the hands of an African-American woman. I guess because African-Americans and women don't run successful companies, ABC should find a new, White, male executive producer to oversee and operate the hit television show.

When you consider that a large portion of the U.S. population lives within/near urban settings, its obvious that advertising and entertainment will favor the diversity of those populations. Maybe we should pander to the non-diverse populations in the rural Midwest or South?
COLORBLIND? ROTFLMAO.

How many hospitals in upscale areas do you know of that have a black chief surgeon, with two blacks directly under him in the food chain? lmao. It's a joke, but I let it slide because it keeps the wife quiet for an hour. Of course I'm happy to see positive black role models, but the show is still a joke.

The show clearly has an agenda with race. Have you actually seen it? lol You haven't noticed that the blacks are always "together" and in charge when the whites are wallowing in one bad situation after another? Infidelity, unethical practices, permiscuous behavior, etc. The asian is committed to the black guy, and the chief surgeon refused to have an affair with Grey's white mommy because he was just too good for that, lol. Convenient. Everyone else on the show is a disaster.

Try watching it once or twice.

As for the show being a hit, it is because it's a SOAP OPERA. It's not hard to make a night time drama in a hospital setting and have it succeed. Just about all of them do.

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post

Yeah, that's the ticket. Instead of "Grey's Anatomy" they could have "Saint Olaf's Clinic." They could cast a couple of Swedes, a Norweigen, and an Englishman, and for diversity's sake, someone Irish and someone German. The show should have more of a Christian focus -- no drinking or drugs or pre/extra marital sex. In fact, there should be a focus on abstaining from sex. In the first episode, the plot would concern why a baby was born with red hair when both of the parents are blond. Everyone could dress in camo and go rabbit hunting in their spare time. They could all patronize Mabel's Diner (Mabel would be like Aunt Bea). Attending church together on Sunday could be their "bonding" moment.

I can see this would be a HUGE hit!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:38 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
Quote:
COLORBLIND? ROTFLMAO.

How many hospitals in upscale areas do you know of that have a black chief surgeon, with two blacks directly under him in the food chain? lmao. It's a joke, but I let it slide because it keeps the wife quiet for an hour. Of course I'm happy to see positive black role models, but the show is still a joke.
Here's some information for you from John Hopkin's Hospital and University:
Some of the most renowned African-American surgeons in the world are at Hopkins, including:

Ben Carson, the pediatric neurosurgeon widely known for his operations to end crippling seizures;
cardiac surgeon Levi Watkins, who, in 1980, became the first physician to insert an automatic implantable defibrillator (developed at Hopkins) into a patient;
Claudia Thomas, the first African-American female orthopedic surgeon in the nation,
and trauma surgeon Edward Cornwell, whose efforts on behalf of violence prevention programs have matched his ability to save youthful victims of violence.
Julie Freischlag, appointed chief of the Hopkins Department of Surgery in 2003, is the first woman to serve as a chief of surgery in the elite medical schools of the nation. Last year, 47 Hopkins medical students out of a class of 116 were females; 13 were African-American, 24 were Asian, and 5 were Hispanic.

Who would have thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.