Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:03 AM

27 posts, read 116,720 times

Advertisements

I guess I change my question to... Why are STILL at war??

I understand we invaded Iraq looking for Osama, and then it was Weapons of Mass destruction... So now are we just there for the oil?

They are spending billions of dollars a day on this war.
I was overseas for Desert Shield/Storm, We made the final push. We almost had Sadam and then we back off. I never understood why.

Anyways. This war is bankrupting our country. Now he wants to send 21,000 more troops over there.
I know the US is a superpower but do we really need to police the world?
China's not doing it, Neither is Japan, Russia, France, England.

Nobody else gets involved like the US. The US should be a euthopia, heaven on earth before we start mettling in other countries.

So I say Either Conquer Iraq or Bring our Troops home!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:30 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffydogg View Post
I was overseas for Desert Shield/Storm, We made the final push. We almost had Sadam and then we back off. I never understood why.
You actually answered your own question for this line. The reason the push wasnt made before, so we wouldnt be in the situation we are now. The plan then was simple, protect the neigboring allies we had and get Saddam out of Kuwait. That was done so we went to isolation phase. Why are we there now? You'll have to check the news to see what the White House's new reason is for the war. It keeps changing.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:58 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
A very tired old debate, we've had at least two topics on this just this week. Why don't you go back to that instead of creating a new topic? Or at least put a new spin on it with new angles? PLEASE.

Also don't start a debate by giving untrue facts just to bolster your argument or you will loose your credibility and get shot down real fast! (the US is not spending billions a day on the war, the war is not "bankrupting" our country, our economy is actually doing very well thank you very much, England has military forces in Iraq and Afhiganistan is a NATO project) and I thought the "war for oil" debate ended somewhere back in 2004 when gas prices reached $3 a gallon).

Have no idea what you meant with "the US should be a Ethiopia", maybe that is a fresh topic - Why should the US be a or like Ethiopia?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:27 AM

860 posts, read 1,339,239 times
As you can tell from context, he means utopia. He just spelled/typed incorrectly. I think he labeled his post quite well. If you can read English, as you obviously can, then why don't you do us all a favor and not respond if you don't like the topic? No one forces you to click his post. It's not like he said "I'm giving away money" and then really just talked about the war. People might be really tired of something you like to talk about but maybe they just do the right thing and not converse with you about it. I'M sick of people complaining about what others chose to talk about. And a lot of the times people post new threads because the others are too long. When you get 6+ pages with about 10+ different people talking it can be hard to navigate the whole thing. Exercise some control over what you chose to click, especially when it's clearly labeled as something you've seen before.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
If we pull out now Iran moves in and the whole Mid East goes in the crapper.IF you think 3.00 a gallon sucked wait till they cant get any oil out

Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 AM

27 posts, read 116,720 times
Wow, You just jumped all on me.
1) I didn't see the other post until after I created this one.
2) This is the Politics board, there are pages and pages of the same topics, so why harp on mine?
3)You're right it's not Billions a day, it's only millions.[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/26/AR2006042601601_pf.html[url]
It was $320 Billion in May 2006. The current rate of U.S. expenditure in Iraq is approximately $6.4 billion a month. I may be wrong, but that is still alot of money.
4) Sure, Other countries have troops there, but nowhere near as many as the US.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multinational_force_in_Iraq#Troop_deployment_in_Ir aq_2003-present[url]
5) The word should've been Eutopia... My bad, I misspelled it, But I added the phrase "Heaven on Earth"... You should've picked up on that on.
6) How is our country not bankrupt? We are $4 Trillion in debt, in the red! That's alot of zeros. If I'm $200 in red, then I can't pay my light bill or something else.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
As you can tell from context, he means utopia. He just spelled/typed incorrectly. I think he labeled his post quite well. If you can read English, as you obviously can, then why don't you do us all a favor and not respond if you don't like the topic? No one forces you to click his post. It's not like he said "I'm giving away money" and then really just talked about the war. People might be really tired of something you like to talk about but maybe they just do the right thing and not converse with you about it. I'M sick of people complaining about what others chose to talk about. And a lot of the times people post new threads because the others are too long. When you get 6+ pages with about 10+ different people talking it can be hard to navigate the whole thing. Exercise some control over what you chose to click, especially when it's clearly labeled as something you've seen before.

If you are sick of MY opinions then you can do the equivalent favor and not respond to me, exersize some control there.
How we do contradict ourselves....

Raffydogg - I truly did think you meant Ethiopia and was trying to figure out what you were talking about. I'm not the spelling nazi type, I make enough mistakes. Corrections acknowledged. Sorry I jumped you.

Actually, if I may interject on the subject of duplicate posts - this is a moderator issue. I see too many duplicate posts and off topic posts that diverge from the original subject (and my response itself is probably off topic). We get like 4 topics a week on immigration and another 4 on Iraq, none are really that different and they cover the same ground. A good moderator should close this as a "duplicate" tag and refer to other current topics on the same subject, at the same time if a topic merges too much the moderator should start deleting the hijacked responses. Just my opinion. But who know - maybe free form dialog is best. This could flow into a topic about national debt, or the meaning of utopia, or travel to Ethiopia.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-30-2007 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffydogg View Post
I understand we invaded Iraq looking for Osama
Um, no. Osama was never in Iraq. Even Bush and Cheney, among their many false claims, never claimed that. Osama was believed to be in Afghanistan. He's most likely now in Pakistan.

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. And no matter how many times Fox News infers otherwise, it still won't be true.

You want to know why we are in Iraq? Check out the Project for the New American Century. It's all there. Our government has been usurped by a bunch of loons intent on a global Pax Americana.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Um, no. Osama was never in Iraq. Even Bush and Cheney, among their many false claims, never claimed that. Osama was believed to be in Afghanistan. He's most likely now in Pakistan.

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. And no matter how many times Fox News infers otherwise, it still won't be true.

You want to know why we are in Iraq? Check out the Project for the New American Century. It's all there. Our government has been usurped by a bunch of loons intent on a global Pax Americana.
I'm thinking Bin Laden is in Yemen!! Who knows they, should have taken him when they had, him in the crosshairs and but, no they screwed up!!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
You actually answered your own question for this line. The reason the push wasnt made before, so we wouldnt be in the situation we are now. The plan then was simple, protect the neigboring allies we had and get Saddam out of Kuwait. That was done so we went to isolation phase. Why are we there now? You'll have to check the news to see what the White House's new reason is for the war. It keeps changing.
This is not accurate. We only pushed as far as we did before due to our allies in the area stating they would not help with the war at all if we persued it farther. And several countries stated that They would actually help Saddam if we persued it farther. I'm not 100% positive of what country said what, But they where all middle east countries that steped in and if you google The first gulf war there are articals on it. So it had nothing to do with the reason you stated, This is your opinion NOT the facts that be. You are entitled to your oppinion but please state it as so. PPL are confused enough about the war. To confuse them more with things that are not factual is the medias job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies