Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times

Advertisements

I am against making the vaccine mandatory, mainly because it is so new. I would feel more comfortable with the vaccine if it had been around for 5 - 10 years. Even with all the testing the FDA requires, sometimes we don't find out about bad side effects until a drug has been in use for some time.

I'm really not concerned that getting the vaccine will encourage promiscuity or sexual activity. While HPV is a serious disease, there are so many sexually transmitted diseases (HIV, chlamydia, etc), anyone who feels more comfortable having unprotected sex after getting the vaccine is nuts.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Agreed. This vaccine is not license for promiscuity or for encouraging adolescent females to have intercourse. Did your children recieve the Hepatitis B vaccine? That's a blood borne disease seen in addicts - are your children now addicted? Let me clue y'all in about something - little girls (and boys!) are having sex - if not vaginal then oral. Get your heads out of the sand and TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN!
"..... but I think it should be my decision WHEN my daughter gets this vaccine........." Just like it will be your decision when she becomes sexually active?
Your right about talking to your children and I do!! My daughter and I have already had the sex talk. I didn't tell her not to have sex....I simply told her when she feels like she is going down that road...to come and talk to me. I've already told her I'm not going to try and talk her out of it ...but that there are things she needs to know first. Right now she swears she and her friends are going to remain virgins until they are married.....however...I know this may change and I will have a very in tune watchful eye!! Trust me. I think I know "the signs"...I've gone through those years myself. Luckily my daughter and I are very close....we trust each other. I know not everyone has this .......my main issue is that it's a new vaccine and how do I know it won't create bad side effects later. 12 years old is just a little too soon in my opinion!
I'll probably get slammed for this ....but I plan on putting my daughter on the pill...if and when she becomes sexually active.....and teaching her about protection. In a few years ....maybe the vaccine too.....just not 12. I can see me taking her to the DR. to get the shot. "What's it for Mom?" "Oh it's in case you have sex and get a sexually transmitted disease." She would be mortified....

Old 02-03-2007, 01:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Do you have a daughter?
Look at the post - My daughter is 30 and an adult. Why? Does that make my opinion more credible? I am a healthcare provider by profession. Does that carry more weight?

Last edited by mm_mary73; 02-03-2007 at 01:53 PM..

Old 02-03-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
... I can see me taking her to the DR. to get the shot. "What's it for Mom?" "Oh it's in case you have sex and get a sexually transmitted disease." She would be mortified....
I don't know of any healthcare provider that would do this without her consent. Birth control does NOT prevent STDs.

Last edited by mm_mary73; 02-03-2007 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-03-2007, 02:00 PM

I would suggest that people read up on Human Papillomavirus - HPV

www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm
www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/stdhpv.htm
www.thehpvtest.com

These sites are "hot" and should help with understanding this disease.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:27 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
I have a friend that dies for cervical cancer at 29, she had contracted HPV at 14 her loss was devistating. I have a daughter and yes she will get the shot and go on birth control. Probably at 13 or so. I had my son at 17, I was taught abstinesce (sp) drilled into me in fact. I was a good girl never got into drugs or drinking, but thought I loved a guy and got talked into sex, well along came my son 11 days after my 17th Bday. Peer presure is a real issue, especially now, friends and wanting to have them and fit in is a reality.I wont lose my daughter to a potentially deadly disease because I didnt felt she was not old enough to have sex, or didnt think she thought about it. It is very unfortunate, but a reality.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I don't know of any healthcare provider that would do this without her consent. Birth control does NOT prevent STDs.
I was talking about the vaccine shot!!

Well of course it would be with her consent (birth control)...give me a break!!! I'm 37 years old...I'm aware that birth control doesn't prevent STD's.......but condoms do...which is another conversation we will have. I'd consider the vaccine too....after it's been around awhile. Of course I would want her to be protected. I hope and pray she decides to wait though that would be the best. I just don't think people get anywhere with there kids just telling them "dont have sex!!" You have to talk to them like adults, and leave no stone unturned. So far my daughter has come to me with everything...and she was totally apalled that her friends 14 year old sister became pregnant last year. She had the opportunity to see how rough it was for that girl. The parents and the girl decided to give it up for adoption after bringing it home for a couple of months. I really think that had a lasting impression on her. Some of the other moms in the neighborhood wouldn't let their daughters go over to this girls house anymore. I thought it was stupid...what are they going to learn by hiding this reality from them?

Old 02-03-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Look at the post - My daughter is 30 and an adult. Why? Does that make my opinion more credible? I am a healthcare provider by profession. Does that carry more weight?
You are? Great!! Give us some more info? How long has it been tested?

Old 02-03-2007, 03:42 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
You bet your tail I would get this shot for my daughter. I also think it should be voluntary. No person should be without a choice. I too have been touched in many ways by this disease, I do know that 3 out of 5 women I am close to have had experiences with it in one form or another. Until recently, women were diagnosed with "cervical dysplasia" (sp) and were given NO information that it was caused by an STD. These women had their surgeries and sent on down the road to spread it around some more. Unknowingly, of course. People DIE from this disease. I welcome this new information and give thanks that the vaccine is available.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:20 PM

31 posts, read 101,966 times
Just so you know, nothing is 'mandatory'. I live in Calif, here it is 'mandatory' to get the chicken pox vaccine. I refuse. All you have to do is sign a paper at the school informing them you are aware of the risks but do not have your child vaccinated for personal reasons. A friend of mine, has a daughter who has severe handicap from the DPT vaccine and now refuses all vaccines for her and informed me of our rights as parents. I have a 13 year old daughter and am aware of the risks of HPV, however, I don't have enough information on the vaccine to make an informed decision at this time, and am also cautious of new vaccines. What if there are unknown side effects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies