U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 AM

1,572 posts, read 3,804,539 times

Advertisements

Not a week goes by that I don't hear at least one or two people make some kind of bigoted anti-Muslim or anti-Arab statement in real life, off the computer. I'm not a Muslim but I think it's sad that in the US this kind of behavior is acceptable. I blame the right wing of the Republican party, too, because they are the ones feeding this rhetoric.

They always emphasize the middle name of Barak Obama... "Barack Hussein Obama". "McCain not Hussein", etc. It's all incredibly shallow and bigoted. Or they will mock things they don't understand, such as traditional Muslim or Arab dress or customs. It is beyond the pale now days to talk about "watermelon" and "African-American" together, so why do so many people continue to use Muslims and Arabs as the butt of jokes?

I think Republicans should repudiate this behavior if they have any conscience at all. They need to own up to their anti-Muslim rhetoric.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 AM

8,973 posts, read 15,412,687 times
Good topic....but not as simple as just 'prejudice'. Arabs have been part of America for decades....(Danny Thomas, Jamie Farr, Casey Kasem, Vic Tayback, and myriad others, many in public life), and GENERALLY have been well-liked. Most of these people, however, were Christians..or simply non-religious.

Today, there is a significant movement in the Muslim world bent on destroying all things western....and an unwillingness, or an inability, for the REST of the Muslim community to convincingly disavow that thinking.

In short, America has very little experience with the Muslim religion, up until relatively recent times...and now, much of the experience we DO have is disturbing at best. To me, it's not TOO surprising that there is a certain amount of negative 'vibe' out there in society. After all, American society, like all others, is comprised of groups of varying degrees of sophistication.

I think if you compare the 'prejudice' in American society with that of other societies around the world, we don't look too bad....we're trying to be an all-inclusive, non-judgemental society here, and there are going to be a few 'bumps in the road'.

Perhaps the Muslim community might help, by making more of an effort to disavow the 'bad guys' in their midst...whether this would solve the problem altogether, I can't say..but surely it would help. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 AM

12,787 posts, read 18,626,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Not a week goes by that I don't hear at least one or two people make some kind of bigoted anti-Muslim or anti-Arab statement in real life, off the computer. I'm not a Muslim but I think it's sad that in the US this kind of behavior is acceptable. I blame the right wing of the Republican party, too, because they are the ones feeding this rhetoric.

They always emphasize the middle name of Barak Obama... "Barack Hussein Obama". "McCain not Hussein", etc. It's all incredibly shallow and bigoted. Or they will mock things they don't understand, such as traditional Muslim or Arab dress or customs. It is beyond the pale now days to talk about "watermelon" and "African-American" together, so why do so many people continue to use Muslims and Arabs as the butt of jokes?

I think Republicans should repudiate this behavior if they have any conscience at all. They need to own up to their anti-Muslim rhetoric.
Rather convenient that you seem to have forgotten that many Democrats joined the anti-Arab frenzy that was the controversy over DP World/Dubai Ports. Chuck Schumer (D-New York) was right there on the front lines ever before the GOP got involved.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:01 PM

3,454 posts, read 6,861,057 times
Well said, Mac--

Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,601,295 times
Americans believe that Atheists are also incapable of harboring any moral sense of right and wrong, but at least, they do not accuse Atheist of trying to kill them, and reply with pre-emptive genocide against that eventuality.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,291,297 times
Another Intelligent Post by Mac.Give ya Rep if i could...

Old 09-04-2008, 12:20 PM

26,863 posts, read 42,070,444 times
palin calls McCain....John S McCain and why is Barrack Hussein Obama so ashamed of his middle name....? makes you wonder!

Nobody has anything against muslims...but a lot against radical muslims and the once who blow themself up and wish dead on others....which are millions of muslims!!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM

3,336 posts, read 4,726,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good topic....but not as simple as just 'prejudice'. Arabs have been part of America for decades....(Danny Thomas, Jamie Farr, Casey Kasem, Vic Tayback, and myriad others, many in public life), and GENERALLY have been well-liked. Most of these people, however, were Christians..or simply non-religious.

Today, there is a significant movement in the Muslim world bent on destroying all things western....and an unwillingness, or an inability, for the REST of the Muslim community to convincingly disavow that thinking.

In short, America has very little experience with the Muslim religion, up until relatively recent times...and now, much of the experience we DO have is disturbing at best. To me, it's not TOO surprising that there is a certain amount of negative 'vibe' out there in society. After all, American society, like all others, is comprised of groups of varying degrees of sophistication.

I think if you compare the 'prejudice' in American society with that of other societies around the world, we don't look too bad....we're trying to be an all-inclusive, non-judgemental society here, and there are going to be a few 'bumps in the road'.

Perhaps the Muslim community might help, by making more of an effort to disavow the 'bad guys' in their midst...whether this would solve the problem altogether, I can't say..but surely it would help. Just a suggestion.
Excellent post and you hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post

Maybe the Republicans will repudiate this "behavior" when the Democrats stop demonizing Christianity.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Why didin't Obama get his picture taken with the two Muslim women wearing headscarves at Joe Louis Arena a few weeks ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies