Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,404 times

Advertisements

TnHillTopper - I think the idea of Dutch intelligence was funny - no harm meant to you. You are correct, google yeilds a lot of links to the story. But, the real point is that even the US intelligence, with all its resources, can be wrong. It is highly unlikely that a warmongering nation like Holland would be funding its intelligence enough to get a hold of such stories . It can happen, but it is unlikely - the National Enquirer can get a good story (Edwards) once in a while. I certainly hope this story is not true and there is more thought employed by our leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:38 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I would have to agree, wading in and slinging our six shooters in the air has been working a lot better so far...

There was a time when Cuba was a nuclear threat to the US and we were all fortunate enough to get out of it alive. Of course we didn't use any negotiation to do it, we just puffed up and beat our chest and in the end the whole world saw that ours was that much bigger

There actually was negotiation involved concerning US missile sites in Turkey.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
i am hoping not. but i think DOD/GOP wants to stay they like the white house, they are getting fed well there and wana stay. the beast is back. vietnam with sand.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I really don't think so. I think Bush is going to try to stay out of the spotlight for the next several months. I get the feeling he's just ready to "retire" to his ranch in Texas and be done with it.
Consider another plan:

Bush employs low-yield nuclear device in Iran, and then says "Folks, for the first time in world history, there is a nookular conflict in progress. This is not a time to be streaming the flow in mid horses. I'm suspending the federal elections until every American is safe to go to the mall.. And I get to say when that is, cuz I'm the decider (smirk)" The same people that authorized him to bomb Iraq will line up behind him again, in recognition of the stage-managed fear felt by their constituents.

I'm rather surprised he did not, a year of so ago, persuade Cheney to resign, and appoint a VP (like Jeb) would be able to run this November as the incumbent, with White House experience and a record already in place.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,196 times
Jeb would be great...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,333 times
Thanks TnHillTopper for the lead and for a very thoughtful thread. I wish I could say I was shocked or even surprised, but my suspicion is that this administration will do whatever possible to not upset the gravy train. The millions of lives lost, American or otherwise, they could very well see as just the cost of doing business. And with America ensnared in another war, on yet another front, (that's 3 and counting), how could anyone think to cast their vote in November for anyone other than the war hero, especially when we could be on the brink of the third world war? Third, and no more counting will be necessary.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
De Telegraaf is indeed one of the largest papers but far from the serious taken news papers, fun to read though......

They are also famous for their gossip part.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:23 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
Ok, from a variety of sources I'm starting to see a pattern emerge, a buzz if you will, concerning the urgency of attacking Iran before the Bush administration is out of office. This is something that the Bush administration's foreign policy chief architect Paul Wolfowitz has so stated and confirmed by Gen. Wesley Clark.

Quote:
Clark told me how he learned of a secret war scheme within the Bush Administration, of which Iraq was just one piece. Shortly after 9/11, Clark visited the Pentagon, where a 3-star general confided that Rumsfeld's team planned to use the 9/11 attacks as a pretext for going to war against Iraq. Clark said, "Rather than searching for a solution to a problem, they had the solution, and their difficulty was to make it appear as though it were in response to the problem." Clark was told that the Bush team, unable or unwilling to fight the actual terrorists responsible for 9/11, had devised a 5-year plan to topple the regimes in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Iran, and Sudan.
Source: The New Yorker magazine, "Gen. Clark's Battles" Nov 17, 2003

Also
Quote:
General Wesley Clark reports in his book Winning Modern Wars being told by a friend in the Pentagon in November 2001 that the list of governments that Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz planned to overthrow included Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Sudan, and Somalia. Clark writes that the list also included Lebanon.

Journalist Gareth Porter reported in May 2008 asking Feith at a public event which of the six regimes on the Clark list were included in the Rumsfeld paper, to which Feith replied, "All of them."
In addition, one only has to look back over the past 5-6 years to see the Bush administrations position on Iran, even to the extent of condemning our own intelligence agencies NIE on Iran.

The desire to attack Iran is as red meat as it comes.

Once one has the desire to do something, then the next logical step would be the reason or rationale for acting upon ones desire or so it is to be told to the American public at least. The reason now is, Iran is claimed to be developing nuclear weapons, or at least can be proven is that they desire to possess nuclear weapons.

So we have the desire to do something and the rationale for doing something, now it comes down to how to do this and make it happen.

Israel has shown in the past it has no regard for national boundaries as it routinely overflies Lebanon, Syria, and when it attacked the nuclear power plant in Iraq, it had no qualms about violating the airspace of Jordan to get there. However, there is that whole problem with distance to target and refueling military planes between Israel and Iran would be tantamount to suicide. So another location would be needed that was within range of doing this.

In this case the next logical place (while not the only one) would be Georgia. Saakashvili has publicly stated quite openly that Georgia is the "Israel of the Caucuses" and judging by the level of cooperation, funding, and transfer of military expertise and technology, not to mention equipment, it would indicate that Georgia was a player in this game.

In fact in the following piece from United Press International we have this

Quote:
Israel began selling arms to Georgia seven years ago. U.S. grants facilitated these purchases. From Israel came former minister and former Tel Aviv Mayor Roni Milo, representing Elbit Systems, and his brother Shlomo, former director general of Military Industries. Israeli UAV spy drones, made by Elbit Maarahot Systems, conducted recon flights over southern Russia, as well as into nearby Iran.

In a secret agreement between Israel and Georgia, two military airfields in southern Georgia had been earmarked for the use of Israeli fighter-bombers in the event of pre-emptive attacks against Iranian nuclear installations. This would sharply reduce the distance Israeli fighter-bombers would have to fly to hit targets in Iran. And to reach Georgian airstrips, the Israeli air force would fly over Turkey.
Commentary: Israel of the Caucasus - Middle East Times
Additionally, if you note that the United States taxpayer has already been funding this adventure by way of US foreign aid to Israel being transferred to Georgia. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside doesn't it.

Also note, that tonight, Wolf Blitzer will be discussing this very thing in case anyone is remotely interested.

So now we have in place the desire, the rationale, and the means in place. All that is left is for them to act on it. I for one hope that wiser and deeper thinking heads will prevail in this.

Now, I have no problem with folks desire to dismiss things because a source doesn't meet their criteria, but I do have a problem with folks dismissing it without providing evidence to the contrary. Saying something isn't so doesn't necessarily mean it is, unless of course you have the credentials or some deeper experience. In any event, I hope I am completely off base and off my rocker, but by the evidence I have found by doing a bit of reading and a little research, I believe this is a situation of some concern.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
There is this from the Jerusalem Post out of Israel.

Dutch intel: US to strike Iran in coming weeks | Iran news | Jerusalem Post

It goes on to mention that apparently this strike was to use unmanned aircraft. How either the Dutch or the Israelis knew this is beyond me but be that as it may. Remember all those unmanned drones that were destroyed or captured in Georgia recently?

How could Georgia be related to Iran, well Justin Raimondo did an interesting piece on it that was mentioned in the American Conservative magazine.

September Surprise- by Justin Raimondo

Apparently the problem is that Israeli jets couldn't make a strike on Iran without refueling and needed Saakashvili's airfields to carry out the strike.

So maybe Iran and the Georgian conflict are so closely tied from an operational standpoint, that the need to attack now more so than later, is emphasized. Could an attack on Iran be the Bush administrations last hoorah?
I suggest you take up reading comic books, the information is far more accurate than your sources.... You keep coming up with nonsense to rile the troops. Post all the false crap you can, you are still going to lose in November....

Old 09-05-2008, 04:35 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I suggest you take up reading comic books, the information is far more accurate than your sources.... You keep coming up with nonsense to rile the troops. Post all the false crap you can, you are still going to lose in November....
Aside from not addressing the topic, what the heck do you mean my side is going to lose in November? You must mistake me for a Democrat.

Please show me YOUR far superior sources that refute these assertions, then we can talk. Until then, you have even less weight in this argument than a Danish tabloid.

In the meantime, I think I'll stick with Gen Wesley Clark, Paul Wolfowitz, the Jerusalem Post, The Washington Post, United Press International, and even De Telegraaf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies