Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,311,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, it is for ALL Americans to celebrate... but the original founding fathers were all white, as were most Americans at that time. So technically speaking, it is celebrating "white culture" and people - right?
no it is not celebrating "white "culture or the people.It is celebrating the--> ideals and principles<-- in the Declaration of Independence,Bill of Rights.Which may not have come for all people at once,but set in motion for all civil rights.....actually the right to life liberty and pursuit of happiness given by God.Want to beileve that rights dont come from a higher power,then you'll be a slave yourself...to the government or tyranny of the masses.

It is true that their were blacks who fought in the revolution,on both sides.

I dont mind black history month,or whatever.Or spanish history or whatever cultural history.What I do mind is when schools don't teach or waterdown teaching American history to include the Bill of Rights,which brings a cause for all Americans to be as one.American is a culture also.

E Pluribus Unum

The American revolution is inspiring,while it wasn't a single person who won the war,at times the character and actions of a single person won it.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,728,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Are you joking? Or serious? Your posts are usually laughable--this has to be your wacky sense of racial humor.

Certainly no one in their right mind would equate that pastor to a democratically-elected leader of the free world.

It's time the color of one's skin stopped mattering more than the content of their character. Black isn't a culture, it's a skin color. White isn't a culture, it's a skin color too. Celebrating Black history Month is a racist practice. Shame on you for supporting it.
Shame on you for not supporting it. And obviously you're not understanding my posts, which is probably why they amuse you... the "equality" I referred to was that we get ONE day off for a WHITE person, and ONE day for a BLACK person. As a teacher, surely you know that one equals one! I notice you avoided responding to the other comments, about how you are wrong on whether President's Day is observed...

P.S. In my opinion, MLK did as much if not more than most of our Presidents - and I really don't care what you think about that.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,618,452 times
I think we have way to many holidays, I think the governemnt just likes having alot of days off. Me it would be Christmas, 4th of July and Thanksgiving and maybe an Elvis day! Just kidding on that one.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 PM

702 posts, read 2,519,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Are you joking? Or serious? Your posts are usually laughable--this has to be your wacky sense of racial humor.

Certainly no one in their right mind would equate that pastor to a democratically-elected leader of the free world.

It's time the color of one's skin stopped mattering more than the content of their character. Black isn't a culture, it's a skin color. White isn't a culture, it's a skin color too. Celebrating Black history Month is a racist practice. Shame on you for supporting it.
Let's see...can you explain how the designation of February as Black History Month has caused you to feel that your race (i don't know what it is) is inferior? Has BHM caused you to feel discriminated against? It would have to meet one of those two requirements to actually be racism.

You might want to think hard about that before you answer. I know in my case being a white male has allowed me practically every advantage know to man, and most of the advantages go unnoticed because I take certain things for granted...things that someone of another race doesn't. As a white male I have access to most places without any questionor concern. In talking with friends who are black I've heard several stories about racial profiling from law enforcement. That's something I will never have to worry about experiencing, so there's an advantage I hadn't even realized until this minute. I know that I have dozens of "givens" in life because of my race, and in light of that I can't see how a month of focus on famous black Americans is hurting me or my race in any way. I don't feel discrimination or inferiority. The contributions to society are exactly that and should be recognized as such, especially since most of these contributions were largely ignored until recently.

You could honestly ignore BHM, as I'm sure some people do, but if you're a teacher you can't ignore...and good thing you can't because teachers are not meant to teach their beliefs and prejudices, but to present information in an objective manner. I wonder why someone with your intelligence (judging from your writing skills) and education can't see his way to simply embracing an issue such as BHM rather than fighting a lost cause. You won't be seeing social issues like this disappear because as a country we can't regress by removing rights minorities have fought for or by taking away social progress/like BHM. It's much more fun and positive to accept and get into it than to hold that grudge inside and be angry/bitter over it. It sure does free up some emotions and lifts you to a different level when you can love rather than hate. Hate is heavy; it eats you up inside and you end up bitter and mean. It's a much better feeling to be in a position to embrace rather than reject, and BHM is actually fun from a teaching standpoint. I wish you would give it a try. I'm concerned about you...

Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. In my opinion, MLK did as much if not more than most of our Presidents - and I really don't care what you think about that.

Very true...I can't think of a president who worked as diligently as MLK did and was as passionate, and who also risked then gave his life for that cause. Geo Washington did fight in the revolution, but he just doesn't look passionate. MLK is certainly discussed more than any of our past presidents, maybe not as much as the current one but insanity does attract attention...especially when you aren't ashamed of it. Bush sits it right out on the front porch!! So I agree, MLK brought at least as much social reform as our presidents, and all without the power of the office. He's still bringing it 40years after his death. Bring it!

Old 02-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,690,066 times
Stop personal attacks. Stay on topic. Please.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Stop personal attacks. Stay on topic. Please.
Who is this scolding meant for please?

Old 02-08-2007, 05:54 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,656,642 times
When I lived in San Fran, I knew guys who would bend over backwards apologizing for being white, hetero, male, and whatever else the Great Aggrieved Masses think it's bad to be. I also had several people belonging to these groups comment to me privately that the whole business made them vaguely ill.

Now, we have aggrieved white people. Heh.

You know that old saying, I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused?

Old 02-08-2007, 06:12 PM

You're better off being amused...being disgusted just leads to angry, bitter, alone ('cause nobody can stand being around you), then finally...celibacy.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:01 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,656,642 times
Making a stink about Black History Month just encourages them.

Doesn't bother me. All this foo-fraw over it is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies