Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:55 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
my apoligies gizmo,it flew over my head Actually it did darn on me that it might have been with some humor in mind but passionately I replied.
No problemo... it's often tough to read "emotions" on a computer! Though I was halfway serious, about the fact that plenty of white men are celebrated in this country - but obviously the 4th of July celebrates EVERY American.

Quote:
I enjoy conversations like this,and with all the things that are constantly pointed out that seperates Americans and the differences,I like to try to point out or convince things that will make the people have something feel as one.It shouldn't take a Pearl Harbor or 9/11 to bring Americans spirit closer.

I have a friend who's opposite of me in most political and spiritual beliefs,while we have spirited debates and sometimes I feel like arghh!!! over the differences,it always ends with a smile,and besides any differences in views in the end I'd bend over backwards for my friend.
I too enjoy a healthy debate, as long as it's kept civil and mature... which some people have a problem with, LOL. While most of my friends have similar beliefs to mine, we're not all the same, but are still able to "argue" without hurting our friendship. That's what makes America a great place, that we're free to discuss these issues... and usually without breaking out into huge fights as a result!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:59 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Thankfully February is the shortest month of the year. It's once again time for... tada.... black history month!

Yeah, we get to have the same black history shoved down our throats each February over and over. It's always the same. They glorify the same people over and over, try like mad to find new black people doing something good (and often times with what they come up with it looks like a hard task), and have snippets of of great moments in black history on television.

I ask you, where is the white history month? I'd love to see snippets of white history, a month called white history where we can celebrate in the streets, etc.

Could you imagine, white people getting to celebrate their heritage? People would be sued! Celebrate those white people throughout history that have helped shape this great nation? We white people are not allowed to do anything that excludes another race. But others are allowed to exclude us all they want.

My point is that it wouldn't be allowed. White people are not allowed to celebrate their history and be proud to be white and have a month for them. Nope. Because it doesn't include blacks or other minorities.

And please, don't start telling me that white history is everyday and taught in schools all the time. I spent two years teaching in schools and if you haven't been in schools recently you are out of touch with what is being taught. Black history is being taught in a big way in schools now, and not just in February. So that is simply not true. Kids learn black history all year long and then each February get an even more in-depth lesson on it. Yes, while the populaton is 80 percent white, the kids get black history shoved down their throats.

What's wrong with this picture? A lot.

You're really ignorant, and selfish. Quit complaining about something you don't have. If there wasn't a Black History month, you wouldn't even take the time to learn about Black History. It's easy to name 20 influential white people, but can you do the same with black people so easily?

Sorry to say, but you learn about white people every day. I'm a student, and I doubt anyone even knows it's Black History Month (at my school, at least). It was created as a way to eliminate some stereotypes about black people, IMO. If you didn't have black history month, majority of the population wouldn't know that black people created peanut butter, the traffic light, or even that an African American woman was the first millionaire in this country. I doubt even people know that to this day, but even less people would know if it wasn't for black history month.

White people celebrate their heritages all the time. Chicago's Irish Parade, etc. I don't exactly know many, but you get the idea. White people probably aren't allowed to exclude people from other races because THEY'RE A MAJORITY. They exclude people in other ways, however, which is why many suburbs are a majority white, leaving little room for a heterogeneous population. Nothings stopping you from having a White History month, it would just be unnecessary, because you DO learn about white people every day (mainly because U.S. is around 75% white).

Also, why are you just complaining about BLACK history month?

Native American month is in November
Hispanic Month is middle august between middle september.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 AM

79 posts, read 211,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
You're really ignorant, and selfish. Quit complaining about something you don't have. If there wasn't a Black History month, you wouldn't even take the time to learn about Black History. It's easy to name 20 influential white people, but can you do the same with black people so easily?

Sorry to say, but you learn about white people every day. I'm a student, and I doubt anyone even knows it's Black History Month (at my school, at least). It was created as a way to eliminate some stereotypes about black people, IMO. If you didn't have black history month, majority of the population wouldn't know that black people created peanut butter, the traffic light, or even that an African American woman was the first millionaire in this country. I doubt even people know that to this day, but even less people would know if it wasn't for black history month.

White people celebrate their heritages all the time. Chicago's Irish Parade, etc. I don't exactly know many, but you get the idea. White people probably aren't allowed to exclude people from other races because THEY'RE A MAJORITY. They exclude people in other ways, however, which is why many suburbs are a majority white, leaving little room for a heterogeneous population. Nothings stopping you from having a White History month, it would just be unnecessary, because you DO learn about white people every day (mainly because U.S. is around 75% white).

Also, why are you just complaining about BLACK history month?

Native American month is in November
Hispanic Month is middle august between middle september.
Well said, but i did not know there was Hispanic heritage month.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 AM

146 posts, read 572,024 times
Default Funny!

Quote:
Thankfully February is the shortest month of the year. It's once again time for... tada.... black history month!

Yeah, we get to have the same black history shoved down our throats each February over and over. It's always the same. They glorify the same people over and over, try like mad to find new black people doing something good (and often times with what they come up with it looks like a hard task), and have snippets of of great moments in black history on television.

I ask you, where is the white history month? I'd love to see snippets of white history, a month called white history where we can celebrate in the streets, etc.

Could you imagine, white people getting to celebrate their heritage? People would be sued! Celebrate those white people throughout history that have helped shape this great nation? We white people are not allowed to do anything that excludes another race. But others are allowed to exclude us all they want.

My point is that it wouldn't be allowed. White people are not allowed to celebrate their history and be proud to be white and have a month for them. Nope. Because it doesn't include blacks or other minorities.

And please, don't start telling me that white history is everyday and taught in schools all the time. I spent two years teaching in schools and if you haven't been in schools recently you are out of touch with what is being taught. Black history is being taught in a big way in schools now, and not just in February. So that is simply not true. Kids learn black history all year long and then each February get an even more in-depth lesson on it. Yes, while the populaton is 80 percent white, the kids get black history shoved down their throats.

Excellent sense of humor and an oustanding way to point out racist practices of all stripes. Well done.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Excellent sense of humor and an oustanding way to point out racist practices of all stripes. Well done.
No suprise there.

Mint Green, September 15 to October 15 is National Hispanic Heritage Month.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
Default Here's your history question for Black History Month

Who was Dr. Ossian Sweet?

Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:

I'd like to see us getting rid of any day, month, year, decade, or century that focuses on race. It's just stupidity on steroids.

Everyone has contributed to the success of this country in some way, and it is unfair to single out a particular race. Let's not even talk about the fact that it's racist. Do some of you believe in "good racism"? I hope not.

Personally, I want to know it all. I'm content with studying history, regardless of skin color. It does bother me that I'm of Irish descent and the only thing we get is green beer and stupid symbols like the shamrock posted everywhere for ONE day. Ask a random person about Irish history. I bet the most you come up with is something to do with the IRA, which will probably be wrong. Now ask them a black history question. Odds are they'll have the answer to at least one out of three questions you ask.

Racism, "positive" or negative, breeds more negative racism. I'm still stumped, and I'm an agnostic, at why we can't say "Merry Christmas" but we can get black history rammed down our throats for an entire month every year. There certainly are more christians in this country than there are blacks.

I fight back in my own simple way. I refuse to watch a tv station that broadcasts black history messages, and I refuse to shop in a store that mentions it either.

-TT

Old 02-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I'd like to see us getting rid of any day, month, year, decade, or century that focuses on race. It's just stupidity on steroids.

Everyone has contributed to the success of this country in some way, and it is unfair to single out a particular race. Let's not even talk about the fact that it's racist. Do some of you believe in "good racism"? I hope not.

Personally, I want to know it all. I'm content with studying history, regardless of skin color. It does bother me that I'm of Irish descent and the only thing we get is green beer and stupid symbols like the shamrock posted everywhere for ONE day. Ask a random person about Irish history. I bet the most you come up with is something to do with the IRA, which will probably be wrong. Now ask them a black history question. Odds are they'll have the answer to at least one out of three questions you ask.

Racism, "positive" or negative, breeds more negative racism. I'm still stumped, and I'm an agnostic, at why we can't say "Merry Christmas" but we can get black history rammed down our throats for an entire month every year. There certainly are more christians in this country than there are blacks.

I fight back in my own simple way. I refuse to watch a tv station that broadcasts black history messages, and I refuse to shop in a store that mentions it either.

-TT
So, the solution is; join the soreheads?

What I prefer to do is cite the case of Dr. Sweet. "Oh, yes, black history...remember that guy who was tried for murder because he defended his home from a racist mob with armed deadly force, got Clarence Darrow for a lawyer, and was acquitted? Yes, excellent; we should be reminded that the right to keep and bear arms is a liberal right - don't you agree?" This raises the blood pressure of some who call themselves "liberals" to dangerous levels.

I don't get irritated. I irritate instead.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Yes, Congress has just declared July 8 to be the official Day for Overweight Black Lesbians with One Leg.

Protests were immediately lodged by the Committee for the Advancement of Overweight Black Lesbians with One Left Leg that this showed insensitivity, because those Overweight Black Lesbians with One Right Leg could not possibly understand their problems..

Old 02-12-2007, 09:58 AM

172 posts, read 309,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Yes, Congress has just declared July 8 to be the official Day for Overweight Black Lesbians with One Leg.

Protests were immediately lodged by the Committee for the Advancement of Overweight Black Lesbians with One Left Leg that this showed insensitivity, because those Overweight Black Lesbians with One Right Leg could not possibly understand their problems..
That's so hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies