Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 PM

194 posts, read 361,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
That is if you consider a parasitic fetus a human.

A PARASITIC FETUS???? Are you kidding?? I never ceased to be amazed by the descriptions and terminology people use to strip unborn babies of their humanity! I've heard unborn babies now referred to as vereneral diseases of which abortion is the cure, debris, garbage, mini-monsters, products of conception, bloodclots, ect.......... Semantics may alter perceptions, but they do not change realities; a baby is a baby no matter what you want to call her. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. A baby by any other name is still a baby. How do you think Hitler was able to convince everyone around him to eliminate the Jews?? By using dehumanizing terms such as "useless eaters" and "garbage," which helped blind the people to the fact that real people were being killed! It's so unfortumate how "fetus" was once a good word that spoke of a young human being, but is now used with a subhuman connotation. Heaven forbid you'd use the term baby! Wouldn't want you to see the reality that abortion kills a child, a reality that must be avoided at all costs b/c it would be an uphill battle for anyone defending the practice of killing children. Call an unborn baby what you want but it will never change the reality of what it is- a young member of the human race that is biologically growing every second of it's existence.

A great quote: "Every pro-choice argument requires that we pretend, that we play mind games, that we forget, ignore, or deny the humanity, worth, and dignity of unborn babies. The prochoice movement thrives on having a silent victim. It thrives on our ability to forget and ignore innocent victims as long as they are out of sight. Tell a lie often enough and people will eventually believe it and end up reciting it. This is the story of the prochoice deception in America." Randy Alcorn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Let's rephrase that:

Quote:
Why not make it illegal to make your own reproductive choices no matter what they are?

You can call it "pro-life" You can call it that but that isn't what it is
There...fixed.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOG View Post
A PARASITIC FETUS???? Are you kidding?? I never ceased to be amazed by the descriptions and terminology people use to strip unborn babies of their humanity! I've heard unborn babies now referred to as vereneral diseases of which abortion is the cure, debris, garbage, mini-monsters, products of conception, bloodclots, ect.......... Semantics may alter perceptions, but they do not change realities; a baby is a baby no matter what you want to call her. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. A baby by any other name is still a baby. How do you think Hitler was able to convince everyone around him to eliminate the Jews?? By using dehumanizing terms such as "useless eaters" and "garbage," which helped blind the people to the fact that real people were being killed! It's so unfortumate how "fetus" was once a good word that spoke of a young human being, but is now used with a subhuman connotation. Heaven forbid you'd use the term baby! Wouldn't want you to see the reality that abortion kills a child, a reality that must be avoided at all costs b/c it would be an uphill battle for anyone defending the practice of killing children. Call an unborn baby what you want but it will never change the reality of what it is- a young member of the human race that is biologically growing every second of it's existence.

A great quote: "Every pro-choice argument requires that we pretend, that we play mind games, that we forget, ignore, or deny the humanity, worth, and dignity of unborn babies. The prochoice movement thrives on having a silent victim. It thrives on our ability to forget and ignore innocent victims as long as they are out of sight. Tell a lie often enough and people will eventually believe it and end up reciting it. This is the story of the prochoice deception in America." Randy Alcorn
Thanks for the laughs.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 PM

789 posts, read 1,333,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOG View Post

Quote:
par·a·site (păr'ə-sīt') pronunciation
n.

1. Biology. An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
It is a parasite and a fetus no matter how you look at it. I'm not stripping humanity from it because it is not a human being; it is only potential. That is reality. The word fetus has never referred to a human being in science or the English language. I won't call it a baby because when I do that people think I am talking about a young child, not a fetus. I will be specific so that no one misunderstands me. Both sides have hijacked and manipulated the English language to their benefit but I'm not part of the pro-choice or pro-life side; I'm on my-side.

I guess I will give a quote in response to yours.

Quote:
Despite the potential that a fetus has for becoming a human being, and its similarities to a human being, we cannot say that a fetus is a human being. A fetus resides in a legal and social no-man's land, where rights and personhood can have no force or meaning, unless women are kept thoroughly oppressed. Plus, there are many significant differences between a born human being and a fetus, which creates reasonable doubt as to its status. Because there can be no consensus on the matter, the value accorded to a fetus is a subjective, personal matter. Individuals, not society as a whole, must choose what the status of a fetus should be, based on their personal beliefs, morality, and circumstances. And ultimately, this choice belongs only to pregnant women.
Let's keep Hitler out of this. Quit trying to make the pro-life side out to be Nazis; Nazis killed human beings, pro-choice people kill parasitic fetuses.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
That is a very interesting question, that I have grappled with. I am pro-choice and anti-capital punishment. Pro-choice is not, of course, the same as pro-abortion. It is pro-choice, which does not imply that abortion is ever a favorable result.

I believe that the thing about death that is most terrible is knowing that you are about to die or dying. A fetus in the first trimester does not have this conscious awareness. It is pre-programmed to struggle for life, as any rudimentary organism (even a plant) would do. A species can only survive if it possesses a reflex reaction that tries to escape death. But that is all it is in a pre-conscious being.

On the other hand, it is cruel to impose the knowledge of his death on a being that can rationalize the fear. Even more so to dangle the individual through a decade or so of this horrifying anticipation. It is one thing to be cruel to a rational being who knows you are being cruel and can look in your eyes, and quite another to be cruel to a being that knows nothing of what is transpiring.

It is not death that I would dread. It is the mental anguish of waiting for an impending death, and nothing worse can be inflicted on a person. An early fetus cannot feel this. Something else that must be similarly horrifying, would be a feeling of absolute desperation, with a choice of an alternative denied, which is why I am pro-choice. Desperation is not a nice place to be, and is not made any better by people telling you it is your own fault.

I think it would be much more troubling to have to make the case for pro-life and pro-capital punishment.

I'm going to bore you now with an anecdote. I happened to be watdhing the local news one night in Milwaukee, when there was a story about a young woman who had given birth on an airline flight from Milwaukee to Detroit., and put the baby in a trash receptacle in the plane's bathroom. At the conclusion of the straighforward factual news story, they cut back to the news anchor, a young woman, who looked straight into the camera and said to an obviously judgmental audience, "I wonder how many of you have ever been in a situation in which you were truly desperate." I never saw her again. I strongly suspect that she was fired. But she was one of my heroes, and she gave up a career to open people's eyes to the real world---something that she, as a journalist, had dreamed of doing, and had only once chance to do.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-07-2008 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 11:26 PM

789 posts, read 1,333,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think it would be much more troubling to have to make the case for pro-life and pro-capital punishment.
I don't think you can make a rational for that choice without being a hypocrite. The principles behind the pro-life movement is that it is a fetus is a human being and therefor has a "right to life." A person on death row is, without doubt, a human being so, by their own logic, it must have a "right to life."

Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What a b.s. you try to sell...are you code Pink or some other left wing ....
Please explain to me then how you can be pro life and justify a war where innocent children are killed. Whats the difference? Why is one wrong and the other right? I don't see any difference. If the US (God forbid) was attacked and your child was killed, wouldn't that be murder? I just need a good definition of pro life. It seems yours is very limited. Pro life means pro life right? Not just some lives. The only thing I am not is narrow minded.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
being pro choice is allowing someone to make their own decision
[/thread]

Pro-choice is all about...CHOICE.

Anyways, it's a misnomer to compare abortion to the death penalty. One kills a fetus which barely even qualifies as a life. The other kills a actual developed human being which can (in many cases) be rehabilitated into a useful member of society.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 AM

I am very concerned that most (but not all) pro-lifers make an exception in the case of rape or incest. Even more hypocritical. How can you be so concerned about the life of a fetus, and then, when the fetus' father is found to be either a rapist or family-related, you say, "Oh, never mind, then, throw it in the dumpster if you wish. The fetus is now a lesser life, no longer important enough to save."

Old 09-08-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Bottom line, you're ok with killing babies but no ok with killing convicted murderers.

No need for any more explanation. That's what it boils down to.
Yes, I am. I explained why, but I'll do it again. Babies are not aware of what is happening to them, so there is no emotional cruelty in killing them. On the other hand, we execute convicts precisely BECAUSE we have a vindictive urge to be cruel. We want to look in their eyes when we kill them and say "There, this is what you deserve". That is not just cruel, that is sociopathological. People who need to be cruel to somebody, so they pick on offenders.

There is nothing more destructive to the intellectual development of humanity than a person who says "No need to explain---I am right". If that is what you do to the minds of children, you might as well abort them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies